Author Topic: I believe this is transphobia within the NHS  (Read 976 times)

Offline pamelatransuk

• Finally taking action after decades of suppression
Re: I believe this is transphobia within the NHS
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2020, 11:10:14 am »
Good luck, Sarah, on your NHSGP retrieving and merging pertinent medical details soon. After a 10 week wait, my relevant details were merged accordingly onto the new NHS number

I recall your post, Davina, stating  that unlike Sarah and I, allocation of new NHS number happened quickly for you. Wishing you a Happy Christmas.

Hope to see you both in 2021 if you are ready.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline Pammie

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2020, 12:10:22 pm »
Hello again Pammie

I am pointing this out for the sake of UK Members:

My understanding is that when you inform your NHSGP of your Change of Name, it is customary for NHSGP to ask you to apply for a new NHS number. NHSGP despatches your application to "the centre". Of course as you say, you have the option of refusing application and allocation of a new NHS number and I respect that.
After allocation of new NHS number, NHSGP still retains in another private area access if desired to your previous NHS number and history.
However another office within NHS (eg a hospital) would not have such access/knowledge.
Just like with Sarah, there was a delay with allocation of my new NHS number. I had to wait 10 weeks for "the centre" to action and allocate.

Wishing you a very Happy Christmas. Hope to see you in 2021 after Covid-19 Vaccinations.

Hugs

Pamela xx
Well I didn’t get a new number and I was asked if I wanted a new one or not and I said not as I want the NHS to have my full medical history in one place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2020, 12:26:32 pm »
Well I didn’t get a new number and I was asked if I wanted a new one or not and I said not as I want the NHS to have my full medical history in one place

I kept mine for exactly the same reason. Far less hassle, and the healthcare professionals can best do their job knowing my full medical history. X

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

"Life is a travelling to the edge of knowledge, then a leap taken." - D. H. Lawrence

Offline Pammie

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2020, 01:48:15 pm »
I kept mine for exactly the same reason. Far less hassle, and the healthcare professionals can best do their job knowing my full medical history. X

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk
Exactly so. I feel no need to hide or deny my past or that I am trans when it comes to the NHS

Offline pamelatransuk

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2020, 02:03:09 pm »
Pammie/Megan

So now I discover that this is another one of those things which depends on your NHSGP practice. Sarah and I not given a choice but thankfully you were both given the choice.

I am glad to see new NHS number is NOT mandatory and that you both chose to retain for a very wise reason as your state above.

Best wishes to you both and to Devlyn.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline Pammie

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2020, 02:08:32 pm »
Pammie/Megan

So now I discover that this is another one of those things which depends on your NHSGP practice. Sarah and I not given a choice but thankfully you were both given the choice.

I am glad to see new NHS number is NOT mandatory and that you both chose to retain for a very wise reason as your state above.

Best wishes to you both and to Devlyn.

Hugs

Pamela xx
Thanks Pamela - it is a great shame that there is such an inconsistency xx

Offline SoCal_Holly

• Multi-Pass
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2020, 02:33:50 pm »
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the system. Always tough fighting the system. Hang in there and keep plugging away.

Hugs,

Holly

Offline Angelaney

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2020, 03:42:28 pm »
10 years ago I tried to get a GIC referral from my GP, but I was fobbed off by both him and many of the reception/admin staff for quite a long time, I was told i'd been referred, but this turned out to be untrue, this really put me off, made me feel like I had nowhere to go.
Eventually I spoke to someone who told was sympathetic, she actually called me back (off the record) on her mobile phone and told me to try moving to another GP surgery, she said that my GP was originally from Egypt and had very strong negative feelings about the LGBTQ community.
It had taken all my strength to walk into that place and talk about these issues, and I just couldn't face doing it again, not for many years.

Online SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2020, 05:52:55 am »
And just another update...
A nice lady from the hospital called this morning... She explained once again the hospital computer system was not linked into the NHS one and apologised for all the issues this has caused me..
She then laid out 3 options that I could take with my records.. I could just have the name and gender changed on my regular record... but everyone in the hospital would see my old details too..
I could have a link added to a new record, which would pull up my old stuff.. only accessable to the person actually treating me..  or...
I could just have a new, clean record....

I chose to have the new record with the link... It is important that the doctors treating me know my past history but it also means that when I book in with reception for an appointment, my record just looks normal... as any other 50 year old womans...

So.. I am very happy with that.. and as I said, the lady was lovely, courteous and understanding. The solution offered is the best for me too...
Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline Pammie

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2020, 06:07:15 am »
A nice lady from the hospital called this morning... She explained once again the hospital computer system was not linked into the NHS one and apologised for all the issues this has caused me..
She then laid out 3 options that I could take with my records.. I could just have the name and gender changed on my regular record... but everyone in the hospital would see my old details too..
I could have a link added to a new record, which would pull up my old stuff.. only accessable to the person actually treating me..  or...

I chose to have the new record with the link... It is important that the doctors treating me know my past history but it also means that when I book in with reception for an appointment, my record just looks normal... as any other 50 year old womans...

So.. I am very happy with that.. and as I said, the lady was lovely, courteous and understanding. The solution offered is the best for me too...
Excellent! Im really pleased for you xx

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2020, 06:54:20 am »

Your keyboard is broken, it turned 29 into 50.  :)
Veteran, US Army

Offline pamelatransuk

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2020, 10:23:49 am »

Sarah
I am delighted to see that your very serious issue has now been resolved to your satisfaction and also that you have now been treated with the courtesy and understanding that you deserve and which really should happen in NHS as a matter of course.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2020, 12:46:36 pm »
Hi Sarah,

That is great news about getting that sorted out!

Marion

Online SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2020, 07:07:22 pm »
Thanks everyone...
With the GP (and so the Welsh NHS system) being sorted... and now my English hospital... it does seem as if the things that should of been in place now are... I also realise that our specific medical needs are that of a minority and as such this whole thing with medical records is not an everyday occurrence..  I am glad there are systems in place already for this.. but would of been happier if they had all worked first time. Hopefully the next transgender patient to walk into my GPs surgery will face people more up to speed with the actual procedures...

And thank you Devlyn for your kind words.... And not only is my keyboard faulty, but they made huge mistakes on my driving licence and passport too!!!...  :icon_blink:  Sheez!!
Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline SoCal_Holly

• Multi-Pass
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2020, 12:00:54 pm »
Awesomeness everything worked out !

Happy New Year ! 🎉🍾🥂

Offline Pammie

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2020, 12:15:20 pm »