Author Topic: What actually makes for the best bras?  (Read 5961 times)

Ericalaine and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
What actually makes for the best bras?
« on: September 03, 2019, 07:12:18 pm »
Other than the quality of construction and price, what makes for the perfect bra?

Could it be...

A nice snug fit for your boobs
Comfort
Color
Attractiveness of material, color, shine, etc.
Ease of fastening and removing
Ease of cleaning and drying
How it holds up over time (stretching, fading, etc.)
The way it makes your overall appearance even more feminine
How it lifts or otherwise repositions your breasts, perhaps closer together
Support provided
Ability to hide protruding nipples
Ability to attract others to your body for those who may see your bra when you have it on
Ability to make your breasts look bigger
Ability to make your breasts look smaller
Ability to make your breasts look nice for your body shape
Appropriateness or versatility of bra design (style, straps, etc.) for what you are wearing:  low-cut blouse, business outfits, t-shirts, dresses, etc.

I am sure you can think of more characteristics that make for a great bra!   :)  :)

Chrissy

Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Kayden

• Friend
Re: What actually makes for the best bras?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 07:19:15 pm »
For me, in order:
-Fit : how much padding is there? Are the straps versatile for different tops? Underwire well designed?
Versatility : similar to fit but can I wear this with multiple things and not have straps or the bra itself playing peekaboo?
Style : strapless? Demi cup? Push-up? T-shirt bra? And do I already have an abundance in this particular style?
Color : color is huge for me. I can’t be wearing s red bra and a white top. Or a bright yellow bra and a sky blue tank top. It needs to blend with my outfit.

I can get picky with bras. Before HRT, it was “give me something to fill my 2x4 figure out”. Now I’m much more selective as I have finally developed breasts and need a bra

Offline Lexxi

• MTF Trans Woman
  • 50 Year old MTF
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 08:22:15 pm »
For me right now the only really important thing is if it has padding. As far as "real" breast tissue I don't have much going on up there. But I'm overweight, so I do have moobs right now. But since I've been on hormones for 2 months now there's starting to be some "real" growth on top of that.

Since that's the case my chest has been sore, sore, sore...so I have to have the padding to keep anything from touching them. The only thing I've found so far that feels good is a padded sports bra. I can't wait until I can wear a really pretty bra. The sports bras I do have now are in really pretty colors, but it's not the same as having a pretty lacy bra. But I know that will come eventually.

xoxo
Lexxi
Finally started the process of becoming the real me! 5/20/19
Came out online 5/20/19
First time coming out face to face 6/3/19
First therapist appointment for HRT 6/3/19
Got my letter for HRT 6/10/19
Came out to my mom 6/18/19
Started HRT 7/12/19

Colleen_definitely

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 08:27:04 pm »
For me comfort is pretty high on the list.  Pretty bras always catch my eye but if they feel like wrapping a cheese grater around my rib cage I'm out.

Durability is something that I really see as a major bonus and it's kind of hard to judge on the rack (the store rack, not mine.)  Some of my frederick's bras are tough as nails, pretty AND comfy, yet a few I've gotten from good old victoria that are really pretty and super comfy but just don't hold up.  Of course I've had the opposite situation as well.  I just hate spending money on things that just fall apart.  Sure it's an excuse to go shopping but I still feel cheated.

One rule I've found that applies pretty consistently is you get what you pay for up to a point.  The $10 mega mart specials have all been disappointments, and I even tried on a really nice $85 bra that looked fantastic but felt awful.  This is where waiting for the big names to go on sale really pays off.

And like Kayden said you definitely need a variety of color so you don't have a neon pink LOOK AT MY BOOBS! bra showing through your nice lightweight blouse or shirt, and sometimes that might also be exactly what you want.  Then there's the issue of having the "add 27 cup sizes guaranteed super duper push them up to your chin so everyone can see them" bra and you're planning on wearing a shirt that's just a little on the tight side.  Sometimes it's too much of a good thing, and sometimes that's exactly the effect the situation calls for.  It's good to have options. 

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 08:30:26 pm »
Any bra that is the proper size is the perfect bra.  ;)

For myself, I prefer a support bra and the Playtex 18 hour series fit me just fine.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Kayden

• Friend
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 08:43:58 pm »
So far my favorite bras are all from LaSenza. They are owned by the same company that owns VS but they are substantially less pricey and always have deals going on. My fiancé and I have admittedly spent way too much money there lmao

Colleen_definitely

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 08:54:42 pm »
Oh wow, that site looks like a money pit waiting to happen.  I really like some of those.

Offline Sonja

• Taking charge of my life!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 09:13:10 pm »
I'm going to start with "One that fits...."  because as a nervous novice and with minimal planning I went into a department store 2 years ago and bought myself 2 lacy bra's 18b.....As it turns out I was a 16aa and I soon discovered  how lace sits under a shirt...and the not so flattering look of cup sizes that are too big, but I was still chuffed.

Fast forward and I have 3 really nice cupped t-shirt bras, 16a - perfect fit, black, white and a patterned one.

Smooth cupped t-shirt bra's are something I found out about after my first mis-step and they are perfect for girls first starting HRT.

Sonja.

Offline Linde

• Full time for some time
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 09:55:49 pm »
Victoria secret and Soma don't carry my size.  My absolutely most comfortable bra that I could wear 7 days in a row is a cheapo from Walmart.  The band strap does not try to kill me, and the girls fit nicely into the cups!  It is wireless and no pointed metal ends try to drill into my armpits!

Offline Lady Sarah

• Yes, it's another Sarah
  • Family
  • I love my hubby
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 11:28:34 pm »
Personally, I like a good fit, preferably without underwires (I despise underwires). Having enough padding to conceal my nipples is a plus, except when dealing with 105°+ temperatures. A bra with a plunging neckline is great for most of the shirts I wear. I may dress subtly, but not like a nun.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016

Offline Meghan

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 01:20:30 am »
Get Bra fitting is critical when buying bra

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Meghan Pham: MtF Transgender, Transsexual, Transwoman, social justice, Caregivers, Certified Nurse Assistant

Katie

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 05:09:22 am »
Victorias Secret. Works great for me.

Offline Amie June

• Lindy
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 06:27:43 am »
A bra that fits my body and is comfortable. I tried on 25 bras before I found a Maiden Form that was comfy. And like others have mentioned, I quickly learned that underwire bras are very uncomfortable. It's tricky finding a bra if you're thin like me. They can feel like a torture device after just 15 minutes if the fit is not perfect  >:-)

On my birthday I plan to go to Victoria's Secret for something fun!

Amie
First time I wore a dress: October 31, 1964
Came out to myself: September 15, 2017
Stopped cutting my hair: September 15, 2017
Started gender therapy: September 28, 2017
Came out to two female friends and sister: December 2017
Came out to adult daughter and her partner: January 2018
First appointment with endocrinologist: March 21, 2018
Started HRT: March 23, 2018
Started laser treatment for facial hair: June 28, 2018
Started electrolysis for facial hair: October 11, 2018
Name change: August 14, 2019
Orchiectomy: Valentines Day 2020

"You are woman
and you're beautiful.
Let the world see you."

Offline CynthiaAnn

• like totally dig that pacific pulse....
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 06:51:19 am »
Fit  :) as in fit body fit, nothing like a great fitting sports bra, preferably without clasps, I am currently a big fan of Spanx "workout to waves" sports bras, so comfy after a full day of hiking  :)

C -
kindness is love nurturing your soul....

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 07:43:15 pm »
Fit  :) as in fit body fit, nothing like a great fitting sports bra, preferably without clasps, I am currently a big fan of Spanx "workout to waves" sports bras, so comfy after a full day of hiking  :)

C -

I will look into this sports bra.  Thank you.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Linde

• Full time for some time
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 09:38:04 pm »
Victorias Secret. Works great for me.
Neither their store nor their website have anything that fits me!

Offline valerie anne

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2019, 05:13:34 pm »
When I started to need the support of a bra full time, I experimented with lots of different styles, suppliers, bra styles etc. and I found it was impossible to settle on a size and style which would be consistent from all suppliers.

In my nominal size, 38C, I got bras which would either cut me in half, or leave enough extra room in the cup for a coconut.

What I did was buy test bras on auction on eBay. These can be very cheap, and it's no loss to give them to the charity shop if they don't fit.

In my case, I finally established that "Rosie" brasssieres from M&S are the ones for me. Despite complaints about underwires etc., I find that an underwired padded plunge bra is the style I need to wear. I tried balconettes, unpadded ones and so on, but I get the best shape & support from the underwired plunge shape.

Luckily the "Rosie" range is widely established, and there is always a good selection of pretty feminine bras in a wide range of colours & sizes.

The other positive factor is that they often have a deep 3 hook band even in the smaller cup sizes. I find the deeper band really supplies extra uplift & support.       

Offline Meghan

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2019, 01:02:16 am »
So far my best bra is YeahBra and nothing else work besides this branch

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Meghan Pham: MtF Transgender, Transsexual, Transwoman, social justice, Caregivers, Certified Nurse Assistant

Offline KathyLauren

• Casting off dull certainty
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2019, 10:35:18 am »
1. fit (band size vs. cup size)
2. comfort
3. shape (flattering or flattening)

I don't like underwires, and I don't care about lace.  For me, a bra isn't erotic, it's underwear: practical and functional.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly, beginning full-time; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2019-10-18 Phone consultation for GRS; 2020-03-11 GRS!; 2020-09-30 New birth certificate

Offline Harley Quinn

• Family
  • I am crazy... Crazy like a fox!
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 11:34:57 am »
1. Fit
2. Comfort
3. Attractiveness

I’m less concerned about enlarging or minimizing my bust currently. I like one that; fits my girls, can be worn all day, and is flattering as lingerie. If it doesn’t meet those criteria, I likely won’t wear it and it’ll sit in my drawer. 🤷🏻‍♀️
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)

Tags: