Author Topic: Salvation Army LGBTQ support  (Read 1758 times)

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
Salvation Army LGBTQ support
« on: October 20, 2019, 12:34:38 pm »
I wasn’t expecting this, but it turns out the Salvation Army runs some programs to assist LGBTQ needs for shelter, substance abuse, food, job training, and teen suicide prevention.

https://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/the-lgbtq-community-and-the-salvation-army/

I don’t know if they do much in terms of requiring anything like adherence to certain doctrinal positions. I have served on their mobile food canteen before and never saw anything like that, so I am doubting it.

If you or anyone you know is in need of assistance, this could be a resource.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Linde

• Full time for some time
Re: Salvation Army LGBTQ support
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 11:31:25 pm »
I wasn’t expecting this, but it turns out the Salvation Army runs some programs to assist LGBTQ needs for shelter, substance abuse, food, job training, and teen suicide prevention.

https://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/the-lgbtq-community-and-the-salvation-army/

I don’t know if they do much in terms of requiring anything like adherence to certain doctrinal positions. I have served on their mobile food canteen before and never saw anything like that, so I am doubting it.

If you or anyone you know is in need of assistance, this could be a resource.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am impressed!  I probably have to check into them to see if I can help as a volunteer!

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 06:26:15 am »
I've always supported the Salvation Army because they filled our tank with heating oil when we needed it. Plus I have much respect for their bell ringers who stand outside in the worst of weather. I usually stick my dollar in the kettle and ask if I can take a turn ringing the bell, which they usually do with a smile. Give it a shot sometime, it's not as easy as you might think.  ;)

PS: I'm aware of their history, but where would we be if we didn't give people, and groups, opportunities to learn and change? Yeah, I'm looking at you, Chick-Fil-A!  :laugh:
Veteran, US Army

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 07:05:09 am »
I've always supported the Salvation Army because they filled our tank with heating oil when we needed it. Plus I have much respect for their bell ringers who stand outside in the worst of weather. I usually stick my dollar in the kettle and ask if I can take a turn ringing the bell, which they usually do with a smile. Give it a shot sometime, it's not as easy as you might think.  ;)

PS: I'm aware of their history, but where would we be if we didn't give people, and groups, opportunities to learn and change? Yeah, I'm looking at you, Chick-Fil-A!  :laugh:

I appreciate your charitable attitude toward the fast food chain (whose name I won't repeat). I would like to hope they can reform.

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 07:12:07 am »

I appreciate your charitable attitude toward the fast food chain (whose name I won't repeat). I would like to hope they can reform.

They better reform quickly, we're going by one of their few UK locations in Scotland in a couple weeks, and plan on gesticulating wildly with our middle fingers, or perhaps ordering some food and just driving off.  :laugh:
Veteran, US Army

Offline Chloe

• Family
  • Classic 'Lauren Bacall'
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 08:28:26 am »
. . . or perhaps ordering some food and just driving off.  :laugh:

I'd report this threatening bad behavior to a moderator but, but, but . . . will just "Eat Mor Chickin" instead (with FREE sandwich cpns that daughter gets as "tips" all the time)!

Sorry but Atlanta IS Coca-Cola, Chic-fil-A dwarf house and Delta Country for sure!
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"

( Current read: 'My Story" by Caroline 'Tula' Cossy )

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 08:38:27 am »
. . . or perhaps ordering some food and just driving off.  :laugh:

I'd report this threatening bad behavior to a moderator but, but, but . . . will just "Eat Mor Chickin" instead (with FREE sandwich cpns that daughter gets as "tips" all the time)!

Sorry but Atlanta IS Coca-Cola, Chic-fil-A dwarf house and Delta Country for sure!

:laugh:
Veteran, US Army

Offline TonyaW

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 09:26:11 am »
I didn't look really hard,  but the most recent thing I found from last year looks they've not really changed their views.

“Please Don’t Support the Salvation Army” by James Finn https://link.medium.com/jWn94ZEmg1

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline Chloe

• Family
  • Classic 'Lauren Bacall'
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 09:52:02 am »
"What Salvation Army thinks about LGBTQ people, in their own words —"
Scripture opposes homosexual practices by direct comment and also by clearly implied disapproval. The Bible treats such practices as self-evidently abnormal. … Attempts to establish or promote such relationships as viable alternatives to heterosexually-based family life do not conform to God’s will for society.
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"

( Current read: 'My Story" by Caroline 'Tula' Cossy )

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 09:55:05 am »
I didn't look really hard,  but the most recent thing I found from last year looks they've not really changed their views.

“Please Don’t Support the Salvation Army” by James Finn https://link.medium.com/jWn94ZEmg1

I didn't do a deep search either, but this is from the Wikipedia page:

"As of April 2018, the Inclusion page on the official UK website states that the Salvation Army stands against homophobia and does not permit discrimination in its employment practices or delivery of care."
Veteran, US Army

Offline TonyaW

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 10:06:36 am »
So they stand against homophobia but still refer to us as abnormal? Not sure how that meshes. Possibly the UK version is better than ths US version.

I'm all for giving them a chance to change but they'll not get my support until they do.

I'll be first in line at the chicken place if they ever become friendly.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 10:08:27 am »
I didn't do a deep search either, but this is from the Wikipedia page:

"As of April 2018, the Inclusion page on the official UK website states that the Salvation Army stands against homophobia and does not permit discrimination in its employment practices or delivery of care."

Salvation Army's policy of inclusion for LGBTQ people is that they offer services specifically for LGBTQ people in need and do  not exude them from evangelistic and humanitarian outreach. It's not a guarantee that every individual member serving within the organization adheres to those values, but the organization itself does.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Offline Haley Conner

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 10:09:27 am »
I tend to be wary of this.  I know the SA has had issues, and I hope they are addressing them, but it will be interesting to see if they actually walk the walk.  Nobody likes bad PR, and this might just be an attempt to stem that.

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 10:20:14 am »
The Salvation Army has gone through many changes over the years, but supporting the LGBTQ community is at least in line with the heart of its founder, William Booth. Booth himself was considered to be a radical activist during the industrial revolution, organizing the community to work for the rights of working class poor and the outcasts of society. Where he himself would have stood on LGBTQ inclusion is hard to say since it wasn't on the social map at that time, but it is likely he would have supported it.

Tags: