Author Topic: What actually makes for the best bras?  (Read 6812 times)

Offline zirconia

Re: What actually makes for the best bras?
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2019, 01:10:11 am »
To find the right fit, I went to Victoria Secret's and was measured.  Only to bad that I have a rather wide chest 40 Us (90 European), but relatively, for this bandwidth, small boobs.  Victoria Secret's had nothing to offer, and with my size knowledge, I had to go to stores that service larger chested females.  I found a few wireless bras that are very comfortable.  But no matter what, if ever possible, I don't wear a bra at all.  But sometimes it is decensee which requires to wear  bra.  I have on strapless bra that has wires, but this one is pretty comfy.  I am kind of old fashioned, and don't like to show bra straps.

As I said, if you don't need them, then why use them... ٩(๑❛ᴗ❛๑)۶

Frankly, what surprises me is how many people seem to head straight to Victoria's Secret. They must have a really great marketing department.

I did visit once but wasn't too impressed. The emphasis seemed to be on sexy, so if that's what one's looking for then great—but to me the quality seemed iffy for the price and the sizing a bit too random for a dedicated manufacturer. The sales staff was very friendly, though, so for someone that not too sure of one's footing that would be a definite plus.

But of course it may be that the quality has improved since then. Or it could have just been a bad location (some huge touristy mall in Las Vegas.)

Again, if one isn't quite slim, to get a perfect fit one probably has to either try on at least ten dozen styles, or have them made at a custom boutique. All the more so if one doesn't have a standard issue female body. And, again, to me a good fit is worth the price.

Offline Linde

• Full time for some time
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2019, 12:22:01 pm »
Victoria Secret and Soma are the two big chains that specialize in female underwear.  It seems for many to be less challenging to go into such a special store to be measured.  For most people there is no real other choice.  I live in a 1 1/2 million people metropolitan area, but there are no other shops for measurements available unless one goes to the high end department stores like Macy's.  But there the privacy of special underwear stores is missing.

I went to be sized back to back at Soma and at Victoria Secrets, and both showed the same result, which tells me my sizing was done pretty well.
I fully agree that those stores are way overpriced, but their stuff is mostly cute, and that attracts a lot of shoppers.  I am kind of glad that they had nothing to fit me (both stores did not have anything).

GordonG

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2019, 01:56:43 pm »
I think it may also depend on the size of your bust/band.  I need a 40 C, which is not that easy to find.  Most women with this bandwidth seem to have way bigger breasts, and so the selection of 40 bandwidth C cup bras is not that large.

I'm a bigger band size than you, but with smaller breasts. Maybe that is why I don't mind underwires. But then if everyone hated underwires they wouldn't make them would they?

Offline Linde

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2019, 03:34:06 pm »
I'm a bigger band size than you, but with smaller breasts. Maybe that is why I don't mind underwires. But then if everyone hated underwires they wouldn't make them would they?
They do help to shape the bust nicer.  With my wireless, you get what you have, no push up and nothing!  Once in a while I use a wire push up thing, and it makes my chest look like I have super boobs.  It is like with a lot of things, women are used to suffer in the name of beauty (as I do, when I get the stray hair under my brows electrocuted - when presenting as a man, I did not even know that I had this hair!))

Offline noleen111

• Family
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2019, 10:08:50 am »
I dont really have make I prefer... I wear what I like and what feels comfortable.

I love underwire push up bras.. my daily bra's are padded t-shirt bras with an underwire.. For weekends and date night.. i wear the silky or lacy bras.. the more sexy stuff... I love plunge bras.. Sometimes I will wear a sexy bra to work... just for me...

I love white, black and red bra's but do have a variety of colors. For me my panty must match the bra.. so red bra means red panties. That is something I learnt from my mother..
Enjoying ride the hormones are giving me... finally becoming the woman I always knew I was

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
What actually makes for the best bras?
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2019, 06:52:22 am »
Have you noticed any particular brands or styles of bras that typically last longer than other brands or styles?  As an example, do you think the bras with molded cups or those with no cups (sheer, thin material covering the breasts) last longer?  Or perhaps underwire style bras vs. bras that have no wires?

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Pammie

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2019, 07:18:09 am »
Have you noticed any particular brands or styles of bras that typically last longer than other brands or styles?  As an example, do you think the bras with molded cups or those with no cups (sheer, thin material covering the breasts) last longer?  Or perhaps underwire style bras vs. bras that have no wires?

Chrissy
I tend to buy underwired, padded bras so I can’t really comments what lasts. I agree re colour combinations though! Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Linde

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2019, 10:17:22 am »

Chrissy
If I wear a bra, I do it mostly for modesty and looks.  For this purpose I prefer the molded cups to insure modesty.  Te simple fabric ones have no use for me, I'd rather go without a bra instead.  My girls are perky enough to not need the support of a bra!
I use underwire bras only for strapless bras, cause they remain in their position better.  I have to wear out a bra yet, I outgrew mine (because I don't wear them that often)

Offline mm

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2019, 01:09:19 pm »
Every woman has their own preference in bras, just look at all the manufactures, styles, etc that are out there for women to buy.  Many women have a different bra for almost every dress, or top they have.

Offline valerie anne

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2019, 02:14:20 pm »
Now that I have got some wobbly volume and heavy nipples (thanks to regular breast pumping), I find that I need to be fully brassiered!

I find I need a proper underwired bra, with some padding for nipple modesty, wide straps for comfort, and most of all a deep band for support. I can't understand how women can wear bras with only one or two hook deep bands. My most comfortable bras have deep wings and three hook fasteners.   

Offline Pammie

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2019, 02:49:30 pm »
Every woman has their own preference in bras, just look at all the manufactures, styles, etc that are out there for women to buy.  Many women have a different bra for almost every dress, or top they have.
100% agree!

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2019, 02:01:10 am »
1. Fit
2. Comfort
3. Attractiveness

I’m less concerned about enlarging or minimizing my bust currently. I like one that; fits my girls, can be worn all day, and is flattering as lingerie. If it doesn’t meet those criteria, I likely won’t wear it and it’ll sit in my drawer. 🤷🏻‍♀️

That sure makes a lot of practical sense!

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Pammie

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2019, 03:51:59 am »
1. Fit
2. Comfort
3. Attractiveness

I’m less concerned about enlarging or minimizing my bust currently. I like one that; fits my girls, can be worn all day, and is flattering as lingerie. If it doesn’t meet those criteria, I likely won’t wear it and it’ll sit in my drawer.
I would probably go
1. Attractiveness
2. Comfort
3. Fit
That’s because I buy the size of bra that I know fits but one that isn’t fantastically comfortable but looks great is still going to be close to the front if my drawer! - especially if my boyfriend is coming round!
For a normal work day where the bra is going to spend the day undercover I’d probably go more towards your criteria though !

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2019, 04:35:37 am »
I would probably go
1. Attractiveness
2. Comfort
3. Fit
That’s because I buy the size of bra that I know fits but one that isn’t fantastically comfortable but looks great is still going to be close to the front if my drawer! - especially if my boyfriend is coming round!
For a normal work day where the bra is going to spend the day undercover I’d probably go more towards your criteria though !

I guess when it comes down to it I go with comfort and fit. 
Color is important so it does not show through material but otherwise not that important.

Chrissy

Offline Linde

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2019, 07:47:29 am »
When buying a bra, comfort, fit, and color are my only criteria.  I am alone and don't need flattery!  if I would get into a relation, they could see my braless boobs and be flattered by them!

Offline Pammie

« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2019, 08:37:47 am »
When buying a bra, comfort, fit, and color are my only criteria.  I am alone and don't need flattery!  if I would get into a relation, they could see my braless boobs and be flattered by them!
Good answer Linde!

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2020, 10:07:53 am »
Some days I still wish that my boobs looked bigger, so a push-up bra would be nice to have to take care of those times I feel that way.  Inserts do make them look bigger too.

I do not have a push-up bra.  If you have any suggestions for one, please post.  Thanks.
Most of the time I simply feel thankful for what I have been developing so far with my breasts.

Chrissy

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2020, 10:34:20 am »
VS has lots of push up bras if you are small enough to fit in their range of band sizes.
You should wait for a sale, particularly if you aren't picky about the color. 

Marion

Offline Meghan

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2020, 10:39:33 am »
Right now I am working with my Endocrine to get right levels of Estradiol and lower my Testosterone to see how my breast develops

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Meghan Pham: MtF Transgender, Transsexual, Transwoman, social justice, Caregivers, Certified Nurse Assistant

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2020, 03:07:06 pm »
I mostly care about comfort so I generally wear wireless bras that are lightly padded. I really don't want to invest in pricey bras, because it seems so unclear to me whether pricey bras actually are more comfortable. I have tried a bunch of less expensive brands. None of them has been remarkable.

Around the home, it's always bra off.

The only time I NEED support is when exercising. My favorite sports bra is from Athleta - and that was expensive, but it is totally worth it. If it is clean, I wear it.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Tags: