General Discussions > General discussions

Things that scared you as a kid.

(1/8) > >>

Arctic Kat:
What were you afraid of? Anything ridiculous in hindsight?

With Halloween coming up, I started thinking about something that really disturbed me when I was little.
My family got an educational video game system, the VTech Socrates. It had a robot character that would be "assembled" in the loading screen's animation.
However -- this animation shows the robot with lifeless eyes at the beginning. (I thought it was uncanny valley material.)
Once it's complete, the robot has a big smile on its face and ... rotates its head 360 degrees.
The people at VTech probably thought they made a cute mascot, eager to teach kids basic math and vocabulary.
But dang-it -- the big beady eyes and head turn? To me as a toddler, it might as well have been Linda Blair in the Exorcist.

It took me a while to get used to it. But I still preferred playing the system with the lights turned on.

Dena:
Injection needles probably because I had surgery when I was almost 4. The other was the overacting of the wicked witch of the west in the original Wizard of Oz movie. Something about the overacting in the roll scared the daylights out of me.

Paul Muad-Dib:
Parents let me watch The Thing and Poltergeist when I was about 6.

Bad idea.

sandrauk:
Old Mother Riley

ChrissyRyan:
Spooky stories.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version