Author Topic: Laura's FFS Journal  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Laura1951

• Friend
Laura's FFS Journal
« on: October 15, 2019, 11:46:05 pm »
I've been here before, but since I had deleted my profile several months ago, I'm repeating this post now. You can catch up with my story in the introductions section.

Last May, I made the 2 1/2 hour drive to Kaiser Oakland for my FFS consultation with Dr. Shih. As written about by others, he and his PA are very helpful and respectful.

The procedures he’s recommending are:
Hairline lowering
Frontal cranioplasty with orbital contouring (Type 3)
Browlift
Rhinoplasty
Lip lift
Jaw contouring
Laryngochodroplasty (tracheal shave)

In addition, he recommended cosmetic cheek injections and talked about fat injections in my lips. However, given the before/after pictures from other’s lip lifts, I think the effect will sufficiently enhance my lips. I will opt for the cheek injections though.

As far as a timeline, he said they’re looking at a 12-14 month wait. However, they are bringing on a third surgeon, so that might speed things up just a bit.

He also recommended a face lift, but only after the initial FFS so we can see if those effects are enough. He said the cheek injections would cost around 3K and the face lift might cost 11K. Both doable….

Last week, I received a call from their office and we’ve scheduled my FFS for June 16, 2020.

And now the wait.

Laura
One New Life to Live (My personal blog)

Laura's HRT Journal     |     Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: Laura's FFS Journal
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 11:59:24 pm »
@Laura1951
Dear Laura:
Thanks for sharing you good news about getting confirmed for surgery next summer...  the time will fly by faster that you might realize.
Please keep us all updated as your special day approaches.

On the first thread that you recently posted I provided in my Welcome Back message to you important and informative LINKS that will help you to get the best experience here on the forums.

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place,

Best wishes to you,
Danielle

***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline Laura1951

• Friend
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 01:55:09 pm »
It looks like COVID-19 is halting all FFS at Kaiser.

I belong to a FB group, Transgender Care via Kaiser, where one person said their March 27th FFS with Kaiser had been cancelled. The surgeon's office didn't immediately reschedule, saying they were on lockdown for 3-4 months.

After waiting more than a year for my FFS, it looks like it will be at least October for my date.....I've not yet heard from Kaiser, since my current date is June 16th, but the dominoes are falling.

Frack.

Laura

Offline Laura1951

• Friend
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 09:29:22 pm »
Six Months

I have two questions for those who are reading this, and I hope to hear from many of you.

It’s hard to believe that I’ve reached the six month mark, particularly since it’s taken me four years to get here.. yes, I first started HRT nearly four years ago and then stopped more times than I can remember. When i began this current six-month journey, I’d previously stopped for five months. Given that I’d never gone six weeks without stopping, I’m particularly proud to be this stubborn.

And yet, I’m troubled by my progress. As I’ve detailed in my month four and five posts, I’ve experienced a pause in my progress since I changed from the Climara, once a week, patch to the twice a week Dot. I did experiment in mid-February by increasing my dosage by 50%, a period where I felt my breasts resume their fullness. Sadly, when my Estrogen level came back as 275 (US), my physician asked me to return to the normal dosage and retest a few weeks later. That new test came back at 126 (US) and because I’m 68, she’d rather not see my levels in the 150-200 range, which she considers high.  I’m disappointed.

So, my first question is in regards to the Climara patch vs. the Dot. For those of you who have used both, was your progress relatively the same when you compare them, or was one method more effective than the other? I ask because given that my progress seemed on track with the Climara patch, I was surprised when it stopped when I began the Dot.

My second question is regarding growth. By the end of December, I’d achieved just under an “A” cup. Now I realize that many women don’t achieve an A by the end of the first year, but since all the female members of my family have a C cup or better, I’ve been expecting that a B would be in my future.

I’ve experienced no growth in three months and while I’m aware that YMMV and our progress is dependent on many factors, I’m also curious about periods of stasis versus periods of growth. What are your experiences regarding your growth? What is the history of your growth versus no growth?

Two months until my scheduled FFS, although I fully expect a call delaying it until at least October due to COVID-19.

Laura

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 09:48:54 pm »
@Laura1951
Dear Laura:
Thank you for posting and sharing your update... while I understand  your disappointment, it is very true that HRT will work differently for every body... it is up to your genes and physical makeup as to what HRT will accomplish.
Yes, I am glad that you are aware of the saying here on the forums.....  YMMV
   Your Mileage May Vary   

One thing is for sure, body changes with HRT almost never happen quickly.  Patience is definitely required.
What you read about another member's results will most likely not be your own.... you are unique.

I am pleased to read that your doctor has been monitoring your HRT blood levels ....  things can get out of control very quickly so it is best to not experiment with altering dosages.   Higher is not always better, and as your doctor indicated it can be dangerous to your overall health.

In the end, what HRT doesn't do can be mostly corrected with surgeries....  expensive but very helpful.
Surgeries for non-life threatening issues are certainly being delayed at most medical centers.... it is for your own safety... and that is good in my opinion....   with the Covid-19 thing going on I try to stay far away from hospitals and  medical clinics.

I feel your disappointment, and have no words to make feel better or to solve the problems you stated....   I will volunteer one  thing however, from my non-professional medical viewpoint, I don't think that stopping and restarting your HRT regimen is helping your final progress.... slow and steady without interruption in my opinion is the best way to handle this.

I am wishing you well an I am eagerly following your posts to keep updated on your progress.
HUGS and best wishes, stay safe, stay healthy,
Danielle

***SEE MY LINKS BELOW

Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017

Offline Laura1951

• Friend
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 06:58:46 pm »
As anticipated, Kaiser called today to confirm they're delaying my FFS, which had been scheduled for June 16th. They stopped surgeries in March and have not yet decided on a date for restarting, although it sounds like they may begin next month. I fully expect a four-month delay, which puts my FFS sometime in October. At least this will give my HRT more time to affect my face before they do their magic.

And so it goes.

Laura

Offline Laura1951

• Friend
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 05:23:04 pm »
Well, this is another fine mess. I called Dr. Shih's office (norcal) to see if they have begun rescheduling FF surgeries and indeed they have. The bad news is that they're just trying to "work us in", meaning that those with appointments in the mid-june and later time frame, won't have their surgery dates changed. Those of us in the March-June timeline, whose surgeries were postponed due to COVID are apparently just going to have to settle for whatever dates they can find for us... That pretty much means we'll be scattered though the next six months or so, or perhaps later. People previously scheduled to have surgery several months after me will probably have their surgeries before me.

I'm pretty disappointed. OK. Pissed.

Laura

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 06:23:41 pm »
Laura,

Let them know that and keep calling to see if they can move you up into a vacated spot or even bump someone.  Your level of dysphoria does not necessarily diminish over time.  It tends to increase especially when hitting road blocks to a gender confirming surgery.  I had a friend who had her FFS at Kaiser Oakland and she was a pain in the ass to the scheduler and her main contact person and they eventually moved her in front of other people.  She was suffering a lot of pent up dysphoria and need this cure as part of the overall treatment.  Good luck and keep at it.

Allie
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline Laura1951

• Friend
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 06:27:45 pm »
@AllieSF

Thanks Allie. I'm thinking I'll have to nag my way into surgery. It shouldn't have to be this way. Are they too lazy to reschedule all those people who were to come after us?

I plan to call every two weeks until they block my number. LOL

Laura

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 06:36:30 pm »
In my opinion, they should just slide the schedule out for everyone so everyone shares equally in the disruption.  Everyone except maybe a few special cases where mentally and emotionally they can be justified moving in front of others.  The doctors will still be very busy having that backlog.

Allie
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 06:41:13 pm »
@AllieSF

Thanks Allie. I'm thinking I'll have to nag my way into surgery. It shouldn't have to be this way. Are they too lazy to reschedule all those people who were to come after us?

I plan to call every two weeks until they block my number. LOL

Laura
@Laura1951
Dear Laura:
Well.... shucks!!! For sure this is very disappointing for you.   Yes indeed, keep calling, as the old saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.... but be super nice on the phone so that you don't get blocked!!!!

Please continue to keep me and the rest of your followers updated.... I will be anticipating a good news report.
HUGS,
Danielle

***SEE MY LINKS BELOW

Offline Laura1951

• Friend
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 06:41:38 pm »
@AllieSF

Silly me assumed the same, Allie. That everyone's schedule would be pushed back an equal amount so the first person to be cancelled would be the first person rescheduled. It's not working that way though.

Laura

Offline Laura1951

• Friend
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 06:44:06 pm »
Well.... shucks!!! For sure this is very disappointing for you.   Yes indeed, keep calling, as the old saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.... but be super nice on the phone so that you don't get blocked!!!!

Please continue to keep me and the rest of your followers updated.... I will be anticipating a good news report.
HUGS,
Danielle

I always appreciate your encouragement, @Danielle. Thank for for the positive thoughts.

Laura

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 04:25:05 am »
Silly me assumed the same, Allie. That everyone's schedule would be pushed back an equal amount so the first person to be cancelled would be the first person rescheduled. It's not working that way though.

That's absolutely the way it should work. It's not fair. - E
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: "kind of" started 15 Jul 2020
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline Another Nikki

• Friend
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2020, 04:53:47 pm »
i called today and asked to reschedule my september ffs with dr. kleinberger for next april.  so there’s one spot open!
“What you know, you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life—that there is something wrong. You don’t know what it is, but it’s there like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me.”

Offline Laura1951

• Friend
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2020, 01:54:52 pm »
OMG, OMG, OMG!!!

Received a call from Dr. Shih's office offering me an August 18th surgery date, one week from now...I had been thinking my surgery would be postponed four to six months, so this comes as a welcome shock.

More to come.

Laura

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2020, 02:01:14 pm »
OMG, OMG, OMG!!!

Received a call from Dr. Shih's office offering me an August 18th surgery date, one week from now...I had been thinking my surgery would be postponed four to six months, so this comes as a welcome shock.

More to come.

Laura

@Laura1951
Dear Laura:
This is absolutely unexpected and good news with a surgery date scheduled next week on Tuesday August 18th!!!!

Hurry up and get prepared and get ready to go....  I am rooting for your success.
Please continue to keep us all updated as you feel comfortable doing.

HUGS and more HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW

Offline Laura1951

• Friend
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2020, 06:06:57 pm »
Thank you @Danielle,

Kaiser's call this morning came as a complete surprise and now I find myself scurrying about to pull all the parts together: post-surgery meals, care of my cat during surgery, traveling to and from the hospital (which is about 70 minutes away), medical supplies, and a variety of appointments this week. All that in addition to making sure all my chores are done so that my house and yard are clean and ready to be ignored for a few weeks.

All good problems to have. LOL. I've not had time yet to be nervous (or scared), which I probably should be since this is potentially life-changing surgery. People I'm not out to will notice something is different once I return to tennis and real life.

Laura

Offline Another Nikki

• Friend
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2020, 11:44:30 pm »
Congrats and good luck!!!
“What you know, you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life—that there is something wrong. You don’t know what it is, but it’s there like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me.”

Offline Laura1951

• Friend
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2020, 01:28:31 pm »
Thanks @Katie76 and @Another Nikki.

Went into Kaiser for an EKG and got a call to schedule a CT Scan tomorrow. It's all a whirlwind right now as I try to think of everything I need to do beforehand as well as have on hand afterwards.

Laura

Tags: