News and Events > Science & Medical News

Changes to gender-affirming surgery requirements in Alberta raise concerns

(1/2) > >>

AnneK:

--- Quote ---Global News revealed Monday the impact of a recent resignation by the lead psychiatrist to one of the province's gender clinics. As Jill Croteau explains, there are concerning new developments in the ongoing crisis in transgender health care.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5915272/alberta-transgender-surgery-rules-concerns/

--- End quote ---
By Jill Croteau
Reporter  Global News

Alberta recently got a Conservative government.

Devlyn:
Other than wanting a political fight to break out in your thread, why are you including that tidbit? I don't live there, but based on your other thread about this clinic, it seems that it was under a liberal government that Dr Mitchell had to seek his own funding to open the clinic?

I'm more than happy to be educated on the situation, of course.

Lexxi:
Hi Anne,

I feel for the trans people in Alberta. Sadly we're such a small minority it's very hard for us to effect much voting change. I'm sure that government will eventually do or change something that ends up hurting a lot of people. Once that happens hopefully they'll end up getting voted right back out of office.

AnneK:

--- Quote from: Devlyn on September 18, 2019, 03:20:30 am ---Other than wanting a political fight to break out in your thread, why are you including that tidbit?

--- End quote ---

It's just to indicate what so many "Conservative" governments do, though not just with LGBQT issues.  We also got a Conservative government in Ontario last year and they have been a disaster in so many ways.  One thing was they rolled back the sex ed programs to exclude things like gender identity and so on.  Fortunatly, they've since rolled back to pretty much what we had previously.  We have a federal election in Canada next month.  The Conservative candidate for Prime Minister keeps showing ties to those who would oppose us and others.

BTW, the previous Alberta  government was NDP, not Liberal.

Devlyn:

--- Quote from: AnneK on September 18, 2019, 05:51:35 am ---It's just to indicate what so many "Conservative" governments do, though not just with LGBQT issues.  We also got a Conservative government in Ontario last year and they have been a disaster in so many ways.  One thing was they rolled back the sex ed programs to exclude things like gender identity and so on.  Fortunatly, they've since rolled back to pretty much what we had previously.  We have a federal election in Canada next month.  The Conservative candidate for Prime Minister keeps showing ties to those who would oppose us and others.

BTW, the previous Alberta  government was NDP, not Liberal.

--- End quote ---

I knew it was NDP, I assumed they were the equivalent of liberal, much as our democrats are largely liberal, and our republicans are largely conservative. Thanks for the correction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version