Author Topic: Death threats cause retreat on trans rights  (Read 680 times)

Offline HappyMoni

• Smiles for the house, it's on me!
Death threats cause retreat on trans rights
« on: October 20, 2019, 01:30:55 pm »
Saw this sad article.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/georgia-pickens-county-transgender-bathroom-policy_n_5da88a8fe4b034f1d69ed3ad

HuffPost/
By Curtis M. Wong   QUEER VOICES 10/17/2019 05:49 pm ET

What kind of precedent does this set?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 01:39:18 am by stephaniec »
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)
"Moni" is pronounced like "Bonnie"

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS, great repair.

]

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
Re: Death threats cause retreat on trans rights
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 03:00:45 pm »
Not sure, but certainly not a good precedent. My initial reaction is anyone who would threaten to kill school administrators over transgender rights would probably have no qualms killing the transgender students the administrators were hoping to protect. Yikes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TonyaW

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 03:08:20 pm »
I'd thinka little investigation would be able to find the perpetrator(s) of the the threats.  Any chance any of them get prosecuted?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 03:08:57 pm »
I'd thinka little investigation would be able to find the perpetrator(s) of the the threats.  Any chance any of them get prosecuted?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Let’s hope so!

Offline LizK

Death threats cause retreat on trans rights
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 05:00:19 pm »
It would seem that if you make enough death threats and perpetrate some violence then you can get your way. This of course will all be done under the guise of “free speech”. IMHO this is about poor education and a religious doctrine gone mad. In what other situation would this been seen as acceptable and instead of push back we have capitulation.

IMHO Those who have accepted this as a win are very short sighted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 05:28:15 pm »
It would seem that if you make enough death threats and perpetrate some violence then you can get your way. This of course will all be done under the guise of “free speech”. IMHO this is about poor education and a religious doctrine gone mad. In what other situation would this been seen as acceptable and instead of push back we have capitulation.

IMHO Those who have accepted this as a win are very short sighted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately history has proven that threats, intimidation, and violence are effective means for enforcing bigotry.

Offline HappyMoni

• Smiles for the house, it's on me!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 05:59:32 pm »
I would guess it would involve  local or state police. FBI, probably not, the justice department is currently on the other side of the fence on the issue. Not saying they encourage threats but they are not led by someone who gives a <poo>.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)
"Moni" is pronounced like "Bonnie"

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS, great repair.

]

Offline Lisa89125

• Family
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 02:01:35 pm »
Those who fail to stand their ground once words start flying are cowards.

How such chickens get to be in charge is another mystery?

What would happen if they suddenly found themselves in Winston Churchill's shoes during the dark days of WW2? Would they coward and let the Germans much all over Britain?  :o I would hope not.

Not many have a true backbone anymore.  :-\

Lisa
"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 02:13:17 pm »
Those who fail to stand their ground once words start flying are cowards.

How such chickens get to be in charge is another mystery?

What would happen if they suddenly found themselves in Winston Churchill's shoes during the dark days of WW2? Would they coward and let the Germans much all over Britain?  :o I would hope not.

Not many have a true backbone anymore.  :-\

Lisa

I promise not to get all preachy, but this discussion bring to my mind two Bible verses that have served me well:

Proverbs 26:4-5 “4 Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Or you will also be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves, That he not be wise in his own eyes”.

Proverbs 15:1-2 “A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger. The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable, But the mouth of fools spouts folly”.

Let’s encourage each other (all within the LGBTQ community) to be wise in how we stand up for right vs wrong. Let’s pick our battles carefully and fight with peace, love, and equality as our goals. Standing up to raving lunatics who threaten to kill is not a battle for everyone to fight. There are people who specialize in defusing violent people, we should seek those people out and utilize their talents.

Trust me, it takes a strong backbone to play the long game, but it works.

Offline Sephirah

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 02:34:05 pm »
It's hard to not roll my eyes at stuff like this.

People who have time on their hands to make death threats about... well... anything, really need a hobby. And to stop letting stuff get to them so much. Get out of the basement, smell the fresh air, there's a whole world out there. Full of things, and stuff. With real people.

It's all too easy now to throw these kinds of things around. People do it for literally anything that gets their sphincter in a pucker. They know the threat is enough. People threw death threats at gaming journalists for announcing a delay on their favoutite game. It's a little bit pathetic.

The emphasis isn't on the cause these juvenile people are targeting, it's on the miscreants themselves. 99% of these people are as violent as my fluffy kitten slipper. They just like to pretend to be because it makes them look tough. Especially online, where anonymity lets you be as big a... you know... as you like.

Tags: