Author Topic: TV Series with major trans characters  (Read 594 times)

Offline KennaL

TV Series with major trans characters
« on: June 22, 2019, 06:56:00 am »
Hi,
I'm fairly new here but over the last month I've come across a couple of TV series that feature transgender principal characters.  Do people know of any others?

The first was referred to me by my psychologist as the lead character is about my age and has a similar family structure, although not much else in common with me:  Transparent, starring Jeffrey Tambor which ran from 2014 to 2017, but IMDB implies that a new season may be in the works for 20109.  It's about a professor who upon retiring finally has the courage to come out as MtF trans-gender and the impact this has on adult children.  I seem to have paused a few episodes into season 2 as I don't find any of the characters very likable, but that's just me.

The second, which I stumbled on while scanning titles is Hit & Miss, starring Chloë Sevigny.  It's a British series set in rural Yorkshire, filmed in 2012.  It was clearly intended to have more seasons, but they never came.  Its about a transgender woman, working as an assassin, who suddenly discovers that she has an 11-year old son.  Some great acting, especially the kids, but people with a police background or an eye for forensic detail will be hugely frustrated at some of the holes.

In Australia they're both on Stan, but I've no idea where they might be found elsewhere.

Cheers,
Kenna

Offline mouseish

Re: TV Series with major rans characters
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 07:00:14 am »
Great post, but check your title.  I think you made a typo.  It happens to the best of us😉

Offline KennaL

Re: TV Series with major trans characters
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 07:08:15 am »
 :embarrassed:
Oops!  Thanks.  Fixed now.
Kenna

Offline mouseish

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 07:12:35 am »
No problem sweetie.  Us girls gotta help each other out.

Ricki Wright

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 01:16:53 pm »
"Butterfly" on Hulu is a 3 part series. Also Supergirl has a trans character: As the first transgender superhero, actress Nicole Maines, who portrays Dreamer on the CW show, wants to break the mold of trans characters on television.

Not a Major character, and still one I spotted and verfied: One of the Group members in "One day at a time" is trans. The show itself is wonderful and funny and is painfully true sometimes. Nicky Endres is an actor who plays both male and female roles.

Hugs,

Ricki

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 02:46:44 pm »
The "Chicago's County General Hospital based" television series named ER had an episode aired in 2008, season 14, episode 18, titled "Tandem Repeats" in which a mtf character was in the emergency room because of taking a street-purchased Estrogen that was tainted.  I will not provide a spoiler as to what happened.  Her parents that visited her in the ER did not know that she was mtf.

In season one, episode nine, aired in 1994, titled "ER Confidential," a mtf character thought that she "could no longer pass" and was counseled on the hospital's rooftop to try to have her avoid jumping off the roof.  I will not provide a spoiler as to what happened.

I think there may have been a few other episodes in the 15 year run of this NBC Television series that featured <transgender> people, plus the show had homosexual story arcs, characters, and scenes.

Chrissy
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 04:35:41 pm by ChrissyRyan »
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline big kim

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 04:16:24 pm »
Sons of Anarchy has Walton Goggins giving an awesome performance as Venus van Damme, a trans hooker (plot spoiler if I tell anymore)

Offline Dena

• Family
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 04:32:46 pm »
If you want to go early, Medical Center in 1975 had a story that ran two episodes with Robert Reed as a MTF character. The name of it was "The Fourth Sex". It even seems to be available on Youtube.
Rebirth Date 1982 - My Transition

Offline MistressStevie

• Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 05:41:20 pm »
Netflix' Sense8 by the Wachowskis with Jamie Clayton in a key roll fits the major character role.   Pity they did not get to continue the series for a couple more seasons.     

Offline Lexxi

• MTF Trans Woman
  • 50 Year old MTF
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 08:50:49 pm »
There's a new show on HBO called Euphoria and it stars Zendaya and Hunter Schafer. Schafer is a trans girl in real life, and plays one on the show too. It's a REALLY good show!!
Finally started the process of becoming the real me! 5/20/19
Came out online 5/20/19
First time coming out face to face 6/3/19
First therapist appointment for HRT 6/3/19
Got my letter for HRT 6/10/19
Came out to my mom 6/18/19
Started HRT 7/12/19

Offline MaryT

• Family
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 06:43:03 am »

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles had a MTF trans character playing an important role in one episode.

Kate Bornstein Weighs in on Last Night's Trannytastic Terminator

Offline KathyLauren

• Casting off dull certainty
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 03:09:56 pm »
Tales of the City, on Netflix, has several trans characters.  It has some really good acting.  A lead role, an elderly trans lady, is played by Olympia Dukakis.

[edit] I just watched episode 8 (it's a 10 part series).  It needs a trigger warning: it is pretty intense.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 08:23:44 pm by KathyLauren »
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly, beginning full-time; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2019-10-18 Phone consultation for GRS; 2020-03-11 GRS!; 2020-09-30 New birth certificate

Offline VeronicaLynn

• Family
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 11:47:32 pm »
Pose has multiple major and minor trans characters, most of the major characters are trans. The second season is currently airing on FX in the US.

Offline AlexisTO

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 08:27:29 am »
Also highly recommend Sens8!!

Season 3 of Netflix's "Jessica Jones" has a new supporting trans character; part of what I like about it is how there's an unspoken and complete acceptance of her identity as a woman. We don't get to see her all that much unfortunately but I really enjoy every scene she's in!

Offline Arctic Kat

• Friend
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 03:31:12 pm »
Well… One of my favorite cartoons as a kid was Rocko’s Modern Life.
The long-awaited “Static Cling” special arrived on Netflix, showing what’s changed in the show’s world during Rocko’s 20-year absence.
It turns out there is a trans character. I was a bit skeptical about this character’s portrayal at first, but it was actually not bad.
Waarom mag een jongen nooit prinsesje
Waarom mag een meisje nooit superman zijn
Elke vogel bouwt z'n eigen nestje
Hier bij ons mag iedereen zijn wie ze zijn

Offline Sephirah

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 03:56:32 pm »
JayR Tinaco is a non-binary trans character in the series "Another Life". A Netflix offering I watched recently. Sadly... as a show it's really not that good at all. It's like a "throw every sci-fi idea as spaghetti at a wall and see what sticks".

Offline Sephirah

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 04:03:06 pm »
JayR Tinaco is a non-binary trans character in the series "Another Life". A Netflix offering I watched recently. Sadly... as a show it's really not that good at all. It's like a "throw every sci-fi idea as spaghetti at a wall and see what sticks".

The only reason I watched it is because it has Katee Sackhoff in it (and the reboot of Battlestar Galactica is in my top three of all time best TV sci fi shows ever made). She practically carries the whole show. It isn't good. But... that isn't the fault of the acting cast. More the script, plot, and premise. :P

Tags: