Author Topic: Uncanny Valley  (Read 524 times)

Offline MichelleVindee

• Remember the earth is round not flat
Uncanny Valley
« on: August 30, 2019, 10:50:08 pm »
Have you heard of the term 'uncanny valley'?

It's come accross my radar a number of times, relates to the unsettling feeling regarding humanoid robots. I have started to read quite a bit on this definition, how the brain reacts negatively on a mismatch; '“perceptual mismatch between appearance and motion.”

I am not proposing that  as a Transgender comunity we look in anyway like a ROBOT but I am very interested in the perception of emotion to gender and how we see 'percieve'  genders in our lives...
Warm Regards Michelle

Offline Allie Jayne

Re: Uncanny Valley
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 12:07:30 am »
Michelle, I know the brain reacts to confusing stimulus, as sense of motion from the inner ear which differs from the senses of sight often causes motion sickness, and when related to TG, the gender ID part of the brain getting different ID signals from the other senses causes Dysphoria. I haven't heard of the Uncanny Valley.

Allie

Offline MichelleVindee

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 12:38:03 am »
Hi Allie,

The 'Motion' part relates to looking at something that looks real in movement then the brain realising that it is artificial, 'Robot movement'

Theres a lot thats being researched regarding 'Gender Perception' and a Mismatch in the Human Realism of Face and Voice Produces an 'Uncanny Valley'.

This relates to Gender Stereotypes and the Perception of Male and Female physicalities in our society. GD is a completely different ball game to 'Uncanny Valley'.

A number of authors regarding The uncanny valley has become synonymous with the uneasy feeling of viewing an animated character or robot that looks imperfectly human. Although previous uncanny valley experiments have focused on relations among a character's visual elements, the current experiment examines whether a mismatch in the human realism of a human character's face and voice causes it to be evaluated as eerie. Hence 'Gender Perception". Some interesting reading from some authors:  W J Mitchell, K A Szerszen, A S Lu, P W Schermerhorn, M Scheutz, K F MacDorman.

Happy Days x

Warm Regards Michelle

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 12:44:04 am »
I suspect that people become similarly unsettled when interacting with someone who falls right between male and female.  I'm sure I've had such issues in the past.  Not as much recently as I'm wearing clothes that better match my body shape and size.

Offline MichelleVindee

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 12:57:44 am »
I suspect that people become similarly unsettled when interacting with someone who falls right between male and female.  I'm sure I've had such issues in the past.  Not as much recently as I'm wearing clothes that better match by body shape and size.

Yes, exactly and if proven the reaction could be quite natural to the human psyche, could nurture change this or is this something that we are all born with (nature)? Questions, Questions...

Ditto with your experience with clothing I have learnt the hard way regarding clothing and what suits my body, not necessarily what I was thinking at the time of purchase, which was before the days of actually trying on the clothing at the store!
 :D
Warm Regards Michelle

Tags: