Community Conversation > Legal Matters

UK birth certificate

(1/2) > >>

KathyLauren:
For anyone who has changed their U.K. birth certificate, does the revised certificate have any indication that it is a revision?  Or does it look totally like an original?

I assume that the format has changed over 65 years.  The one I have is a hand-written form.  I presume I would get something computer-printed.  Which, in itself, I guess, is a clue that it is not an original.  But I am hoping that it does not say "name and gender changed on <date>".

Dena:
I can't answer that question however as long as the certificate doesn't say it's been changed, you should be fine. If anybody indicates that it's not original, just say it's a replacement for the original. People lose, damage or destroy their original for a number of reason and need to order a replacement. You don't need to tell them that the original was bit different than the one they are looking at.

Nicole70:
Hi Kathy,

I have looked into this previously and will be applying at some point.

I unfortunately can’t find a link to the details I found but to my best recollection it works like this:
Once you have obtained a UK gender recognition certificate it entitles you to apply for a new birth certificate, the new certificate is indistinguishable from any other certificate in that there is no reference to the existence of the original certificate with different name or gender assignment. Births, deaths, and marriages do hold a link between the original certificate (which is not destroyed), and the new one, and that information may only be obtained by relevant authorities by court order.

Nicole

KathyLauren:

--- Quote from: Nicole70 on August 10, 2019, 07:34:41 pm ---Hi Kathy,

I have looked into this previously and will be applying at some point.

I unfortunately can’t find a link to the details I found but to my best recollection it works like this:
Once you have obtained a UK gender recognition certificate it entitles you to apply for a new birth certificate, the new certificate is indistinguishable from any other certificate in that there is no reference to the existence of the original certificate with different name or gender assignment. Births, deaths, and marriages do hold a link between the original certificate (which is not destroyed), and the new one, and that information may only be obtained by relevant authorities by court order.

Nicole

--- End quote ---

Good to know.  Thanks, Nicole!

kira21 ♡♡♡:
It looks like a new birth certificate. It doesn't have any reference to old identity, I would say it looks like you lost your birth certificate and had a replacement one issued (which you can do if you lose yours).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version