General Discussions > Spirituality

trans and christian? what the bible say?

<< < (2/8) > >>

Northern Star Girl:
@nvikki
OH, and another thing nvikki:
As you might have noticed that other new members have been encouraged to tell us more about themselves, I would also encourage you to INTRODUCE yourself.

Please plan to write a post and briefly introduce yourself in the Introductions Forum so that other members will be aware of your arrival... therefore you will be able to share your thoughts with more members here.

Thank you again for joining Susan's Place and being involved in the Forums here.
Best wishes to you,
Danielle
NOTE: Now after all of this Greeting Stuff I will  let everyone have this thread back so that the exchange of conversation can continue.
Other members here will certainly be along to give you their comments and replies

kaygee:
Every Christian filters Bible passages through their own prejudices.

The Hebrew Bible, when read in its original language, offers a highly elastic view of gender. And I do mean highly elastic: In Genesis 3:12, Eve is referred to as “he.” In Genesis 9:21, after the flood, Noah repairs to “her” tent. Genesis 24:16 refers to Rebecca as a “young man.” And Genesis 1:27 refers to Adam as “them.”

In Esther 2:7, Mordecai is pictured as nursing his niece Esther. In a similar way, in Isaiah 49:23, the future kings of Israel are prophesied to be “nursing kings.”

See if your fundamentalist family wants to follow these dicta:

If in spite of this you still do not listen to me but continue to be hostile toward me, 28 then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over. 29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters."(Leviticus 26:27-30)

"Master, Moses wrote unto us, If a man's brother die, and leave his wife behind him, and leave no children, that his brother should take his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother." (Mark 12:19)

"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him." (Leviticus 20:9)

and my fave:
"He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord."(Deuteronomy 23:1)

No worries; I left the Christian church decades ago. (Although I am still very much a Quaker.)

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Much more is in the Holy Bible.

randim:
This may be apropos of nothing, but I sometimes have fantasy conversations in my head with some of my evangelical relatives following a transition, and this is something like what I say:

"I've been lost for 50 years and now I'm found.  I finally walk in the light."

It's just fantasy, but it feels like it would be a really true thing to say. Trust your God-given heart and mind.

KathyLauren:
Hi, nvikki, and welcome.

Science tells us that we are born transgender.  It is not something we choose.  In fact, it is the way that God created us.  And He doesn't make mistakes.

For whatever reason, God wanted us to be transgender.  As in the parable of the Talents, when He gives us a gift, He does not want us to bury it and hide it.  He wants us to make something of it.

I don't know how you deal with family who use religion to do the devil's work.  They are family, but what they do is harmful.  Some people find that distance helps, either physical or emotional.

Melinda@heart:

--- Quote from: KathyLauren on August 06, 2019, 09:58:50 am ---Hi, nvikki, and welcome.

Science tells us that we are born transgender.  It is not something we choose.  In fact, it is the way that God created us.  And He doesn't make mistakes.

For whatever reason, God wanted us to be transgender.  As in the parable of the Talents, when He gives us a gift, He does not want us to bury it and hide it.  He wants us to make something of it.

I don't know how you deal with family who use religion to do the devil's work.  They are family, but what they do is harmful.  Some people find that distance helps, either physical or emotional.

--- End quote ---
KathyLauren,

I love your use of that parable. I actually never thought of it that way, but you are spot on. It is a gift. Societal views kept me hidden for most of my life. Fear of rejection and persecution made me feel like what I am was a freak. Religious institutions made me feel like i was demon possessed. But I'm not. I'm exactly what God made me. Mindy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version