Author Topic: Do you like to eat Spam?  (Read 791 times)

Online sarahc

• Sarah
Re: Do you like to eat Spam?
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2020, 08:38:57 pm »
Funny Spam story: as a child, I went on a youth overnight hiking trip (I was probably about 12 years old). We had one day that was a particularly tough one, after which I was completely starved. Dinner that night was spaghetti and Spam in tomato sauce. I was so hungry that evening, I honestly thought Spam was the most delicious thing I had ever eaten.

Fast forward a couple weeks and I was in the supermarket with my mom, and I told her that I really wanted spaghetti and spam. My mom raised an eyebrow (she is a very good cook); she had raised me to appreciate good food. But she humored me and bought a tin of Spam.

That night she cooked up the spam and threw it in some sauce, and I tasted it, and I said, "Yeah, um. this isn't as good as I remember...I like your meat sauce better." My mom smirked.

I have had Spam a couple of other times during my adult life, and it's never been an ingredient that I liked.

My alternative pork product of choice is scrapple (which is bought fresh, not canned). Scrapple is a ground pork loaf that is pan-fried, usually as a breakfast meat like bacon or sausage. It is a local specialty in the Mid-Atlantic states. Like Spam, don't ask what's in it...you don't want to know.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2020, 09:50:24 pm »
@sarahc
Dear Sarah:
Per my previous replies on this thread, I certainly like SPAM, as a breakfast meat and as a sandwich meat....  makes good appetizer too...chunks of SPAM and Cheddar Cheese on a toothpick.

You mentioned Scrapple.  My dad used to make it, it created quite a mess in the pans and the kitchen sink...  not my favorite but everyone is different.  Perhaps the Scrapple that you obtain in your mid-Atlantic stores is better?  ???

Any of these "meats" are of the sort that you don't really want to know what's in it... that includes hot dogs and brats....  oh, and I love Liverwurst Sandwiches with a slice of sweet onion, mayo, on Rye bread.

HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline Jessica

• I love you. No...... I might not know you, but if folk can hate for no good reason, I can love.
Do you like to eat Spam?
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2020, 11:39:41 pm »
Yes, I like green eggs and Spam

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

Online sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2020, 06:39:50 am »
@Northern Star Girl

Hmmm...scrapple shouldn’t be that messy. You slice it and fry it...easy-peasy. It certainly creates creates a lot less grease than bacon. The only problem you can run into frying scrapple is putting it on high heat and trying to flip it too early. Scrapple is kind of like a pancake...the heat needs to be moderate to allow it to brown slowly and if you flip it before it is really cooked and browned underneath, you will have a mess. Consequently, you really need to be patient cooking scrapple...a lot of newcomers try to cook it like bacon or sausage and that isn’t correct.

I grew up on scrapple so I love it, but I’ll admit that my out-of-town friends who have tried it have had mixed opinions on the taste. There are a few brands available in the stores in Maryland, but my favorite is at the butcher at the local Pennsylvania Dutch market.

Sarah

@sarahc
Dear Sarah:
Per my previous replies on this thread, I certainly like SPAM, as a breakfast meat and as a sandwich meat....  makes good appetizer too...chunks of SPAM and Cheddar Cheese on a toothpick.

You mentioned Scrapple.  My dad used to make it, it created quite a mess in the pans and the kitchen sink...  not my favorite but everyone is different.  Perhaps the Scrapple that you obtain in your mid-Atlantic stores is better?  ???

Any of these "meats" are of the sort that you don't really want to know what's in it... that includes hot dogs and brats....  oh, and I love Liverwurst Sandwiches with a slice of sweet onion, mayo, on Rye bread.

HUGS,
Danielle

----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline Haley Conner

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2020, 08:04:04 am »
I love spam in small doses.  It's the sort of thing that I would grow sick of very quickly if I ate it too often though.  I hear it's very popular in Hawaii.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2020, 05:14:25 am »
I may go to the Super and get some Spam today.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2020, 05:44:11 am »
I also like  to eat it SPAM with mustard and brown sugar.

https://www.food.com/recipe/easiest-baked-spam-25459
https://intelligentdomestications.com/2016/06/glazed-baked-spam.html
recipes for a baked version

Marion

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2020, 03:44:02 pm »
When I make a Pasta Salad I will use either SPAM or Smoked Sausage for the meat...
Here is my Pasta Salad with Spam;

***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2020, 03:57:59 pm »
When I make a Pasta Salad I will use either SPAM or Smoked Sausge for the meat...
Here is my Pasta Salad with Spam;

You've foolishly inverted the pasta/spam ratio lol

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

"Life is a travelling to the edge of knowledge, then a leap taken." - D. H. Lawrence

Online Laura1951

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2020, 10:46:03 pm »
I had SPAM Musubi for dinner tonight.
Marinated in a soy and oyster sauce and then fried until carmelization, then served on a bed of rice and wrapped with Nori.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/49785/spam-musubi/
I think it tastes better without adding vinegar to the rice.

Marion

THIS.

Love making Spam Musubi so much I got my own musubi mold. I add a little plum sauce to the marinade.

Laura
One New Life to Live (My personal blog)

Laura's HRT Journal     |     Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2020, 02:50:41 am »
There seems to be a lot of interest in Spam!

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline big kim

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2020, 03:53:35 pm »
Bought 2 tins for £2.75 at Home Bargains today

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2020, 03:56:07 pm »
Bought 2 tins for £2.75 at Home Bargains today

Is that a good price for where you live and what you got?

Chrissy

Offline big kim

« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 01:33:20 am »
Yes saw 1 tin for £2.99 last week!

Offline JudiBlueEyes

• Family
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 06:02:16 pm »
I used to be able to find the small cans which was good enough for a couple sandwiches.  Now I buy the original size.  I'll have to look in other markets.  I'm the only one in my family that eats it.   
Wind blew in, cloud was dispersed
Rainbows appearing, the pressures were burst
Breezes a-singing, now feeling good
The moment had passed like I knew that it should

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 06:18:03 pm »
Gosh!  There are lots of varieties of SPAM!

https://store.spam.com/all-products/varieties

Plus all things SPAM at:  www.spam.com

P.S.  Only YOU can decide if this message is “spam” or not!   :)

Tags: