Author Topic: Changes to gender-affirming surgery requirements in Alberta raise concerns  (Read 436 times)

Offline AnneK

Global News revealed Monday the impact of a recent resignation by the lead psychiatrist to one of the province's gender clinics. As Jill Croteau explains, there are concerning new developments in the ongoing crisis in transgender health care.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5915272/alberta-transgender-surgery-rules-concerns/
By Jill Croteau
Reporter  Global News

Alberta recently got a Conservative government.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 10:19:22 pm by stephaniec »
I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Re: Changes to gender-affirming surgery requirements in Alberta raise concerns
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 03:20:30 am »
Other than wanting a political fight to break out in your thread, why are you including that tidbit? I don't live there, but based on your other thread about this clinic, it seems that it was under a liberal government that Dr Mitchell had to seek his own funding to open the clinic?

I'm more than happy to be educated on the situation, of course.
Veteran, US Army

Offline Lexxi

• MTF Trans Woman
  • 50 Year old MTF
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 04:01:59 am »
Hi Anne,

I feel for the trans people in Alberta. Sadly we're such a small minority it's very hard for us to effect much voting change. I'm sure that government will eventually do or change something that ends up hurting a lot of people. Once that happens hopefully they'll end up getting voted right back out of office.
Finally started the process of becoming the real me! 5/20/19
Came out online 5/20/19
First time coming out face to face 6/3/19
First therapist appointment for HRT 6/3/19
Got my letter for HRT 6/10/19
Came out to my mom 6/18/19
Started HRT 7/12/19

Offline AnneK

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 05:51:35 am »
Other than wanting a political fight to break out in your thread, why are you including that tidbit?

It's just to indicate what so many "Conservative" governments do, though not just with LGBQT issues.  We also got a Conservative government in Ontario last year and they have been a disaster in so many ways.  One thing was they rolled back the sex ed programs to exclude things like gender identity and so on.  Fortunatly, they've since rolled back to pretty much what we had previously.  We have a federal election in Canada next month.  The Conservative candidate for Prime Minister keeps showing ties to those who would oppose us and others.

BTW, the previous Alberta  government was NDP, not Liberal.
I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 05:55:42 am »
It's just to indicate what so many "Conservative" governments do, though not just with LGBQT issues.  We also got a Conservative government in Ontario last year and they have been a disaster in so many ways.  One thing was they rolled back the sex ed programs to exclude things like gender identity and so on.  Fortunatly, they've since rolled back to pretty much what we had previously.  We have a federal election in Canada next month.  The Conservative candidate for Prime Minister keeps showing ties to those who would oppose us and others.

BTW, the previous Alberta  government was NDP, not Liberal.

I knew it was NDP, I assumed they were the equivalent of liberal, much as our democrats are largely liberal, and our republicans are largely conservative. Thanks for the correction.
Veteran, US Army

Offline AnneK

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 08:51:16 am »
I knew it was NDP, I assumed they were the equivalent of liberal, much as our democrats are largely liberal, and our republicans are largely conservative. Thanks for the correction.

In Canada, the Conservatives are the Republicans and the Liberals are closer to the Democrats.  The NDP are further left, though it didn't look that way in the last federal election.

Also, Alberta is Canada's Texas.  Both areas are large oil & beef producers and the people tend to have similar attitudes.

Offline Erika_

• Friend
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 02:27:26 pm »
The process is so annoyingly long as it is, if I get held back any longer I'll just do it myself.

I've been dealing with the healthcare system in this province for a long time, and it's horrible. I've been trying to get hormones since I was ten, but I only got on them this year. Now with severe and worsening genital dysphoria I'm losing my patience.

I'm really getting sick of this country.

Tags: