Author Topic: Forced obsolescence?  (Read 922 times)

Online ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
Forced obsolescence?
« on: October 13, 2019, 10:45:09 am »
Don't you just dislike it when some company says you can no longer update your mobile device to a newer operating system, when you need the newer operating system to use some other device or app or online service, etc.?

Ughhh!

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Lexxi

• MTF Trans Woman
  • 50 Year old MTF
Re: Forced obsolescence?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 12:04:33 pm »
Hi Chrissy,

Why yes I do!! When my Walmart app quit working a couple of years ago I had to go out and buy a brand new phone. I'm one of those people who gets every last second of use out of something I own before I replace it. So I didn't like getting rid of a perfectly good phone just to appease the Walmart app.  :laugh:

I recently learned that I'm going to have to replace my desktop computer. The reason is because I'm still running Windows 7, and sadly Microsoft is going to quit supporting it in January. So I'm going to have to upgrade to Windows 10...which I HATE!

I've already started looking around for a new desktop. Wow...I couldn't believe how much more expensive they are now. But for me a desktop is a must, so it looks like I'll be forking out $600-$700 just a couple of weeks after Christmas. I must say I'm not really looking forward to that!

Lexxi
Finally started the process of becoming the real me! 5/20/19
Came out online 5/20/19
First time coming out face to face 6/3/19
First therapist appointment for HRT 6/3/19
Got my letter for HRT 6/10/19
Came out to my mom 6/18/19
Started HRT 7/12/19

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 01:34:19 pm »
Dell Optiplex 7010 Small Form Factor Desktop Computer, Intel Quad-Core i7-3770 Up to 3.9GHz, 16GB RAM, 2TB 7200 RPM HDD, DVD, USB 3.0, WIFI, Windows 10 Pro (Renewed)
3.5 out of 5 stars 144$248.99

I'm using a refurbed Optiplex i7 Win 10 system, as i'm not into gaming that would need a graphics card.  The audio can fixed up with a new sound card, as these are industrial computers designed for controlling stuff with a serial port.

Online ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 02:23:40 pm »
Hi Chrissy,

Why yes I do!! When my Walmart app quit working a couple of years ago I had to go out and buy a brand new phone. I'm one of those people who gets every last second of use out of something I own before I replace it. So I didn't like getting rid of a perfectly good phone just to appease the Walmart app.  :laugh:

I recently learned that I'm going to have to replace my desktop computer. The reason is because I'm still running Windows 7, and sadly Microsoft is going to quit supporting it in January. So I'm going to have to upgrade to Windows 10...which I HATE!

I've already started looking around for a new desktop. Wow...I couldn't believe how much more expensive they are now. But for me a desktop is a must, so it looks like I'll be forking out $600-$700 just a couple of weeks after Christmas. I must say I'm not really looking forward to that!

Lexxi

I think you will still be able to use Windows 7.  Your PC should not stop working.

They just will not help you with it or provide security updates (Unless it is a really big security flaw, then they might.  They have done that before for older Windows.)

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline JudiBlueEyes

• Family
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 05:10:17 pm »
I get frustrated too.  I have an older Samsung Galaxy Tab that I use to read news and whatnot in the evening.  Several apps stopped working recently due to the older OS that I cannot upgrade.   I ended up being a new tablet; should have it this week.   
Wind blew in, cloud was dispersed
Rainbows appearing, the pressures were burst
Breezes a-singing, now feeling good
The moment had passed like I knew that it should

Colleen_definitely

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 05:20:01 pm »
I think you will still be able to use Windows 7.  Your PC should not stop working.

They just will not help you with it or provide security updates (Unless it is a really big security flaw, then they might.  They have done that before for older Windows.)

Chrissy

Yep, this is correct.  The computer won't magically self destruct.

It is also possible that you can "upgrade" (I use that term loosely and with lots of sarcasm) to win10 with the existing hardware.  It all depends on what you've got, win10 is pretty memory hungry.

Personally the laptop I have in front of me right now is going to be the last microsoft OS machine I own if I can avoid it.  Ubuntu (a version of linux) really makes things just as easy as win7 without all of the privacy invading data mining and constant advertising BS inside of win10.  Linux has come a loooooong way and it's pretty nice I have to say.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 05:34:29 pm »
Linux has come a loooooong way and it's pretty nice I have to say.

I have been using it for years.
I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.

Offline Melinda@heart

• Friend
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 08:13:51 pm »
I have worked in the wireless industry for many years now. I managed several kiosks and have my own store now. Your complaint is echoed by many. There was a class action lawsuit against Apple, Samsung, Verizon, TMobile, At&t, etc. about this very topic. They were forcing updates to older devices which in turn caused those devices to slow down and caused the battery to deplete faster. Phone manufacturers were making phones with better processors, more memory, etc, etc. The App developers were making apps that took advantage of the newer hardware. Unfortunately, older devices couldn't keep up or properly run these apps.  They just couldn't handle it. As part of the class action lawsuit, forced updates were minimized or stopped all together. Or so they say....

A lot of the App developers only offer one version of their app, a version that works best on newer devices. Some feel these companies make it so you're forced to upgrade to a newer device. I can tell you though, theres not much money for us when it comes to upgrades. The real money for carriers is in new customers. That's why carriers are willing to pay off up to $650 on your current device if you switch. One company I worked for was paid $1000 per new line activated at their kiosks. It didn't matter if you bought an iPhone or a cheaper LG.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Lexxi

• MTF Trans Woman
  • 50 Year old MTF
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 08:27:35 pm »
Hi Melinda,

I've never liked Apple products. In fact I've kind of railed about them in the past. However I'd love to have one of the new iPhones, and I want one for just one purpose. I'd love to have the talking emojis. That looks like so much fun!!!
Came out online 5/20/19
Started HRT 7/12/19

Online ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 08:28:00 pm »
I have worked in the wireless industry for many years now. I managed several kiosks and have my own store now. Your complaint is echoed by many. There was a class action lawsuit against Apple, Samsung, Verizon, TMobile, At&t, etc. about this very topic. They were forcing updates to older devices which in turn caused those devices to slow down and caused the battery to deplete faster. Phone manufacturers were making phones with better processors, more memory, etc, etc. The App developers were making apps that took advantage of the newer hardware. Unfortunately, older devices couldn't keep up or properly run these apps.  They just couldn't handle it. As part of the class action lawsuit, forced updates were minimized or stopped all together. Or so they say....

A lot of the App developers only offer one version of their app, a version that works best on newer devices. Some feel these companies make it so you're forced to upgrade to a newer device. I can tell you though, theres not much money for us when it comes to upgrades. The real money for carriers is in new customers. That's why carriers are willing to pay off up to $650 on your current device if you switch. One company I worked for was paid $1000 per new line activated at their kiosks. It didn't matter if you bought an iPhone or a cheaper LG.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If new customers get the best deals, should most consumers simply change carriers every two years?  How long must you be away from a specific carrier to be able to come back as a new customer and get some deals?  Now, I suppose you need devices that will work on all the carriers that one switches back and forth from.

But now it seems far easier to have unlocked devices because carriers really do not seem to subsidize them as much as before.

In a way, I would not want to switch if I am satisfied with service provided.  Why not reward the provider with your continued business? But then you are paying higher rates because of your loyalty.  But you could remember that you got the good deal when you switched to them. 

On the other hand, I see really nice deals given to “switchers” and “new customers.”  It can make a significant difference in your monthly rate.

I tend to be loyal but sometimes I wonder if that is just plain dumb if you can get better deals by switching and your devices do not have to be replaced.

There seems to be less use of contracts now and some carriers give you a bring your own device discount.

Chrissy

Offline Lexxi

• MTF Trans Woman
  • 50 Year old MTF
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 08:33:14 pm »
Hi Chrissy,

I know I could still keep using my computer, but I'm VERY security conscious and I'm afraid that without Windows updates it would allow the bad guys to get into my computer. That terrifies me. I lost ALL of my data one time after I got a really wicked virus. I don't want that to happen again.

I've thought about upgrading to Windows 10 in my current computer, but my dad said that sometimes leads to a lot of problems. So I'll probably wait until the black Friday sales come out and see if I can get a good deal on a new machine.

Hi Marion,

That sounds like a good deal...I'll check it out. Thank you!!
Came out online 5/20/19
Started HRT 7/12/19

Online ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 08:48:26 pm »
Hi Chrissy,

I know I could still keep using my computer, but I'm VERY security conscious and I'm afraid that without Windows updates it would allow the bad guys to get into my computer. That terrifies me. I lost ALL of my data one time after I got a really wicked virus. I don't want that to happen again.

I've thought about upgrading to Windows 10 in my current computer, but my dad said that sometimes leads to a lot of problems. So I'll probably wait until the black Friday sales come out and see if I can get a good deal on a new machine.

Hi Marion,

That sounds like a good deal...I'll check it out. Thank you!!

Definitely get good virus protection for  a Windows machine.  I feel much safer on the Apple platform.  You can emulate a Windows machine on an Apple computer if need be, but you typically need to buy Windows and I think still a partitioning / Operating System choices
management program.

You still can get some “malware” issues on the Apple platform but not nearly as many as on the Windows environment.  Experts here can explore this more in depth here I am sure. 

Chrissy

Offline Arctic Kat

• Friend
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 09:30:45 pm »
This reminds me of how I wanted to downgrade back to MacOS 12.
When I upgraded to MacOS 13, it locked me out of Final Cut Express and Logic Express, software I had been using since 2008. Apple wants me to purchase Final Cut "Pro" and Logic "Pro," which cost $299.99 and $199.99.

... I really don't see why I can't just keep using my older software, if my laptop still has the capacity to run them.
Waarom mag een jongen nooit prinsesje
Waarom mag een meisje nooit superman zijn
Elke vogel bouwt z'n eigen nestje
Hier bij ons mag iedereen zijn wie ze zijn

Offline Lady Sarah

• Yes, it's another Sarah
  • Family
  • I love my hubby
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 09:37:02 pm »
I refuse to use Windows 10. I have a laptop with that operating system, and found out over 90% of the software I have on CDrom won't install on it. I also have a Windows 8 laptop, with automatic updates turned off... because if those updates are turned on, it will automatically install Windows 10.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016

Online ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 09:37:28 pm »
This reminds me of how I wanted to downgrade back to MacOS 12.
When I upgraded to MacOS 13, it locked me out of Final Cut Express and Logic Express, software I had been using since 2008. Apple wants me to purchase Final Cut "Pro" and Logic "Pro," which cost $299.99 and $199.99.

... I really don't see why I can't just keep using my older software, if my laptop still has the capacity to run them.

That stinks!

Chrissy

Offline AnneK

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2019, 09:41:00 pm »
Hi Melinda,

I've never liked Apple products. In fact I've kind of railed about them in the past. However I'd love to have one of the new iPhones, and I want one for just one purpose. I'd love to have the talking emojis. That looks like so much fun!!!

I have used iPhones and find they tend to get in the way, just like other Apple products.  They're even worse than Windows in that regard.
I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2019, 09:43:42 pm »
If new customers get the best deals, should most consumers simply change carriers every two years?  How long must you be away from a specific carrier to be able to come back as a new customer and get some deals?

I have been with the same carrier for 25 years.  My bill is much less than what others pay.  In fact, my phone and data combined is about what others pay just for a similar amount of data.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2019, 09:45:11 pm »
Definitely get good virus protection for  a Windows machine.  I feel much safer on the Apple platform.

There has never been a viable virus for Linux.  While Apple is no doubt better than Windows, I don't know if it's as good as Linux, though the underlying BSD should be.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2019, 09:48:46 pm »

That's another advantage of Linux.  First off, that situation is rare.  Even if it happens, the source code is available, so that someone who is so inclined can recompile for the newer OS.  This also makes it easy to port to different CPUs.  For example, the big IBM supercomputers, that are commonly used in research, run Linux on the PowerPC chip.

Offline Linde

• Full time for some time
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 03:45:21 pm »
The worst thing about WIN 10 is that they constantly push automatic updates into your computer.  You can't stop that as with older WI programs.  I live in the middle of the jungle, and have not that much network speed and bandwidth to tart with.  If Microsoft decides to pus another update, my entire system slows down to a crawl  I have no problems with installing all what I want to install, I just hate this slowing down.  I can set the computer when to install the updates, but I have no influence on when they push it onto me.  i hate that!

Tags: