Author Topic: Wig Care  (Read 814 times)

Offline Mathea

Wig Care
« on: August 27, 2019, 06:20:54 pm »
Hi everyone!

Half a year ago, I decided I had had enough of a male haircut and started saving up my hair. I'm so frustrated with the pace of growing however, and it seems it will still be a very long time until I have hair of a sufficient length. I'm still not comfortable with presenting with my natural hair, and I guess it will be a while until I will. In the meantime, I'm gonna have to keep relying on my wig.

My wig is beautiful and makes me look quite amazing. Had it not been for the feeling of it being "fake", I would have preferred it over my natural hair - even if the latter is quite thick and strong and not all that bad. However, its starting to get a bit old (2 years), tangled and frayed. I hope that I can avoid investing in a new one, since using it is only a temporary solution until I am satisfied with my natural hair.

The question is whether there is anything I can do to get it back into shape. The wig is synthetic and I am not sure how it reacts to moisture, oils or heat. And I don't dare to brush it, since it only seems to result in irreplacable hairs being ripped out, rather than becoming untangled. Any tips?

Online AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
Re: Wig Care
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 06:51:31 pm »
First, with long wigs you can gently detangle it just using your fingers and hands to identify individual snarls and then slowly pull apart and separate the hairs.  Do not use a comb or brush at this point.  Also, do not pull too hard when detangling the hair because you will end up stretching the fibers and cause a worse mess. 

Once the is done you can gently wash it with baby shampoo or something mild.  These are synthetic fibers and they clean quite easily.  Just dip it into a sink of cold water and some shampoo mixed in and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.  Rinse it by just letting the cold water from the tap run over it.  Then more cold water and shampoo in the sink and repeat until water is clean.  Rinse again then lay it in a towel, roll up the towel and let it sit so the towel can absorb any excess water.  Then hang it over the shower head, or liter soda bottle and let dry.

Once dry do the hand and finger detangling again very slowly and gently.  You may be able to hand style it back to its previous style.  If not use a very wide comb with very few teeth.  I bought a cheap one at an inner city beauty supply store.  It has 12 steel prongs (tines ?) over inches.  The prongs are 2 1/2 inches with little round plastic tips.  Again being gentle and not stretching the fibers gives you the best results.

Now, if that seems impossible, then go to a wig store or a beauty salon and talk with a stylist.  They sometimes clean and style wigs.  They can also shorten it a little to get rid of the tangles.  That should all help to make it last longer until your hair grows out.

It took me over 18 months before I could leave the wig at home.  That was such a glorious and wonderful moment for me, because it took one more artificial accessory out of my going out accessories.  Just be patient and and grit your teeth through that awkward phase where it is long but ugly or something similar!  Once through it is easy after that. 

I am fortunate to only having a slightly receding hairline in front and those deeper V's over my temples (the M Hairline Look).  I now get mine trimmed and colored every 6-8 weeks and love it.  It really is one of the most important features if you have enough hair to make it work.  Good luck and sorry for the novel above.  I wore a wig for many years and went through a lot of them.
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline Sinclair

• Pretty in Pink
  • Friend
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 09:40:17 pm »
Allie covered this question well. I'm growing back my natural hair so I hope to not have to rely on wigs other than for special occasions. But, yes with synthetic wigs you have to be very gentile with them. Comb them gently with your fingers to detangle and shape them. It may take some time but it's really the only way to get them back into shape. Synthetic wigs tend to get frizzie, tangeled and lose their shape quite easily once in frequent use.

Offline Dena

• Family
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 10:00:09 pm »
I don't know if it works for wigs but for my natural hair, I found a hair pick works well to detangle hair. In addition, if you want the slightly messed up look that softens your hair, a pick is a good tool to do it.
Rebirth Date 1982 - My Transition

Offline Mathea

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 09:29:16 am »
Thanks for the advice, everyone!  :)

I do try to detangle the hairs by hand from time to time, but it is such a time consuming endeavor. I have also ripped out quite a bit of hair in the process and some of the knots are just hopeless to untie. Washing it is something I have been afraid of doing because I worry that it will lose its shape.

I should say that I'm guilty of sleeping in my wig sometimes. There's a big mirror by the bed, and waking up and having a beautiful long-haired verson of me as my first sight of the day is just too good to resist. Hopefully, that will be my everyday reality in a while. I have kept my hairline and my hair is thick and plentiful - which also makes it look extremely awkward at the moment as it so far has grown only outwards rather than downwards. Good luck with your growing Sinclair!

Offline Sinclair

• Pretty in Pink
  • Friend
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 09:21:11 pm »
Thanks for the advice, everyone!  :)

I do try to detangle the hairs by hand from time to time, but it is such a time consuming endeavor. I have also ripped out quite a bit of hair in the process and some of the knots are just hopeless to untie. Washing it is something I have been afraid of doing because I worry that it will lose its shape.

I should say that I'm guilty of sleeping in my wig sometimes. There's a big mirror by the bed, and waking up and having a beautiful long-haired verson of me as my first sight of the day is just too good to resist. Hopefully, that will be my everyday reality in a while. I have kept my hairline and my hair is thick and plentiful - which also makes it look extremely awkward at the moment as it so far has grown only outwards rather than downwards. Good luck with your growing Sinclair!

Thanks for the good luck wish Mathea! My hair is growing back, but it's a slow process. Still wearing my fav blonde wig.

I love mirrors as they reinforce my identity, and I get sleeping with your wig on to show that, but that's really not a good idea! Too many tangles with bed head! :)

sally0196

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 04:04:08 pm »
Mathea,

Sorry for posting so late, but sometimes life gets in the way.  Anyway, I suggest you take the time to de-tangle your wig using the method Allie detailed.  Once you get it de-tangled the key to keeping a synthetic wig looking good is regular maintenance.  I de-tangle my wigs after every wear.  Doing it this way keeps it from getting to the point where it is a major chore.

I have also learned through much trial and error, that it is important to keep a synthetic wig clean, so after 5 or 6 wears, I wash my wigs.  I wash them in luke-warm water with a little Woolite mixed in.  Remember, wigs are synthetic, so they are more like fabrics than real hair.  Once the wig has been washed, do not de-tangle or comb until it is completely dry.  Doing so will take out the wig's body and curl.

After I wash and dry my wigs, I use a heated comb (one that is barrel-shaped and blows warm air) and very gently (I mean super gently) comb out the wig, starting at the end of the wig and working upwards.  I also use the heated comb to de-tangle after wearing. The air and gentle heat helps to keep the wig de-tangled. The other thing I do not do, is to apply any kind of product, including wig conditioners, to my synthetic wigs.  I have learned that spraying junk onto the wig, just ends up making a mess and creating more tangles.  You are better off keeping the wig clean and de-tangling after each wear.

Hugs,

Sally

Offline Wendi

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 09:07:46 am »
I have a couple of wigs that I purchased from a beauty shop. I bought some wig shampoo and wig conditioner to clean them with and it really works well. I believe it's Revlon products.

The beauty consultant also gave me a metal prong brush to use on the wig and said to never use the normal plastic combs or brushes as they'll tangle.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Started HRT 1/3/2019

Offline ashley7

• Riot gal!
  • Neighbor
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 11:02:39 pm »
Hi everyone!

Half a year ago, I decided I had had enough of a male haircut and started saving up my hair. I'm so frustrated with the pace of growing however, and it seems it will still be a very long time until I have hair of a sufficient length. I'm still not comfortable with presenting with my natural hair, and I guess it will be a while until I will. In the meantime, I'm gonna have to keep relying on my wig.

My wig is beautiful and makes me look quite amazing. Had it not been for the feeling of it being "fake", I would have preferred it over my natural hair - even if the latter is quite thick and strong and not all that bad. However, its starting to get a bit old (2 years), tangled and frayed. I hope that I can avoid investing in a new one, since using it is only a temporary solution until I am satisfied with my natural hair.

The question is whether there is anything I can do to get it back into shape. The wig is synthetic and I am not sure how it reacts to moisture, oils or heat. And I don't dare to brush it, since it only seems to result in irreplacable hairs being ripped out, rather than becoming untangled. Any tips?

I have the same problem. These posts are very enlightening!

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 01:41:10 pm »
I have considerable alopecia, and it took some time for me to adjust to the fact that if I wanted something to style on my head, I would have to look to wigs.

At the moment, I have two, both synthetic (one from Amazon, which I'm actually impressed with), and another Jon Renau one that I really like, which matches my natural colour almost perfectly.

I'm very, very meticulous about caring for them. 
It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

(Yes, I'm a Canadian who served in the US Navy....)

Tags: