Author Topic: Arrgh! What do you think are some of the most annoying commercials?  (Read 639 times)

Online ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
As a mtf, I am certainly getting tired of hearing all of these erectile dysfunction (ED) radio commercials.

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Colleen_definitely

Re: Arrgh! What do you think are some of the most annoying commercials?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 06:58:19 pm »
Pharmaceutical ads where the subliminal message is "beg your pharmacist to prescribe you our drug and you can be as happy as these folks, despite the risk of rectal necrosis and eye bleeding"

I hate advertisements with a burning passion.  It has gotten to the point where I don't listen to the radio or watch TV any more.  Internet without an ad blocker just doesn't happen either.

Offline Sonja

• Taking charge of my life!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 07:05:57 pm »
Pharmaceutical ads where the subliminal message is "beg your pharmacist to prescribe you our drug and you can be as happy as these folks, despite the risk of rectal necrosis and eye bleeding"

I hate advertisements with a burning passion.  It has gotten to the point where I don't listen to the radio or watch TV any more.  Internet without an ad blocker just doesn't happen either.
OH I agree!!

I loathe the ads that push "are you feeling tired" "are you feeling 100%?"  take these pills....

I read an in-depth article about the prevalence of people taking vitamin and mineral supplements and how it is starting to cause a mildly toxic overdose of it in an ever growing number of people doing it....one of the symptoms of overdosing on supplements is..........tiredness.

"Eat a healthy balanced diet and you'll be fine without supplements."  <---there's an ad I'd like to see.

Sonja.

Offline Sonja

• Taking charge of my life!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 07:11:05 pm »
@Colleen_definitely

OMG Colleen - I've just burst out laughing at your signature!!! When did you write that?
I love jokes like that!!

Sonja.

Colleen_definitely

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 07:39:05 pm »
It's from the video game Portal 2.  It has some of the wittiest dialogue ever written video game or elsewhere.  Get on youtube, look up "Cave Johnson quotes" and enjoy.

Offline Arctic Kat

• Friend
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 01:10:45 am »
Ah.. Prescription drug commercials....
Why must they always give warnings and directions on how to use them? I remember there was a Celebrex commercial that lasted two and a half minutes. (Just... why...? It's supposed to be an advertizement, not a %$#^& instruction manual.)

I've heard the United States is the only country in the world that allows direct-to-consumer prescription drug ads. (New Zealand allowed for them too, but I think they stopped recently.)

I think they're only making Americans feel more miserable, by always exposing us to the idea that we need name-brand medication to feel better.
Waarom mag een jongen nooit prinsesje
Waarom mag een meisje nooit superman zijn
Elke vogel bouwt z'n eigen nestje
Hier bij ons mag iedereen zijn wie ze zijn

Offline Lady Sarah

• Yes, it's another Sarah
  • Family
  • I love my hubby
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 09:04:11 pm »
The ones with girls in their teens or early twenties advertising anti wrinkle cream make no sense. Nobody in their 50s or 60s is going to look that young, no matter how much money they spend on a product.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016

Offline Haley Conner

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 09:16:40 pm »
There are so many commercials that I hate, but I think, currently topping the list would be the Charmin commercial with the cartoon bears, where the baby bear is coming out of the toilet, but he doesn't pass "inspection" because he has little wads of toilet paper on his bum.  The overall awfulness aside, the fact that it is the baby bear is funny, because kids don't have hairy bums, but adults do, meaning it's exclusively an adult issue.  So it's like they are trying to disingenuously attribute this embarrassing issue to the child.  And THEN, when it wraps up, it says " enjoy the go ".  Like, yeah, pop the champagne, I'm on the toilet.  And, "the go"??  Go is a verb, first of all.  And what is wrong with people that they can't say the word "poo" or any of the many other standard variations?  Thankfully my television broke some months ago, and I haven't bothered to get it repaired, so I have not been exposed to them for awhile.

Offline Lisa89125

• Family
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 09:22:26 pm »
Almost all of the commercials.

Lisa

"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Offline Lady Sarah

• Yes, it's another Sarah
  • Family
  • I love my hubby
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 11:21:19 pm »
Some of the most annoying commercials are the ones with the volume tuned to double the volume of the accompanying program. Do they really think you want to hear that garbage after you get up to visit the restroom during the commercial break?
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016

Offline Dena

• Family
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 12:20:38 am »
Some of the most annoying commercials are the ones with the volume tuned to double the volume of the accompanying program. Do they really think you want to hear that garbage after you get up to visit the restroom during the commercial break?
The FCC doesn't allow them to change the volume so they use something called an Audio Compressor. This little gem has been available for years and works by leaving the loud sound alone and raises the quiet ones to the ear shattering level of the loud sounds.
Rebirth Date 1982 - My Transition

Online ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 06:39:08 pm »
Commercials or videos with annoying or unpleasant to listen to music are annoying.   :)

However, what music is annoying to some is not annoying to others!

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Lexxi

• MTF Trans Woman
  • 50 Year old MTF
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 07:06:46 pm »
I have no idea what it's advertising but it's the one where the boy band is standing there singing...but not dancing while they're doing it. The people in the crowd start asking if they're the ones who are supposed to be dancing instead of the performers. The song in the commercial just grates on my nerves.
Finally started the process of becoming the real me! 5/20/19
Came out online 5/20/19
First time coming out face to face 6/3/19
First therapist appointment for HRT 6/3/19
Got my letter for HRT 6/10/19
Came out to my mom 6/18/19
Started HRT 7/12/19

Offline Lynne

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 02:42:38 am »
As a mtf, I am certainly getting tired of hearing all of these erectile dysfunction (ED) radio commercials.

Chrissy

Oh wow, what kind of radio stations do you listen to where they have such commercials? :D

Online ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 04:11:01 am »
Oh wow, what kind of radio stations do you listen to where they have such commercials? :D

Many stations it seems have them, often they are "Low Testosterone", "Low T", "men's health clinic", or some type of sexual performance pill commercial.

Offline Dena

• Family
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 10:05:16 am »
Even better. They run them on TV where you have a man and a woman doing a day to day activity and both have great big smiles on their face. The voice over makes the sales pitch and uses words that kids wouldn't understand. I always wonder how many children go to their parents and ask "What is erectile dysfunction?". More interesting would be to hear what the parents answer.  ;D
Rebirth Date 1982 - My Transition

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2019, 10:28:46 am »

Chrissy

I can do without the commercials*, but I am a big fan of the medication.  >:-)

*Oh, that's right, I'm in the UK, there is no prescription drug advertising here.  :)
Veteran, US Army

Online ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2019, 10:53:21 am »
This may seem fake, but it is true:   There is brand of VIP Pre-Poop spray product, something you are supposed to spray before using the toilet.  The radio commercial has a mother talking to her son, who finally leaves her presence after having too long of an awkward conversation and her saying something like, "When I first met your dad he thought that I haven't pooped in three years."

The commercials are probably on the Internet somewhere.

Ughh!

Tags: