Author Topic: Gun violence the new normal  (Read 2483 times)

Online Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Re: Gun violence the new normal
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2019, 06:49:15 am »
I have studied WW2 history extensively.  Why have I never heard of that gun collection before?

I could make some comments about out of control government, but won't, to keep politics out.  However, what events over the past several years have shown is that Americans have much more to fear from these "gun rights" types, than the government.

The British Home Guard, Dad's Army. The bunkers are still in the farmers fields to this day.
Veteran, US Army

Offline AnneK

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 08:00:19 am »
The British Home Guard, Dad's Army. The bunkers are still in the farmers fields to this day.

I am aware of the home guard.  I am not aware of shipping guns to England, though guns were collected in England for that purpose.  As the U.S. was neutral, until Pearl Harbor, it would have been illegal, under international law, for the U.S. to send those weapons.  In fact, Canadian trains, carrying troops or weapons, were not allowed to use the Canadian Pacific railway line that passed through Maine, as that would also violate the law.  Roosevelt bent the rules a bit with Lend Lease, where he'd park aircraft, etc. near the border, where they could be "found" and taken over the border into Canada.  He also loaned Britain some obsolete warships, in exchange for naval bases in Newfoundland (then not yet part of Canada) and Bermuda.

Unless someone can come up with some evidence, I have to consider that gun collection to be "alternative fact" created by the pro gun crowd.
I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2019, 08:09:02 am »
Our capacity to do harm to each other is frightening.

Another example would be the Oklahoma bomber.  While he used fertilizer and nitromethane, he was very much a gun rights advocate.  And like many such advocates, he was more prepared than the average person to use violence.
I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Online Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2019, 08:10:16 am »
I am aware of the home guard.  I am not aware of shipping guns to England, though guns were collected in England for that purpose.  As the U.S. was neutral, until Pearl Harbor, it would have been illegal, under international law, for the U.S. to send those weapons.  In fact, Canadian trains, carrying troops or weapons, were not allowed to use the Canadian Pacific railway line that passed through Maine, as that would also violate the law.  Roosevelt bent the rules a bit with Lend Lease, where he'd park aircraft, etc. near the border, where they could be "found" and taken over the border into Canada.  He also loaned Britain some obsolete warships, in exchange for naval bases in Newfoundland (then not yet part of Canada) and Bermuda.

Unless someone can come up with some evidence, I have to consider that gun collection to be "alternative fact" created by the pro gun crowd.

"Supplies of small arms to the Home Guard improved radically after July 1940; when, with the active support of President Roosevelt the British Government was able to purchase 500,000 M1917 Enfield Rifles and 25,000 M1918 Browning Automatic Rifles from the reserve stock of the U.S. armed forces; "

Clearly before Pearl Harbor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Guard_(United_Kingdom)

Veteran, US Army

Offline AnneK

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2019, 08:18:55 am »
"Supplies of small arms to the Home Guard improved radically after July 1940; when, with the active support of President Roosevelt the British Government was able to purchase 500,000 M1917 Enfield Rifles and 25,000 M1918 Browning Automatic Rifles from the reserve stock of the U.S. armed forces; "

Clearly before Pearl Harbor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Guard_(United_Kingdom)

Taking guns from reserve stock is not "a collection of unneeded firearms" that might be donated by the population.  As I mentioned, Roosevelt bent the rules a bit to support Britain.  A lot of Britain's weapons and other supplies came from Canada and other commonwealth countries.  My own mother did war work, making rifles.

Online Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2019, 08:19:54 am »
Okay
Veteran, US Army

Online MistressStevie

• Neighbor
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2019, 10:57:49 pm »

Ian McCollum is a very meticulous researcher.  The photo linked below and a quote from Winston Churchill
suggest there is some historical evidence to the claim. 

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/vintage-saturday-send-a-gun-to-defend-a-british-home/

“When the ships from America approached our shores with their priceless arms special trains were waiting in all the ports to receive their cargoes,” Churchill recalled. “The Home Guard in every county, in every town, in every village, sat up all through the night to receive them…. By the end of July we were an armed nation…. a lot of our men and some women had weapons in their hands.”

Colleen_definitely

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2019, 08:26:05 am »
In my opinion, those people are the problem.

I own firearms for protection, collection, competition, recreation, and hunting. 

Obviously I'm a huge part of the problem and a menace to society. 

Ian McCollum is a very meticulous researcher. 

I know Ian personally.  The lengths he goes to in his research is really impressive.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2019, 08:55:04 am »
I own firearms for protection, collection, competition, recreation, and hunting. 

Obviously I'm a huge part of the problem and a menace to society. 

That is not what I said and I also used to own a rifle.  My problem is with those who seem to think more guns are the answer to any problem, including gun violence.  As I mentioned, I think Americans have much more to fear from those who claim they need to have guns, even a small armory, to protect themselves from the government or.  I also think a very big problem is that many gun owners are very careless.  They claim gun rights, but forget all about gun responsibilities.  Just yesterday, I heard on the news, about someone who pulled a gun on someone delivering furniture, because he was late arriving.  Does that sound like responsible gun ownership?  What about those who leave their guns where kids can reach them?  How many times have we heard of children shooting someone or even themselves, because they were able to get their hands on a gun.  Also, one problem we have in Canada is about 70% of guns used in crime have been smuggled in from the U.S..  There are some states where it is very easy for a straw buyer to buy several guns and then sell them to others, who bring them across the border.  If there were, for example, a gun registration, where people have to register them on purchase and then change the registration on transfer to someone else, just like we do with cars, that might go a very long way to reducing crime violence, as it would identify the straw buyers.  There are lots of ways to improve the situation, without banning guns.  However, as long as the NRA and gun rights advocates have their way, the situation can only get worse.  As an example, I mentioned the NRA opposing Seattle bringing in gun SAFETY laws.  Why would an organization who's founding principle was gun and hunting safety be opposed to gun safety laws?  Then we have situations like Newton Conn., where the mother of a known psychotic kid encourage his gun use.  She wound up being his first victim, because of her unbelievable stupidity.  Also, there were known problems with that kid in Dayton the other day.  Yet, he was able to get a gun.  BTW, Ohio was identified as one of the states where straw buyers get guns.

It is this sort of nonsense that leads to so much violence, a situation that seems to affect mainly the U.S., among all the civilized countries in the world.

Also, why does any civilian have any need for an automatic rifle??  Are they using them for squirrel hunting??
Or do they just reserve them for mass murder??

Online Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2019, 09:04:19 am »
Can we get back to the part where you said that the US didn't send guns to England and you considered those made up facts, and multiple people provided facts, and you were silent as a statue?  :laugh:
Veteran, US Army

Offline AnneK

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2019, 09:25:01 am »
Can we get back to the part where you said that the US didn't send guns to England and you considered those made up facts, and multiple people provided facts, and you were silent as a statue?  :laugh:

Actually, I did respond to one of your comments and your response to mine was "Okay".

Regardless, what happened during WW2 has nothing to do with the situation we have today where there have been at least 255 mass shootings in the U.S. this year.  Why, among all the civilized countries, is the U.S. alone in this, when there are so many guns for "protection"?

Offline amandam

• Friend
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2019, 09:27:52 am »
Wowsers Anne, you gotta stop reading the DU.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2019, 09:30:04 am »
Wowsers Anne, you gotta stop reading the DU.

What's the "DU"?

Offline kaygee

• Mademoiselle💃
  • A very stable genius.🤪
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2019, 09:34:07 am »
What's the "DU"?

Enquiring minds want to know.😎
Give me ambiguity... or give me something else.

-Patrick… somebody

Colleen_definitely

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2019, 11:08:19 am »
That is not what I said and I also used to own a rifle.  My problem is with those who seem to think more guns are the answer to any problem, including gun violence.  As I mentioned, I think Americans have much more to fear from those who claim they need to have guns, even a small armory, to protect themselves from the government or.  I also think a very big problem is that many gun owners are very careless.  They claim gun rights, but forget all about gun responsibilities.  Just yesterday, I heard on the news, about someone who pulled a gun on someone delivering furniture, because he was late arriving.  Does that sound like responsible gun ownership?  What about those who leave their guns where kids can reach them?  How many times have we heard of children shooting someone or even themselves, because they were able to get their hands on a gun.  Also, one problem we have in Canada is about 70% of guns used in crime have been smuggled in from the U.S..  There are some states where it is very easy for a straw buyer to buy several guns and then sell them to others, who bring them across the border.  If there were, for example, a gun registration, where people have to register them on purchase and then change the registration on transfer to someone else, just like we do with cars, that might go a very long way to reducing crime violence, as it would identify the straw buyers.  There are lots of ways to improve the situation, without banning guns.  However, as long as the NRA and gun rights advocates have their way, the situation can only get worse.  As an example, I mentioned the NRA opposing Seattle bringing in gun SAFETY laws.  Why would an organization who's founding principle was gun and hunting safety be opposed to gun safety laws?  Then we have situations like Newton Conn., where the mother of a known psychotic kid encourage his gun use.  She wound up being his first victim, because of her unbelievable stupidity.  Also, there were known problems with that kid in Dayton the other day.  Yet, he was able to get a gun.  BTW, Ohio was identified as one of the states where straw buyers get guns.

It is this sort of nonsense that leads to so much violence, a situation that seems to affect mainly the U.S., among all the civilized countries in the world.

Also, why does any civilian have any need for an automatic rifle??  Are they using them for squirrel hunting??
Or do they just reserve them for mass murder??

First let's address a definition problem.  Semi-automatic and automatic are different things.  The first goes bang once when you pull the trigger no matter how long you hold that trigger down, the second is a machine gun.  Machine guns in the USA have been very tightly regulated since 1934. 

