Activism and Politics > Discrimination

Supreme Court decision on LGBT

(1/1)

Labiche:
I own a condo that is paid for.  I'm just wondering if they could try to deny me access to my own condo if the Supreme Court says LGBT discrimination is legal?  I seriously doubt it but then such a decision would mean a whole new ball game. 

itsApril:
Good afternoon, Labiche!

No, there will be NO impact on your ownership of your condo.  The case coming up this week is a major threat to our rights, but it doesn't concern property rights.  The thrust of these cases is an attempt by employers and the Trump administration to get a ruling to the effect that gay and trans folks have no federal anti-discrimination protection with respect to EMPLOYMENT.

In the worst case, (and frankly I expect the worst given the current balance of forces on the Supreme Court) the ruling may make it "open season" for employers in many states to to discriminate against or fire employees due to hostility over their sexual orientation or gender identity.

That said, many states (including my own state of California) have STATE protections for LGBT folks with respect to employment, and the Supreme Court cannot simply erase these protections under state law.

One final thing to worry about: The efforts of the Trump Administration to roll back gay and trans rights often come garbed in "religious" attire.  They seek to give homophobes and transphobes the "right" to ignore anti-discrimination laws based on the theory that their religious traditions require them to hate and disrespect gay and trans people.  If the Supreme Court ruling contains an explicit endorsement of this perverse interpretation of "religious liberty," it will have a very damaging impact on us in MANY aspects of life.

Rakel:
All condos have covenants which all owners must sign and abide by.  Whatever the covenants specify are the reasons for expulsion from the condo.

Then, lets also consider eminent domain issues, which the Supreme Court recently said that individuals can now force a sale against the owners wishes.

Money talks...

Maid Marion:
https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/housing_discrimination_and_persons_identifying_lgbtq
Persons who identify as LGBTQ who believe they have experienced housing discrimination may be able to pursue a claim under all or some of the following:
The Fair Housing Act, if they have experienced discrimination under one of the Act’s seven protected classes, such as sex or disability;
HUD’s Equal Access Rule; or
State and local anti-discrimination laws that specifically include sexual orientation and/or gender identity as protected classes.

Labiche:

--- Quote from: itsApril on October 08, 2019, 03:27:42 pm ---Good afternoon, Labiche!

No, there will be NO impact on your ownership of your condo.  The case coming up this week is a major threat to our rights, but it doesn't concern property rights.  The thrust of these cases is an attempt by employers and the Trump administration to get a ruling to the effect that gay and trans folks have no federal anti-discrimination protection with respect to EMPLOYMENT.

In the worst case, (and frankly I expect the worst given the current balance of forces on the Supreme Court) the ruling may make it "open season" for employers in many states to to discriminate against or fire employees due to hostility over their sexual orientation or gender identity.

That said, many states (including my own state of California) have STATE protections for LGBT folks with respect to employment, and the Supreme Court cannot simply erase these protections under state law.

One final thing to worry about: The efforts of the Trump Administration to roll back gay and trans rights often come garbed in "religious" attire.  They seek to give homophobes and transphobes the "right" to ignore anti-discrimination laws based on the theory that their religious traditions require them to hate and disrespect gay and trans people.  If the Supreme Court ruling contains an explicit endorsement of this perverse interpretation of "religious liberty," it will have a very damaging impact on us in MANY aspects of life.

--- End quote ---

Yeah I have a feeling it ain't gonna go well at the Supreme Court.  But who knows.  If it goes south though I have a small trust that I could live on without needing to work.  I couldn't live large but I wouldn't be destitute.  It will be a sad day if America becomes a nation that legally sanctions discrimination.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version