Author Topic: Mountain Biking  (Read 680 times)

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
Mountain Biking
« on: September 15, 2019, 10:36:19 pm »
Just curious how many other members enjoy mountain biking. I travel a lot for work and a few years back was looking for a way to stay active while on the road. I discovered that Wisconsin and Minnesota are loaded with mountain bike trails and I find places to ride every day. I’ve even found some good trails in North Dakota and Nebraska. My home state of Iowa has some really great trails, too.

Offline CynthiaAnn

• like totally dig that pacific pulse....
Re: Mountain Biking
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 07:23:50 am »
Good Morning, I love to Mt Bike or trail ride (off road), nothing extreme for me, just a nice trail and beautiful scenery. Where I live in WA state, we have lovely trails in the Cascades for example, we are blessed here. Here is a quick pix from the "Iron Horse" trail in the Cascades, it's a several hundred mile bike trail system.

Enjoy !

C -

kindness is love nurturing your soul....

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 10:18:54 am »
I’m heading to Wisconsin this week and am going to ride my favorite Wisconsin trails, the John Muir trails in La Grange, WI. There’s a 10 mile loop on the east side of Country Road H that’s just about perfect for a quick ride. Takes me about 1.5 hours to complete the loop. In all I think there are around 30 miles of trails to ride. And if you don’t want to haul your bike or you need parts or anything, there’s a really nice shop called Backyard Bikes just down the road from the trailhead. They have bikes for rent, do repairs, sell parts and accessories, and have snacks and drinks for sale.

Colleen_definitely

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 09:42:43 pm »
I do love mountain biking, sadly I no longer live near anything resembling mountains.

When I did my undergrad at NAU I rode the hell out of the trails around Flagstaff.  That was a blast.

But I still have my 03 GT avalanche that I ride to this day, several chains, cranks, and control sets later.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 07:46:54 am »
I do love mountain biking, sadly I no longer live near anything resembling mountains.

Going down hill is a blast and well worth the effort to climb to the top. However, there are many other areas to enjoy an off road bicycle or even a dual purpose bicycle.

Just about everywhere in the US there are "rails to trails" pathways and city parks that are a nice ride. Sometimes you just have to look for them.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Colleen_definitely

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 08:00:29 am »
Rails to trails is a pretty great idea and I do live near one.  While it certainly beats dodging phone zombies around town, it's still just a dirt road.  I got spoiled by the mountains.

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 11:24:50 pm »
A few pictures from my ride in Wisconsin this week. I didn’t have room for my own bike, so I rented a super nice bike from Backyard Bikes.

https://imgur.com/gallery/WjH2Fp4

Offline anne_indy

• Friend
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 12:27:47 am »
I thought mountain biking was too dangerous so I stuck with road biking. It's far safer - Hah! Managed to fracture my femur and dislocate shoulder in an accident, resulting in surgery, 2 weeks in hospital, and several months of physical therapy. I am so wise to have avoided mountain biking.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 01:53:46 pm »
I thought mountain biking was too dangerous so I stuck with road biking. It's far safer - Hah! Managed to fracture my femur and dislocate shoulder in an accident, resulting in surgery, 2 weeks in hospital, and several months of physical therapy. I am so wise to have avoided mountain biking.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I used to do a ton of road biking back in my triathlon days. I had far too many close calls. I finally became convinced that if I ride my road bike it is only on dedicated bike/multi-use paths and I haul my bike to the path rather than riding it there. I have only had minor cuts and bruises mountain biking all the years I’ve been doing it. Never been seriously injured road biking, but I have certainly had far more experiences where that could have happened.

Offline Em2

• Trying to find me
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 10:55:42 am »
I also prefer mountain biking to road biking I live near London and the roads are just too busy, with reports of cyclists getting seriously hurt or killed regularly.

Much safer to hurl yourself down a mountain and hope you can stop at the bottom.

Although not many mountains near where I live but we do have lots of off road trails and International competition tracks which are fun.

Em

Offline Lady Sarah

• Yes, it's another Sarah
  • Family
  • I love my hubby
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 09:00:04 pm »
I am close to finishing my recumbant trike build. Not a mountain bike, but a 28 speed street trike geared for the climbing with the addition of the traditional large cog street bikes have on the front gear set. I'll have to drive for an hour just get get to the trails to ride it on, just because the streets and highways are too dangerous with the way drivers are  these days. 

Extremes? I welded the frame myself. 24" wheels in front, 26" wheel in back, all with solid tubes. I ain't got time for flat tires. The only tread is on the front tires, to aid in steering.

And I ain't even done yet. I still hafta finish assembling my seat, run the chain and cables, make adjustments, doublecheck my work, etc...
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016

Offline Mills

• dOn'T pAnIc! when in a dress
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 10:23:27 am »
Love mountain biking, I live less than a mile from one bike park (not telling you which one) and less than ten miles from bike park wales, also I like bike's.

Mills
I'm Quiet, Shy and permanently confused, shout at me if you want!

Online barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 02:05:37 pm »
Yes. I also sometimes ride mountain bike, especially in summer. But, it is a little bit dangerous here because of a few crazy car, bus and truck drivers. I am always very cautious about any unexpected event. Running is safer than riding bike here.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline jackiefox5585

• Neighbor
  • First makeup success
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 09:03:55 am »
I don't mountain bike, but I love riding bikes on bike trails and such. Just picked up a folding bike not long ago that I leave in the trunk of my car so I can go bike riding whenever there is time.
Peace is a lie
there is only passion
through Passion I gain strength
through Strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through Victory my chains are broken
The force shall free me

Offline JennyTG

• Family
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 01:44:09 pm »
I own a cheap mountain bike but I only use it for road use as part of my exercise.  I will never go back to a road bike, I used them a lot as a kid.

~Jenny~

Offline jackiefox5585

• Neighbor
  • First makeup success
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 02:29:38 am »
I own a cheap mountain bike but I only use it for road use as part of my exercise.  I will never go back to a road bike, I used them a lot as a kid.

~Jenny~

why would you not go back?
Peace is a lie
there is only passion
through Passion I gain strength
through Strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through Victory my chains are broken
The force shall free me

Offline JennyTG

• Family
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 03:19:31 am »
why would you not go back?

Oh I'm just more comfortable now on a MB now, they are much more sturdier and built for different terrain that's all.  If I was into a long distance workout or commuting it would be a different story.

~Jenny~

Tags: