Author Topic: Getting phalloplasty before top surgery/How do I get phallo?  (Read 346 times)

Offline ftmblues

• Visitor
Getting phalloplasty before top surgery/How do I get phallo?
« on: September 08, 2019, 06:52:23 pm »
Hey all. I'm a trans man. While I technically want 'the works' (testosterone, top surgery, and bottom surgery), my bottom dysphoria is sooo severe in comparison to my top dysphoria, which really only exists in the context of passing. I have never heard of anyone doing bottom surgery before top surgery, and I am wondering if that would be at all feasible for me to pull off.
I am not yet on testosterone, but I will be starting it in 7 months, when I turn 18.

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Re: Getting phalloplasty before top surgery/How do I get phallo?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 01:31:41 am »
You'll discuss your options with your healthcare providers as you progress through the steps. 🙂

Never be afraid to ask questions, or say what's on your mind. Be open and honest about your plans. They like confident people who know what they want out of life; that's you, right?   :)   Keep us posted.

Hugs, Devlyn
Veteran, US Army

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 05:51:46 am »
Phalloplasty is technically possible at any time whether you are on hormones or not. The real issue is finding a surgeon who knows how to do this procedure and will operate on you without hormone treatment.

Since you are not yet 18, have you been in counselling? No reputable surgeon is going to operate without a therapists letter approving surgery.

Breast removal can be done at anytime and when it is done is not a significant issue. Many women have a mastectomy for other reasons.

You might want to consider letting testosterone work it magic on your clitoris and then getting a metoidioplasty, which some trans men prefer.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Dena

• Family
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 08:46:53 am »
One thing you might consider is surgeons expect the bottom growth that testosterone causes. The enlarged clitoris is incorporated into whatever surgery you chose and adds to the sexual function of the penis. As long as your therapist agrees, there shouldn't be any reason why you can't get a phallo first as some FTMs might not even need top surgery if they have minimal development.

Remember that the transitioning is fairly custom. What one person needs isn't always something another wants. Bottom surgery is a good example of this because there are several to chose from as well as the option of not getting bottom surgery at all. Decide what you need and don't let others set your standard.
Rebirth Date 1982 - My Transition