Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077 offering extremely inclusive character creation.  (Read 2091 times)

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
Re: Cyberpunk 2077
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2020, 08:30:11 pm »
I really liked gaming when I was younger, but there was one day about 15 years ago, when I realized that I was no longer getting any fulfillment from it. So I stopped cold turkey. Today my “gaming” is online crosswords, which is about as far away from Cyberpunk 2077 as possible.

Sorry for being one of the old farts around here.  :P

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline Julie H

• Formerly known as White Rabbit
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2020, 09:03:14 pm »
I just started playing it on the xbox and I hate how the cars work.Otherwise it is kind of neat to see Night City on screen.
Julie

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2020, 06:16:20 am »
I think the question if this game is transphobic is nothing more than a marketing spin to be honest.. The character creation is certainly not transphobic.. allowing modification of EVERYTHING regardless....
The parts of the game being highlighted as such are more depictions of a underlying society and part of the story-telling.. Not needed, for sure.. but, well to me anyway, not having any relevance in society around us.. I certainly do not see it as a direct cultural observation on todays society or an incite to 'hate' trans folk in general...  It is only a game.. and it is quite good too..if a little boring.

Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline Sephirah

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2020, 12:33:41 pm »
I think quite a few people are missing the point, to be honest. And expecting the game to be something it isn't. See... the world of Cyberpunk 2077 draws from several different Cyberpunk ideas. Notably Altered Carbon and the movie Strange Days.

I am running two different characters, basically a feminine bodyshape with a penis, and one without, to see if I can notice any difference in the way they're treated. And so far I have noticed very little difference (although admittedly I am not that far into the game). With one exception, which I'll cover later.

The thing that people aren't getting with Cyberpunk 2077 is something the Ripperdoc Viktor tells you, in no uncertain terms. People can change their bodies in whatever way they feel like. And even get new bodies. That is important. Like Altered Carbon, people can essentially upload themselves to a Shard and re-download themselves into an entirely new body. That fact alone put a lot of things into perspective for me.

Now, the exception I talked about involves a side mission where you pick up a guy whose... um... crotch implant had malfunctioned. He asks you to take him to a Ripperdoc. You have a conversation with him en route, and depending on whether your character has a penis or not, the conversation differs. Regardless of whether you chose the feminine or masculine voice or bodyshape. If your character has a penis, then you talk about how he got the wrong implant, and how another one is better.

This stuck me as very odd. For someone born with something they would rather didn't exist... the character would never say that. I would never say that. And at first I figured they just didn't understand what the condition entailed. But it isn't that. See... the world of Cyberpunk 2077 is one where if you don't like your genitalia, you can just change them. If you don't like your body, you can just change it. As Viktor talks about.

That was a bit of a lightbulb moment. The game treats it as a choice. It assumes if you have a feminine bodyshape and voice, then it's your choice to have a penis, and that you like having it. And that you use it as a part of your identity. And you get treated that way. In the context of the game... that isn't so far fetched. In CP2077 being trans doesn't have to be something you're stuck with. They treat it as something you choose to do. That's why the ads are what they are.

So do I feel the game is transphobic? No, not personally. But I think a lot of people don't understand the kind of world the game is set in. Where... when you just want to be another woman, you can be. With no questions asked.

Just my opinion, of course. Oh, and I've put in like 50 hours so far and have only just got past act 1. I don't find it boring in the slightest. In fact, rather the contrary, it's a little bit overwhelming how much there is to do. :P

Offline SoCal_Holly

• Multi-Pass
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2020, 12:24:47 am »
Just getting started. It’s great so far. Minor bugs don’t bother me. I’m certain more content is on the way too.

My trans avatar has blue hair just like me! Amazing!

Offline CaelaNotKayla

• Everyone needs a little glam sometime!
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2020, 01:14:49 am »
It's on my Xmas list, so we'll see how it plays on my Xbox One X....  In the meantime-  I'll rope the kids in for a round of CP2020, I think I've got my sourcebook around somewhere!

Hugs!!

Caela
My Blog Thread - The Chronicles of Caela

Who knew it'd be so bright without the blindfold - Demi Lovato

Offline Heather A

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2020, 03:50:04 pm »
I purchased the game a while ago and have put in almost 50 hours into it and I still have not beaten the game just enjoyed many of the side missions and just general messing around in the game.  I haven't noticed anything super Transphobic in the game itself.  Like others have said they do let you customize anything on your character that I quite enjoyed.  You can even get a vehicle with the Transgender flag on the back if you do finish certain missions in the game.

In my opinion, while the game isn't perfect with all the bugs I haven't witnessed anything Transphobic in the game.  But maybe I need to finish the game first, but I'm taking my sweat time.

Offline Evienne

• Do you mind? This is my personal text >.>
Transgender Story Character in Cyberpunk 2077
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2021, 06:11:24 pm »
There is a transwoman character in Cyberpunk who's an actual story character and not just a random NPC in the background, and the cool thing is it's so easy to miss if you don't follow her side story because they keep it subtle and never push that in your face.

Her name is Claire Russell, and you actually meet her in the prologue story to the game, but you would never even think that she was trans. Later into the game she will contact you to start her side quests which are some fun little races. Well when I went to the first race I noticed this truck on the field:

So I'm thinking, hey that's cool, someone has a trans flag on their car. Took me a minute or two and I realized oh this is Clair's truck. So I started to think a bit. Then I opened her character journal to see and sure enough the game confirmed it:

She will talk to you about it if you continue down her questline but only just a subtle little "before I transitioned" in the middle of her sentence rather than going all into the whole "hey I need to tell you something" route. I thought it was a really cool thing to find in the game, and just thought I'd share. But I really love how subtly it was handled. I feel like this pretty much counters all those claims about the game being transphobic in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 04:12:01 pm by Evienne »
I hereby sign this message to the understanding that it is what I said. You, the viewer, thus abide to the binding of this message to have been abided.

Offline DianaPrince

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 offering extremely inclusive character creation.
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2021, 08:08:38 pm »
That’s really cool. I have the game but haven’t opened it yet (Christmas present). I’ll keep an eye out for her.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:10:29 pm by Northern Star Girl »

Tags: