Community Conversation > Legal Matters

Changing name and birth certificate from abroad/dual citizen

(1/2) > >>

Fleur:
So I was born in the US, in MA, who issued my birth certificate, but I live in Australia (NSW). I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed! Has anyone changed their name and sex marker on their birth certificate while living abroad and do you have any advice or encouragement? From what I've read it seems the way is to start by changing my name with the jurisdiction I live in (NSW government), get letters from my doctor, send them to Mass. to get the new birth certificate. I want to check to make sure an NSW change of name certificate is acceptable without any extra notary certification. I think it's something similar to change my passports (I'm an Australian citizen too). I think I can do the US passport through the US consulate in Sydney.

Devlyn:
Hey! Fellow Masshole here, I'm from Weymouth.  :)

I changed all of my documents except for the birth certificate, it seemed like a waste of $50 to me. It sounds like you have the process nailed pretty much nailed down, though. Good luck!

Hugs, Devlyn

AllieSF:
Unless you need a new Birth Certificate for some other important item to change or some other important reason, I would recommend that you concentrate on other aspects of your name and gender (did you do that too?) list of things to do.  I would definitely get it changed on all important documents like Passport, US Driver's License if you still have one, credit cards, banks and other financial institutions.  Getting your US identity changed on all pertinent documents, governmental and private companies, is important.

When changing your birth certificate read the laws in MA and follow their instructions.  Different States can have different requirements.  Michigan requires a notarized letter from the surgeon stating that I have had gender reassignment surgery.  However, they do not define what are the accepted surgeries.  You may also look for some MA LGBTQ+ support group, organization or whatever.  Sometimes they have a lot of help in this area because the answer is specific to the State.

I just Googled this and got a lot of hits.  Good luck.

"how to change name and gender on MA birth certificate"

Fleur:

--- Quote from: Devlyn on September 08, 2019, 09:38:10 am ---it seemed like a waste of $50 to me.

Hugs, Devlyn

--- End quote ---

I love this attitude!

Always good to run into a fellow Masshole!

Fleur:

--- Quote from: AllieSF on September 08, 2019, 06:55:17 pm ---I would definitely get it changed on all important documents like Passport, US Driver's License if you still have one, credit cards, banks and other financial institutions.  Getting your US identity changed on all pertinent documents, governmental and private companies, is important.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the good advice. It's looking like I'll be travelling to get my vaginoplasty, so passports, ID, bank cards are the priority etc. The B.C. is a "would-be-nice" rather than a "have-to-have" but I think I'll have all the documents for it anyway and I'm the sort of person who likes to get these onerous jobs over with.

I definitely have to remember to tell the electoral commission too...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version