Author Topic: Standing positions and posture  (Read 2548 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
Standing positions and posture
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2020, 08:20:56 pm »
Sometimes I stand with more weight on one leg than the other, and sometimes with a hand resting on one side of the top of my hip, with thumb facing backwards and fingers facing towards the center of my hips.  I am unsure why, maybe this is some kind of mannerism that I have acquired over time. 

Maybe this is a substitute mannerism for standing and fidgeting with keys or coins in my pocket.
As I rarely put neither in my pocket now, perhaps this gives me something to do with one of my hands.

Chrissy

@CynthiaAnn @Roll

Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2020, 10:29:05 pm »
I almost never stand with both hands in my front pockets anymore.  In fact, no hand in either front pocket. Maybe if I was really cold I would.  But not for a typical stance.  Guys seem to stand with both hands in their front pockets a lot more often than women do.

How and what have you thought about your posture and how you stand?  Good posture is good to have.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: Standing positions and posture
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2020, 10:33:07 pm »
- - - - - - - - - snipped- - - - - -
Maybe this is a substitute mannerism for standing and fidgeting with keys or coins in my pocket.
As I rarely put neither in my pocket now, perhaps this gives me something to do with one of my hands.

Chrissy
@ChrissyRyan
Dear Chrissy....
  Pockets??? Most clothing that I wear, probably like a lot of women's clothes that you may wear, does not have usable pockets... to shallow, too small, and sometimes non-existent!!!
HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2020, 10:38:15 pm »
@ChrissyRyan
Dear Chrissy....
  Pockets??? Most clothing that I wear, probably like a lot of women's clothes that you may wear, does not have usable pockets... to shallow, too small, and sometimes non-existent!!!
HUGS,
Danielle

That is true.  I have another thread about those shallow pants pockets.

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242445.0.html

Chrissy

Offline Erika_

• Friend
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2020, 10:48:57 pm »
I have no clue.

But I've been told my mannerisms are feminine, so that's good enough for me.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2020, 10:52:16 pm »
I have no clue.

That means someone said she or he noticed.  Plus that person or persons took the time to share that perception with you.

That’s good!   :)

Chrissy

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2020, 11:11:52 pm »
I have no clue.

@Erika_

Yes indeed, good news and a good report that is so self-assuring to you, and confidence building.

The transitioning journey is a work in progress.... so many things to deal with, mannerisms, walking and sitting, body movements, eating, having conversations, wording, voice and inflections.... etc, etc.
I had spent a lot of time "people watching" at busy airports, shopping malls, restaurants, etc.... 

Thank you for sharing and posting.

HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Online sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2020, 05:19:35 am »
I almost never stand with both hands in my front pockets anymore.  In fact, no hand in either front pocket. Maybe if I was really cold I would.  But not for a typical stance.  Guys seem to stand with both hands in their front pockets a lot more often than women do.

How and what have you thought about your posture and how you stand?  Good posture is good to have.

Chrissy

I still have a tendency to want to put my hands in pant pockets. But I think it is not feminine to do so in many settings. Hands in coat pockets or informal jacket styles is different...that seems pretty common.

I find the most important thing for my posture to look feminine is is to stand with my legs close together. The male tendency is to have a wider stance and imo that looks bad for many trans women. There is a certain wide stance that some women occasionally do, but it looks different than a guy’s stance. I think wide stances for women can work if they have proportionately longer legs, petite torsos, and stand in a way that demonstrates dramatic lines (like some models do). Sadly, I have proportionately shorter legs, so it doesn’t look great for me.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline noleen111

• Family
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2020, 06:05:39 am »
That was something I had to learn,

I had a close female friend coach me in the beginning, but I also spent a lot of time as someone on this forum said "people watching" at  shopping malls, restaurants

two things, I had to really watch in the beginning, was standing with my legs closer together and sitting like a lady, crossed legged or with my knees touching.  I struggled with sitting like a lady in the beginning, or remembering too. This is important, especially when you wear a skirt or a dress. Sitting with your legs crossed is easier after SRS, Something I learnt quickly, was that skirt straightening wipe down (I dunno how to describe it), before sitting.. so the skirt does not look creased, when you get up.

But now as the years went on, it became second nature.
Enjoying ride the hormones are giving me... finally becoming the woman I always knew I was

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2020, 07:03:31 am »
I find that I need to consciously think of maintaining good posture.
I think I sit too much also so I force myself to retry to walk around.
I have not bought a standing as I work desk though, it has crossed my mind.

Chrissy

Online sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2020, 08:41:08 am »
I know many people who enjoy standing desks. For me, however, I found it very difficult to stay concentrated when standing at a desk as I am very fidgety. Sitting down helps me calm down and get focused. So it doesn’t work for me. And even if I had a standing desk...I’d probably still slouch anyway!

Sarah

I find that I need to consciously think of maintaining good posture.
I think I sit too much also so I force myself to retry to walk around.
I have not bought a standing as I work desk though, it has crossed my mind.

Chrissy
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline heather3791

• Neighbor
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2020, 10:10:54 am »
I stand with feet together and arms crossed low with my hands cradling my elbows.

Offline ramilove

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2020, 11:24:48 am »
My posture has vastly improved since starting transition, back erect, shoulders down and back, chest out, legs together either crossed at the ankles while sitting at the desk, crossed above the knees when sitting watching TV. When I walk my head is up with one foot in front of the other, mostly. 
Electrolysis 3/4/2020
Estradiol 3/10/2020

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2020, 05:05:48 pm »
Too many people are seen slouched while sitting, shoulders protruding ahead of them, heads down.  They are usually also texting away. 

Chrissy

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2021, 07:30:18 am »
Good posture is important.
I think daily exercise is good for this but I have seen very fit athletes slouch.

Chrissy

Tags: