Community Conversation > Intersex talk

Self-Identifying PAIS?

(1/5) > >>

ParkerTalks:
Hello,

How exactly does one see whether their genitals are "fully feminized" or "fully masculinized" without going to a doctor about it?
I can only find diagram or drawing scales, and while that's somewhat useful, they're drawn from an angle that is not anywhere close to how one sees their own genitalia. There don't seem to be any actual picture scales available, which is what would really be the most helpful.

I have wondered for years what exactly biology texts mean by "inner" and "outer" labia, and it's occurred to me that maybe the reason I don't understand what they're talking about is because mine are merged.
Also like, what counts as an "enlarged clitoris" ?? that's so vague! I know mine is on the larger side, but I don't know if it's "enlarged", because I don't know what that means, or how to tell the clitoris from the clitoral hood.

I think it's a possibility that I fall into category 5 on the quigley scale, but without pictures, I can't be conclusive. What does an inner labia even look like? What would I be looking for?? Where would I be looking?!

I am trans (FTM), and I know that PAIS can be linked to gender dysphoria. I can't go to a doctor to speak to them about this, because it would make me so dysphoric I'd either throw up or pass out or both to have someone examine my genitals. I will be starting HRT in the next few months, and I know that if I do have PAIS, it's something that needs to be addressed with my endocrinologist.

Help!  :'(

Dena:
I am not a good one to ask about this because I have only seen my own however that is a feature of the body that varies widely  from person to person. Even in males no two bottoms look the same. To get an idea what you might be facing, google "Wall of Vaginas". Sorry but a direct link would be a TOS violation however it's a work of art that shows a number of woman bottoms. I think if you want a better option you would have to ask a gynecologist if there is anything abnormal about your bottom structure.

ParkerTalks:

--- Quote from: Dena on October 09, 2019, 12:21:05 am ---I am not a good one to ask about this because I have only seen my own however that is a feature of the body that varies widely  from person to person. Even in males no two bottoms look the same. To get an idea what you might be facing, google "Wall of Vaginas". Sorry but a direct link would be a TOS violation however it's a work of art that shows a number of woman bottoms. I think if you want a better option you would have to ask a gynecologist if there is anything abnormal about your bottom structure.

--- End quote ---

@Dena

That was actually very helpful, thank you.

My poor asexual soul is mildly scarred now, but whatcha gonna do. Dear god genitals disturb me.

Based on that... yeah I don't think I fit the normal female phenotype. I also found the measurements for what is considered an enlarged clitoris, and I meet them.

I guess I have to figure out what to do about this. My problem with going to the doctor is that other people interacting with my genitals makes me severely dysphoric. I have no plan on ever getting bottom surgery...

josie76:
Hi Parker,

A good way to help would be to have a doctor order a karyotype test. This will identify your sex chromosomes. If you have XX chromosomes it is doubtful that androgen insensitivity is an issue for you. If you have 46XY then PAIS is likely. However it would also be possible to have some trisomy condition like XXY Kleinfelters.

If you end up 46 XY then your doctor/endocrinologist might consider giving you a blocker for the aromatase enzyme. Otherwise excess T could be converted into E in your body tissues.
If you are 46 XX then not likely an issue for you. There are a number of other conditions that can influence partial masculinization of otherwise female genetic fetuses. If you don't have a Y chromosome then likely your T hormone therapy should go just fine.

ParkerTalks:

--- Quote from: josie76 on October 09, 2019, 10:00:52 am ---Hi Parker,

A good way to help would be to have a doctor order a karyotype test. This will identify your sex chromosomes. If you have XX chromosomes it is doubtful that androgen insensitivity is an issue for you. If you have 46XY then PAIS is likely. However it would also be possible to have some trisomy condition like XXY Kleinfelters.

If you end up 46 XY then your doctor/endocrinologist might consider giving you a blocker for the aromatase enzyme. Otherwise excess T could be converted into E in your body tissues.
If you are 46 XX then not likely an issue for you. There are a number of other conditions that can influence partial masculinization of otherwise female genetic fetuses. If you don't have a Y chromosome then likely your T hormone therapy should go just fine.

--- End quote ---

@josie76
ok thats definitely an idea.

Hmmmm, don't know how I would manage it without stating my reason for wanting it.  Do you know what kind of test a karyotype test is? Is it a blood test?

I got preliminary bloodwork done for starting HRT a few weeks ago, which showed ridiculously high DHEA-S levels (above male range), and high, though not worryingly high testosterone levels. Not sure how much that might affect this.
I'm getting ultrasounds done of my Adrenal Glands, and, where my Ovaries *should* be. Am I right in remembering reading that the "pelvic" ultrasound should show if I have PAIS or not?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version