Author Topic: Forced obsolescence?  (Read 923 times)

Offline Lisa89125

• Family
Re: Forced obsolescence?
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2019, 04:53:12 pm »
Why yes, I really hate this as well. I really like Windows XP and hated being forced to upgrade to Vista. I now run windows 7, but haven't been able to get some legacy games to work on it.  >:( I don't plan to upgrade to windows 10. I'm looking into Linux.

Lisa
"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Offline Paul Muad-Dib

• Family
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2019, 10:05:02 am »
Yes, it's a corporate cancer, really. Phones, computer software, games, DVDs... the plan is to make them all something to continually pay for.

Since I don't like it I generally refuse to engage. When my (only) smart phone becomes "obsolete" I will reward them by buying a 'dumb' phone, when Photoshop moved to cloud and rental model I started using other (free) means to edit my images. When they eventually move to make DVDs obsolete I will look into some means on the internet to find non-streamed movies. When they started with the microtransactions and releases of parts of games I began to lose interest and excitement toward them. I recently upgraded Win 7 to Win 10 (which is awful) for free, but when they inevitably start demanding you purchase a new OS every year I will go looking into alternative OS.

It can't be altogether avoided but I will make it as difficult for them as I can rather than just go along with it.

Online ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2019, 10:16:17 am »
I did buy a new telephone because this new watch required it!
The watch is cool though.  I have made a few cellular (not WiFi) calls and received some on the watch without my iPhone being near it. 

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Linde

• Full time for some time
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2019, 10:53:02 am »
The watch is cool though.  I have made a few cellular (not WiFi) calls and received some on the watch without my iPhone being near it. 

Chrissy
I am already on the second generation of those gizmos (I have the Samsung system), I think it must be almost 6 years for me, and I would not want to be without a watch pone combination.  I like it best for being able to see messages on your watch and answering them with canne text, not needing to pull the phone out all the time!

Offline JoanneB

• Third times a charm?
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2019, 12:51:51 pm »
I recently learned that I'm going to have to replace my desktop computer. The reason is because I'm still running Windows 7, and sadly Microsoft is going to quit supporting it in January. So I'm going to have to upgrade to Windows 10...which I HATE!
Heck... I have a laptop with Widows XP I regularly use. Microsoft still does the security updates no matter what. IE whatever.... Who would want to use that security risk. I'm forced to use IE at work where they are forced to have like 3 different anti-everythings running on the networks and the machines.

The laptop I'm on now is Win 7. I have no intention to upgrade it. The only reason I have this is because a much needed software package demands it. I tried the "Free" windows 10 upgrade on it and had issues with Firefox slowly crawling to a halt after a few sleep/hibernate cycles. In another year or so I'll probably have to get a new used machine or try Win 10 again when I can no longer use the needed s/w

There is also the option to ditch windows. Linux Mint runs great on even the oldest dual core machines with a gig of memory. With 500 Meg a bit more pokey. The distro comes with Open-Office. For plain ole surfing and home office it will do all you need without the MS hassles

You can find great deals on last gen hardware on Ebay. Even better deals if you are a bit hardware savy as a lot of machines lack hard drives and or operating systems. Fortunately outfits like Dell have an OEM license so all you need is the Dell OEM install disk, typically $5 or so.  The only time I by new is pieces when I am building a super desktop/tower/server.
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)

Offline AnneK

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2019, 01:03:24 pm »

https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/3_22_tracy_dick1.jpg?w=505   ;)
I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.

Offline Jessica_K

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2019, 01:07:30 pm »
The worst thing about WIN 10 is that they constantly push automatic updates into your computer.  You can't stop that as with older WI programs.  I live in the middle of the jungle, and have not that much network speed and bandwidth to tart with.  If Microsoft decides to pus another update, my entire system slows down to a crawl  I have no problems with installing all what I want to install, I just hate this slowing down.  I can set the computer when to install the updates, but I have no influence on when they push it onto me.  i hate that!
Even worse is Microsoft complete disregard to the processes that are running. I could have a simulation running over night and find the update had restarted the pc and a whole night wasted

Offline Linde

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2019, 02:06:49 pm »
Even worse is Microsoft complete disregard to the processes that are running. I could have a simulation running over night and find the update had restarted the pc and a whole night wasted
Don't you hate that?  And they push their stuff through whenever they feel like.  I live pretty much towards the end of the world, and am happy if I get some decent line speed (8 gig max), and Microsoft comes and steals halve of it away to push their stuff through that is of no benefit to me!

Offline AnneK

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2019, 06:58:44 am »

Steve Balmer had that experience right in the middle of a public presentation.  You'd think Microsoft would have taken the hint after that.  With Linux, the only thing that requires a reboot is a new kernel.  Even then, you only get a pop up message advising a reboot.
I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Offline Erika_

• Friend
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2019, 02:42:38 pm »
I'm not happy about it either, I only got a cell phone after the last payphone in town died in 2016. I got a smartphone earlier this year when I went to renew my phone plan, the only reason I got it was because it was $150 with all the coupons and offers the phone company was sending me that I had ignored.

I still have the flip-phone that I got in 2016, I might need it again if the smartphone quits. Because I'm not getting another one unless it's free.

I've also been using the same computer since 2014, I don't know what windows it has on it, but it keeps telling me to install windows 10. I also don't know how to change my name on the computer, so it's got my old name on it.

Online ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
Forced obsolescence?
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2019, 04:45:19 pm »
The worst thing about WIN 10 is that they constantly push automatic updates into your computer.  You can't stop that as with older WI programs.  I live in the middle of the jungle, and have not that much network speed and bandwidth to tart with.  If Microsoft decides to pus another update, my entire system slows down to a crawl  I have no problems with installing all what I want to install, I just hate this slowing down.  I can set the computer when to install the updates, but I have no influence on when they push it onto me.  i hate that!

@Linde

Hi again Linde,

Is there still an option to install the updates at a time such a 3 a.m.?  Look for that option in your settings.  Perhaps that will help you.   :)

Hugs,

Chrissy

Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Linde

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2019, 08:27:43 pm »
@Linde

Hi again Linde,

Is there still an option to install the updates at a time such a 3 a.m.?  Look for that option in your settings.  Perhaps that will help you.   :)

Hugs,

Chrissy
That is still there, but it is only the installation time, but the push the software into my computer during working hours, and that cripples my bandwidth!

Offline AnneK

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2019, 09:53:05 pm »
That is still there, but it is only the installation time, but the push the software into my computer during working hours, and that cripples my bandwidth!

You can pause the updates for up to 35 days and manually get them at your convenience.

Offline Linde

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2019, 10:39:36 pm »
You can pause the updates for up to 35 days and manually get them at your convenience.
With Win 10?  I have not found that switch!

Offline AnneK

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2019, 05:59:23 am »
With Win 10?  I have not found that switch!

The Pause updates for 7 days button is right below the Check for updates button and you can change the length of the pause through the Advanced options.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2019, 08:03:16 am »
I just tried a test, as I had never used that pause function before.  After pausing, you get a message that updates will be paused for the interval.  Then as soon as you release the pause, update runs.  So, when you set the pause to 35 days, you can run the update at any time you wish, but if you do nothing, it will update at the end of the pause time.

Offline Linde

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2019, 08:57:51 am »
Thanks, I will try this.  It just updated yesterday.

Tags: