Author Topic: Have you had any of these British snacks?  (Read 421 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
Have you had any of these British snacks?
« on: September 26, 2020, 02:32:51 am »
Have you had any of these British snacks?  If so, share out!

Jaffa Cakes

Monster Munch

Flakes

Digestives

Sherbet Fountain

Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Sephirah

Re: Have you had any of these British snacks?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 04:37:38 pm »
Have you had any of these British snacks?  If so, share out!

Jaffa Cakes

Monster Munch

Flakes

Digestives

Sherbet Fountain

Yes to all of those, obviously :P Although I don't like four of them. Monster Munch is okay, I guess.

Interesting fact. Digestives are kind of a pseudo medicinal snack, created by doctors way back in the 1840s. They were thought to aid peoples digestion. Not sure how true that actually is.

Another interesting fact: A Jaffa Cake is actually a cake, legally. And not, as many British people will tell you, a biscuit.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 05:16:02 pm »
Thanks for sharing out!

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Jessica_K

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 05:45:33 pm »
Another interesting fact: A Jaffa Cake is actually a cake, legally. And not, as many British people will tell you, a biscuit.
The legal deference between cake and biscuit is that a cake dries up in air, a biscuit softens. As the Jaffa cake dries it is a cake. Also there is a tax difference (20% VAT) between a cake and biscuit covered in chocolate hence the importance of the definition

Jessica xx

Offline Sephirah

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 05:49:52 pm »
The legal deference between cake and biscuit is that a cake dries up in air, a biscuit softens. As the Jaffa cake dries it is a cake. Also there is a tax difference (20% VAT) between a cake and biscuit covered in chocolate hence the importance of the definition

Jessica xx

Indeed. But some of my closest friends have been like "It's a biscuit and if you say different I will scratch your eyes out!" Personally I think it's a biscuit. It's sold in biscuit form. You don't sell packs of 8 or 12 cakes.

It's something that is so utterly irrelevant except to people wanting to save money, lol. It's something as divisive as Marmite. Which, incidentally, is the spawn of Satan and people who like it need to be exorcised, forthwith! :P

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 06:33:00 pm »
I love  Bangers and Baked Beans ...
....along with pan fried/roasted tomatoes, and Mash too !!!!

Breakfast of champions!!!!!'   Great for dinner too !!!
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 06:38:17 pm »

No   Marmite   for me please...

I guess that it might be an aquired taste... I have tried it several times without success.

I would rather have my standard spread, peanut butter, and/or jelly or jam on my toast.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 07:42:08 pm by Northern Star Girl »
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW

Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 07:00:55 pm »
I had a pack of pickled onion monster munch yesterday!

I don't like Marmite either - but then I do like twiglets (same flavour?) so... I am just weird...

Jaffa cakes, as with Terry's Chocolate orange, mix chocolate with orange, a combination that I just cannot stand.. So I don't care what you class them as - just throw them away please!!! (along with the Marmite!)...
Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline Sephirah

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 07:28:37 pm »
Jaffa cakes, as with Terry's Chocolate orange, mix chocolate with orange, a combination that I just cannot stand.. So I don't care what you class them as - just throw them away please!!! (along with the Marmite!)...

Gawd, I remember the chocolate orange, LOL! That thing is as dense as Osmium. My mum used to get my brothers one each at Christmas (because I can't stand chocolate), and they just used to end up throwing them at each other. Usually with varying degrees of bodily injury.

(To people who don't know what we're talking about, it wasn't an orange coated in chocolate. Oh no. It was pure, dense, jaw breaking chocolate flavoured with orange. About the size of a baseball for our American folks. And made out of the stuff Aaron Eckhart used to go to the Earth's Core in, in that movie.) ;D

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 07:30:29 pm »
Gawd, I remember the chocolate orange, LOL! That thing is as dense as Osmium. My mum used to get my brothers one each at Christmas (because I can't stand chocolate), and they just used to end up throwing them at each other. Usually with varying degrees of bodily injury.

(To people who don't know what we're talking about, it wasn't an orange coated in chocolate. Oh no. It was pure, dense, jaw breaking chocolate flavoured with orange. About the size of a baseball for our American folks. And made out of the stuff Aaron Eckhart used to go to the Earth's Core in, in that movie.) ;D

I think I would prefer a Cadbury chocolate or a Dove milk chocolate.

Chrissy

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 07:57:56 pm »

I think I would prefer a Cadbury chocolate or a Dove milk chocolate.

Chrissy

See's Boxed chocolates are might fine!!!

***SEE MY LINKS BELOW

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2020, 03:06:48 am »
You can read about the legal battle over whether a Jaffa Cake s a cake (cake) or a biscuit (cookie) here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffa_Cakes

I can tell you this much, since it involves taxes, back in Boston we would have thrown the Jaffa Cakes straight into the harbour.  :laugh:
Veteran, US Army

Offline Leesh

• Laura
  • Friend
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 12:27:44 pm »
First two. They seem to be common throughout Europe :P

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 12:55:06 pm »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Chrissy

Tags: