Author Topic: Nails: How you can prevent breakage, what is best to do when they break?  (Read 774 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
Nails:

What are your ideas on how we can prevent breakage of our fingernails?

After they break, what should you do - when and how can they be salvaged?  I simply try to make the nail not ragged and let time pass for it to grow out.

I have been keeping them short but they do seem to occasionally get caught on things, sometimes in clothing and I pull a thread, which is annoying!

Hugs,   :)

Chrissy
Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Lisa89125

• Family
Hi Chrissy, My nails always end up either catching something or getting snapped off. When snapped, I usually file them and let them grow out again. Sometimes if cracked, I have to cut them off short which sux!

Lisa
"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
Nails: How you can prevent breakage, what is best to do when they break?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 09:55:37 pm »
Hi Chrissy, My nails always end up either catching something or getting snapped off. When snapped, I usually file them and let them grow out again. Sometimes if cracked, I have to cut them off short which sux!

Lisa

We need to get this problem nailed down!  Ha!   :)

Chrissy
Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Linde

• Full time for some time

We need to get this problem nailed down!  Ha!   :)

Chrissy
I have nail polish on always all the time.  I first put a layer of clear polish on, let it dry very well for hours, follow up with the color of my choice (my favorite is the red that can be seen on the avatar), ad let that dry well again.  When this is dry, I put another layer of clear on top.
This way, my nails gain a little more strength.  If I happen to break ne, the file is my friend.  I file the wreck of a nail, until it loos decent gin, und touch it up with some polish.

Offline Allie Jayne

I use a hand and nail cream with keeps my nails supple (and my hands soft) so my nails don't snap from being too dry. I have my hands in water a lot, which can take out some of the natural oils. If I get a small crack near an edge, I file it back, but if it is a large crack, there is little you can do to save it short of a salon visit!!

Allie

Online Maid Marion

I bought glove a size larger.

I found by keeping them long I develop an awareness of just how long they are.

Avoid  getting into situations where you have to rush with your hands.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
I heard that having enough vitamin B12 is important for your nails and skin.
So good diet and nutrition helps, like it helps for so many things.

Chrissy

Offline Linde

I heard that having enough vitamin B12 is important for your nails and skin.
So good diet and nutrition helps, like it helps for so many things.

Chrissy
I take B12 supplements, my nails seem to care less!

Offline Jessica

• I love you. No...... I might not know you, but if folk can hate for no good reason, I can love.
Biotin is what my wife takes and it does a good job.  When I took it my body hair started growing like crazy.  Had to put a stop to that.  Now it’s a gel coat at the salon.

Hugs and smiles 🌸🌸

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
Nails: How you can prevent breakage, what is best to do when they break?
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 07:11:58 pm »
I have found that when my nails get "too long" I have a bad habit of biting them!  Ugh!
I have not resorted to a cayenne pepper nail coat to stop that biting.

I can say that I am having them break or tear from their length about as often as me biting them now, so that is progress.

I have not got this biting nailed down yet though!   :)

Chrissy

Offline Linde

I have found that when my nails get "too long" I have a bad habit of biting them!  Ugh!
I have not resorted to a cayenne pepper nail coat to stop that biting.

I can say that I am having them break or tear from their length about as often as me biting them now, so that is progress.

I have not got this biting nailed down yet though!   :)

Chrissy
I am lucky, I never was a nail biter.  But I think nail biting stems from some kind of nervous and insecurity feeling.
It is a habit that can be eliminated over time.
Maybe, once you are a happy woman, those bad habits go away?

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
Re: Nails: How you can prevent breakage, what is best to do when they break?
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 04:29:11 pm »
Never use your fingernails to dig, like in a flowerpot, just use your fingertips if need be, or better yet, a tool!   :)

Chrissy

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 06:58:39 am »
Does anyone else here occasionally bite your fingernails?

Chrissy

Offline JudiBlueEyes

• Family
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2020, 10:27:38 am »
I was a compulsive nail biter until 2005 when I vowed to quit on my BD.  Soon after someone in my family was involved in a terrific accident.  Despite the stress I held on and gave up the habit.  I love that my nails are so nice. 
Wind blew in, cloud was dispersed
Rainbows appearing, the pressures were burst
Breezes a-singing, now feeling good
The moment had passed like I knew that it should

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
I have been noticing that it seems that my fingernails are not as hard or thick as they were in the past.

This is a little annoying but I hear it is not universal however not uncommon among MTFs.

Chrissy

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
@ChrissyRyan
Dear Christine:
You hit the "nail" on the head.  Especially since I went Full Time (I've been on HRT for 5 years) I am breaking or cracking my fingernails frequently....
... they are definitely thinner and not as thick or strong.   
Plus, as a woman I have longer nails than men have so my nails are "out there" exposed and ready to be damaged!!!

The price of beauty.   :)

HUGS,
Danielle

Quote from: author=ChrissyRyan link=topic=247086.msg2368968#msg2368968 date=1589680671
I have been noticing that it seems that my fingernails are not as hard or thick as they were in the past.

This is a little annoying but I hear it is not universal however not uncommon among MTFs.

Chrissy
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
That's interesting. I'm pre-HRT and I've never broken a nail; maybe that's because male nails are thicker than female ones, as seems to be reported here.

Having longer nails as female isn't on my list of desires. I like my nails short enough to be practical. Although I suppose I should say that that is how I feel right now. HRT may change my desires somewhat; I am aware of that.

Edit: mail -> male
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 02:41:34 am by Ellie_Arroway »
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: "kind of" started 15 Jul 2020
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline Jessica_K

I had lovely long nails that rarely broke until lockdown:-(
I always had my nails done professionally with gels but I cannot do them my self plus I ruined my nails getting the damn stuff off. Now they are short and breaking all the time. Roll on nail bar reopening

Jessica xxx

Offline TSL_NB

I know it's a bit of an old thread, but this is another thing I have been observing.

I struggled with some pretty severe psoriasis outbreaks in the past (much of which was stress-related), and that affects the nails just like it does the skin (mine became very brittle whenever the psoriasis blew up, so in the past, I just opted to keep them extremely short).

Since I managed to get the psoriasis under control (coming out was the BIG part of that, in terms of the stress control), I started using biotin supplements as well, and my nails are growing very nicely, and looking pretty fierce now....in the best of ways. :)
It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
I know it's a bit of an old thread, but this is another thing I have been observing.

I struggled with some pretty severe psoriasis outbreaks in the past (much of which was stress-related), and that affects the nails just like it does the skin (mine became very brittle whenever the psoriasis blew up, so in the past, I just opted to keep them extremely short).

Since I managed to get the psoriasis under control (coming out was the BIG part of that, in terms of the stress control), I started using biotin supplements as well, and my nails are growing very nicely, and looking pretty fierce now....in the best of ways. :)

That is good news.  It is so nice to have pretty nails.

Chrissy

Tags: