News and Events > Science & Medical News

Doctors may soon be legally able to refuse to treat trans people

<< < (2/9) > >>

AnneK:

--- Quote from: Zumbagirl on October 11, 2019, 12:09:54 pm ---I actually support this but not for the reasons you think. I don't believe anyone should be forced to do anything for another person and that includes medicine. Let's be honest what are we talking about a handful of doctors in the US and suddenly it's a constitutional crisis? I doubt it. Any government that is powerful to force a doctor to perform srs surgery on someone is also powerful enough to make a trans person do things they don't want to do. It cuts both ways.

--- End quote ---

In Ontario, where I live, if a doctor doesn't want to do something for religious or moral grounds, they are required by law to refer to another doctor who will.  There was a lot of push back on that from those who didn't want to do that service.  They not only didn't want to do it, they didn't want any other doctor to do it.  In short, they wanted to force their beliefs on their patients, who may not share those beliefs.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-appeal-court-doctors-referrals-objections-1.5136455

Julielynn:
Personally, if I went to a doctor, I think I'd rather have him/her be a willing doctor than an unwilling one who might do less than desirable even if sufficient work just due to their position.   It's like forcing a cook to make you the best meal you can get when he doesn't like you.   Probably not going to get your food poisoned, but it sure won't be the best work either.  And with medical, I'd rather know if they had a problem before I let them mess with my health.       

Laurie K:
can I say how happy I am to live in Canada .... for the most part, we try to embrace those who are in need ... health care in Canada is universal and for all

Bittydrew:
Glad I changed my doctor to a transgender friendly one she's amazing and very helpful

AnneK:

--- Quote from: Bittydrew on October 12, 2019, 10:47:22 am ---Glad I changed my doctor to a transgender friendly one she's amazing and very helpful

--- End quote ---

Mine seems to be OK too.  I've been going to her for years and she referred me to an endocrinologist last year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version