Community Conversation > Legal Matters

Gender Change in Nova Scotia

(1/2) > >>

KathyLauren:
The promised changes to gender registration that were legislated last year are finally going to become available!

As of July 9th:

Change of Sex Indicator Services:
•   An additional sex indicator, X, will be available for individuals who do not identify exclusively as male or female
•   X cannot be selected for a child at the time of their birth
•   Anyone can apply to have their sex indicator changed to M, F, or X
   o   Nova Scotian born applicants can obtain a new birth certificate displaying their updated sex indicator and they will also receive a Certificate of Change
   o   Non-Nova Scotian born applicants will receive a Certificate of Change displaying their updated sex indicator
   o   Non-Nova Scotian born applicants must have resided in the province for at least 3-months to be eligible
•   Applicants aged 16 and older will need to make a statutory declaration to state their preferred sex indicator change
•   Applicants aged 15 and younger will still need to provide a written statement from a physician or psychologist
•   There is no fee to change your sex indicator with Vital Statistics

Certificates
•   Both long and short form Birth Certificates will have the option to have no sex indicator displayed (available to anyone born in Nova Scotia, whether they have changed their sex indicator or not)
•   When a person has made a change to their sex indictor, if they return their original Birth Certificate to Vital Statistics, they can receive a new Birth Certificate for free.  A fee will be charge for the issuance of any subsequent birth certificates.

Jessica:
Wonderful Kathy!  Canada is moving in the right direction.

KathyLauren:
I have been waiting for this for a couple of years now.  I am in the "Non-Nova Scotian born applicants" category with a British birth certificate. 

The Brits make it darned near impossible for non-residents to change their BC, requiring a two-year RLE waiting period and then your GD has to be certified by a British-registered doctor.  And since Nova Scotia wouldn't, until now, let you change anything without changing your BC first, I've been stuck.

This change will blow the log jam on my paperwork.  I will finally be able to get a driver's licence that says "F" (I've officially been a male Kathleen until now >:( ), and then use that ID to get my citizenship records changed.  And finally, I'll be able to send all that stuff to the Brits (under a different process) and have them change my birth certificate.  Neener-neener!

KathyLauren:
For anyone in NS planning to take advantage of this new service, you should note that local Access Nova Scotia offices cannot process the forms.  They have to go to directly to Vital Statistics, either by mail or in person at the Halifax office. 

I found this out the hard way!  I had hoped to be first in line.  I have to go into the city next week for a doctor's appointment, so I'll drop in to the Vital Statistics office then.  Mailing it would be no faster.

Northern Star Girl:
@KathyLauren
Dear Kathy:
So sorry to read of your local difficulties with your nearby government offices.   How long of a drive is it for you to get to your necessary bigger city to take care of this matter? ???

I have the same problem here, there are no local government offices in my small town and it is a long, long drive to a larger city like to Fairbanks to take care of some issues and there are times that for some government business and for some medical appointments I have to take a 7 hour drive to Anchorage to get things taken care of. ... 

...but I have no desire to live in a big city, I am sure that is why you live where you do as well.

Please keep us all posted as you feel so led.
Note:  I am getting ready to give you my special supportive words, a much bigger Wow-Whee and a Wow-zers when you finally have success!!!!
HUGS,
Danielle   

--- Quote from: KathyLauren on July 09, 2019, 10:51:31 am ---For anyone in NS planning to take advantage of this new service, you should note that local Access Nova Scotia offices cannot process the forms.  They have to go to directly to Vital Statistics, either by mail or in person at the Halifax office. 

I found this out the hard way!  I had hoped to be first in line.  I have to go into the city next week for a doctor's appointment, so I'll drop in to the Vital Statistics office then.  Mailing it would be no faster.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version