And yes I have used a semi automatic .22 rifle and pistol for rabbit and squirrel hunting in a responsible manner.  I've gone turkey hunting using a semi automatic shotgun capable of using 15 round magazines.  (it's one of my competition shotguns used in multigun competitions normally but it makes a great turkey gun)  I've taken an AR-15 equipped with a dastardly silencer deer hunting because I have enough hearing damage as it is and they actually make pretty good deer rifles.  So what was that about these not being any good for hunting?  An ethical hunter uses as few shots as possible whether the firearm used has five shots or fifty shots on board.

Your examples of people using guns for illegal things is not something that is going to be solved by registration.  They're already doing something against the law, making it more illegal isn't going to be a deterrent either.  Example: minimum mandatory sentencing for petty crimes or drug crimes doing nothing to prevent said crimes.  An even better example is how registered cars still get used routinely for driving under the influence, vehicular manslaughter, etc...  Sure registration makes it easier to finger the owner, after the damage is done which really doesn't address the real issue does it?

What we have is a cultural problem.  First we glorify violence and normalize it in entertainment.  We have family games based upon running around and killing each other with no consequences where the point of the game is to kill as many other people as possible before dying.  Then we plaster the names of the people who commit these crimes all over the news turning them into pseudo celebrities or even martyrs.

Add to that the unwillingness to address people with psychological problems (see the newtown shooter and the Tucson shooter who shot Congresswoman Giffords).  Everyone knew these kids were a problem, everyone knew that they were crazy, and yet nobody did a thing except point fingers at everyone else after their inaction led to massacres.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2019, 11:35:31 am »
Your examples of people using guns for illegal things is not something that is going to be solved by registration.  They're already doing something against the law, making it more illegal isn't going to be a deterrent either.

I mentioned straw buyers, who provide guns smuggled into Canada as well as to those who shouldn't have them in the U.S.  Why wouldn't registration do something about that, when there will (or should) be a paper trail following the guns?  Those buyers are not doing anything illegal in buying those guns.  It's what happens after they're sold that causes the problem.  As I mentioned we can't buy or sell a car without a paper trail, even though the purpose of those cars is nothing more than transportation.  Yet, a gun, which is meant to kill, is not supposed to be registered?  Why is that?

I also haven't heard any response to why the NRA should oppose gun safety laws, as happened in Seattle.

What we have is a cultural problem.  First we glorify violence and normalize it in entertainment.  We have family games based upon running around and killing each other with no consequences where the point of the game is to kill as many other people as possible before dying.

Funny you should mention that.  Those same games and entertainment are widely available around the world, so the people elsewhere are exposed to the same violent entertainment.  Yet, we don't here about a proportional amount of violence elsewhere.  There have been a few articles about that in the news recently.  Why is it that the U.S. is the one with such a high violence rate?

Incidentally, I just came across this article.  While the guy had all the guns legally, he sure wasn't careful about how he stored them.  Imagine if someone had broken in and stolen all those guns.  Where is his responsible gun ownership.  What if a small child got hold of one of the guns?  And yes, I know this happened in Canada.  In Canada, hand guns are registered, rifles and shotguns are not.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/misdialled-911-call-leads-cops-to-home-with-100-unsecured-guns-1.5238456

Offline amandam

• Friend
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2019, 11:51:14 am »
DU is the Democratic Underground. What I meant was that your stats are skewed.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2019, 11:58:04 am »
DU is the Democratic Underground. What I meant was that your stats are skewed.

Never heard of them and which stats are you referring to?

Offline kaygee

• Mademoiselle💃
  • A very stable genius.🤪
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2019, 12:05:00 pm »

Incidentally, I just came across this article.  While the guy had all the guns legally, he sure wasn't careful about how he stored them.  Imagine if someone had broken in and stolen all those guns.  Where is his responsible gun ownership.  What if a small child got hold of one of the guns?  And yes, I know this happened in Canada.  In Canada, hand guns are registered, rifles and shotguns are not.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/misdialled-911-call-leads-cops-to-home-with-100-unsecured-guns-1.5238456

That could be my late brother-in-law.

He had a mere 50 firearms, mostly unsecured. I daresay that most of them were not registered. He didn't even have them inventoried.

A real gun nut.

Living with him was his son, 18, and his daughter, 22 going on 13. On at least one occasion she picked up a loaded .45, pointed it at him, and said, Hey Dad! Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I would sometimes be working at his house and run across a pistol, loaded and unsecured.

I would remove the clip and hide it.😈

AFAIK, there were no firearm accidents in that house. Once his house was broken into and 2 firearms were stolen.

I don't celebrate anyone's death, but I'm glad I don't have to deal with him and his firearms anymore.
Give me ambiguity... or give me something else.

-Patrick… somebody

Tags: