Author Topic: 17-Year-Old Becomes "One of" Youngest Patients in the US to Receive GCS  (Read 602 times)

Offline Janes Groove

• Jane's Groove
New Hampshire teen finally comfortable in her own skin after recent transgender surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital
-New York Daily News

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/ny-teen-transgender-surgery-20190724-hca7wabrlbethco3lj3e3dqevy-story.html

The article says she is "one of the youngest" to get SRS in the US.  But I haven't heard of anyone younger having this in the US.  I assume she must be the youngest to go public.

Offline Lexxi

• MTF Trans Woman
  • 50 Year old MTF
Re: 17-Year-Old Becomes "One of" Youngest Patients in the US to Receive GCS
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 09:32:39 pm »
I'm pretty sure that Jazz Jennings was only 17 when she had her surgery last year. That's probably why they said that. Jazz went public with her surgery from start to finish. I mean there was very little privacy with her at all.
Finally started the process of becoming the real me! 5/20/19
Came out online 5/20/19
First time coming out face to face 6/3/19
First therapist appointment for HRT 6/3/19
Got my letter for HRT 6/10/19
Came out to my mom 6/18/19
Started HRT 7/12/19

Offline Janes Groove

• Jane's Groove
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 10:47:48 pm »
That makes sense that she would be the first to break the former 18-year-old rule, since she's America's most famous trans kid.

Offline Lexxi

• MTF Trans Woman
  • 50 Year old MTF
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 10:54:48 pm »
Have you watched her television series? If not it might be something you'll like. I've seen every single episode and have enjoyed them very much.
Came out online 5/20/19
Started HRT 7/12/19

Offline Janes Groove

• Jane's Groove
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 08:23:32 am »
I watched a few episodes of when she was younger (junior high) on Youtube and you're right. They are well done and entertaining.  It was also refreshing to see a trans kid with a supporting family which was kind of a foreign concept to me.  Unfortunately I don't have cable.  Maybe someday they will release them on DVD and I can get them from the library. :)

Offline Lexxi

• MTF Trans Woman
  • 50 Year old MTF
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 02:52:04 pm »
I think you can watch them on Prime video if you happen to have Amazon Prime. Not sure if they're on Netflix or not. I think they're already on video. You're right her family is totally amazing. I wish everyone had a family like that.

The past two seasons of her show were especially good as they were about her process of picking out the surgeons who would do her surgery. She was able to get Marci Bowers and Jess Ting. She also had to totally transform herself before surgery because she had a really high BMI. To her credit though she lost the required amount of weight.

Since she had had her puberty blocked the poor girl didn't have enough material to do the standard surgery though, so she had to go with one of the newer surgeries. I can't remember which one she went with but I think it might have been the peritoneal one.

She had some major complications too. A few days after the surgery she had some really bad swelling and blew out a bunch of her stitches. They had to go back and do an emergency surgery. She's good now though.

I really like Jazz. It's kinda funny that I look up to her so much, considering she's 17 or 18 now and I'm 50. But I credit her with my transition. I didn't even know about hormones until I learned about them from her. I just thought that I'd be stuck like I am forever. She showed me that I don't have to be.

Lexxi 
Came out online 5/20/19
Started HRT 7/12/19

Offline Janes Groove

• Jane's Groove
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 08:59:39 pm »
My Amazon Prime glitched out on my so I canceled it.  Maybe I can get on from another service someday.

I do agree that she has a big influence, and seems to be a pretty decent person.  Must be hard for her to have to be the "official trans person" in the room wherever she goes tho.  She never really got to chose that.   I was already transitioning when she became a big deal but I was influenced a lot by the younger trans women I would watch on Youtube.

Tags: