Author Topic: Laura's HRT Progress  (Read 3551 times)

Online Laura1951

Re: Laura's HRT Progress
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 04:28:00 pm »
While it’s been three continuous months since I restarted HRT, I’m closer to seven months when you consider the different periods I was on HRT beginning in late July, 2018. Still, at three months, I’ve more than doubled the time I’ve continuously been on HRT before quitting in the past. This is either a victory or evidence of the complete denial I feel about the future. LOL. I prefer the former to the latter.

Having not seen my Kaiser trans doctor, nor done bloodwork since last March, I called her office to order labs and schedule an appointment. The results were a bit of a surprise for me. While achieving an E level of around 200 last March, my level declined to 92 pg/ml in December. This despite using the same dosage. However, my T level, which stood at 23 pg/ml last March could not be measured this time and was listed as <20 pg/ml.

During my video appointment with my Kaiser doc, I made a case for increasing my dosage, given that she’d told me that an E level of 200 was appropriate last March, but I was told that my current level of 92 pg/ml was also appropriate since I’m not in my 20s. (I’m 68). I did share that I’m continuing to have problems with my patches peeling off around the four or five day mark, so she’s recommended we move to the Vivelle Dot, which arrives today. Applying patches twice a week, instead of once, will require more maintenance, but if they stay put for the duration, my dosage should be more consistent. Still, I was impressed from data I found online showing how the Dots continue to release an equal amount of E until day six, so there could be a benefit of leaving the patch on for a longer period

Weight
I restarted HRT in early October just as we were entering the Halloween to Christmas holiday season, with all the tempting comfort foods. Starting at 167 pounds, I got down to 162 after a month or so. Yet, that I’m at 162 today, after spoiling myself a bit during Christmas, is a bit of a miracle. Now that the holidays are behind me, I can again focus on slowly melting the pounds off so I can reach the first plateau of weight I’d like to reach, 155 pounds. Small steps that I hope will lead me to 145-150 pounds and a slimmer body that will better fit some of my dresses. An added benefit is that the more weight I lose, the easier it is to run on the tennis court to reach some of my shots. LOL.

Bodily Changes
My breast size seems to be the same as it was at the two month mark. Band size: 38. Bust size: 39. I fairly comfortably fill an A cup, although there is a limited amount of space still to fill. My bodily hair growth has slowed with arm and leg shaving moving to once a week instead of twice. I can’t say my skin feels any softer though. Nor do I see any changes to my facial features, but given that change comes slowly, I could be missing something.

Electrolysis
While I’d completed around 16 hours of electrolysis several years ago, I’ve put off restarting hair removal until my divorce was over so I’d know what funds were available (this time, I’ll be going to Precision in Chicago to speed things up.) My marriage blew up four years ago and Laura came out during the year I spent in therapy. My divorce, which just concluded after a four-year battle, was both stressful and extraordinarily expensive. For what divorce cost me, I could have paid for FFS and GCS and still had enough money left over to buy a nice Tesla. As my funds slowly replenish, I’ll be making regular trips to Chicago for mass hair removal. Thank goodness FFS is covered by Kaiser.

Five months until my FFS.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 05:31:00 pm by Laura1951 »
One New Life to Live (My personal blog)

Laura's HRT Journal     |     Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Online Laura1951

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2020, 12:40:53 pm »
Four Months

At the four month mark, I can’t say that I feel or look any differently than one month ago. Breast growth seems to have stopped and even reversed, and I continue to be just a tad under a 38A. It appears that some fat distribution has begun with my face being just a bit more full but I can’t say that my skin feels softer.

Height and Weight
I’m still 5’ 7 3/4”, the same height as measured last summer. Today’s weight is 160, which is two pounds down from this time last month. Given the Spiro and what I might have eaten the previous day, my weight seems to bounce up and down daily by a pound or two. Now that I’m back to eating salads, weight loss appears to be going in the right direction. 10 more pounds to go.

Change in hormones
A month ago, we changed my HRT to a Vivelle Dot equivalent twice a week because my weekly patches were often not staying put for seven days. However, now that I’ve been on the Dot for a month, I feel that my growth has stopped, and my breast buds have softened to the point where it reminds me of when I went off HRT last summer for a few months. During that time, I could feel my buds slowly dissolving as my breasts got smaller. My nipples are no longer erect as well. I’m not sure whether this is a YMMV issue because I’ve read from others that breast growth comes in spurts. However, the fact that my breast buds are disappearing, and that my breasts are no longer sensitive in the first two days after applying patches is of some concern. Except for the Spiro, it feels as if I’m not on estrogen. I don’t know whether my body needs a higher estrogen level to progress forward, if the Dot delivery method isn’t effective with my body, or if my body has just paused growth. As I’ve evaluated my lack of progress, I contemplated waiting another month before bothering my Kaiser doc, but now I’m thinking I should talk to her about getting blood work done to asses my hormone levels.

Four months until FFS.

Online Laura1951

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2020, 08:01:09 pm »
I'm feeling a bit of anxiety about my lack of progress, or more appropriately the softening of my breast buds the past month since I changed meds. I would appreciate if some of you would read my four month update and provide some input.

thanks,

Laura

Offline Kate.claire

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2020, 08:22:10 pm »
Hi Laura,
Not sure how much help I can be, I will say that my breast buds kind of faded to the surrounding tissue somewhere around the 4th-6th month.  They've never been noticeable buds since that time, hard to say if they are growing, if they are it is sooooo slow.  LOL. I also lowered my injection dosages around that time, so hard to say (my levels were way way over 200, still hard to keep them under).  I don't think it's unreasonable for you to ask your doctor for a blood test a month or so out after changing your prescription.  Might be the only way to get over the anxiety about appropriate E levels. 

My experience says the anxiety over whether your breasts have stopped developing doesn't go away regardless.  :) 

Offline Wendi

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2020, 08:50:25 pm »
Hi Laura, I'd get back with my Dr to let them know your concerns. No one knows your body like you.

Are your breasts the only thing that seems to have taken a step back? Are your emotional changes still the same?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Started HRT 1/3/2019

Online Laura1951

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2020, 09:19:03 pm »
@Wendi

Wendi,

Thank you for responding. The strange thing about HRT, at least for me, is that there's never been any change to my emotional state. I've not felt any highs or lows, nor have I found myself breaking out in tears. It does make me wonder about the effects of HRT on my body, despite the obvious breast growth.

Laura

Online Laura1951

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2020, 09:22:47 pm »
@Kate.Claire

Kate,

Thank you for writing. oh, how I wish my levels were >200 like yours, but my doc is happy with them being under 100. I'd prefer the upper 100s and I'll make a case again to increase the dosage now that my body is responding differently.

yes, I think I'll check in with my doc about getting a new blood test and sharing my concerns.

Laura

Offline AnneK

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2020, 05:51:07 am »
@Wendi

Wendi,

Thank you for responding. The strange thing about HRT, at least for me, is that there's never been any change to my emotional state. I've not felt any highs or lows, nor have I found myself breaking out in tears. It does make me wonder about the effects of HRT on my body, despite the obvious breast growth.

Laura

I've noticed the same.
I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.

Online Laura1951

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2020, 01:16:10 pm »
Five Months.

One month ago, I wrote that I felt that the change to Dot patches was having a negative impact on my development. My breast buds were softening and deflating and my nipples had lost their erectness. Instead of writing my doctor immediately, I continued the dosage until mid-month when I added one of my remaining Climara patches each week, effectively increasing my dose by 50%. During the two weeks on this regiment, I felt my buds reinflating, my nipples began to be erect again, and I felt some sensitivity the day after applying the patches.  From the beginning when using the Dot, which is applied twice a week, for me Monday’s and Thursdays, I’ve kept the patches on for a full seven days, since I’d seen research showing that the Dot patches release estrogen for 6-7 days.

With this data, I wrote my doctor explaining the problems I felt during January and the change in conditions when I increased the dosage. I asked her to order a new Estrogen test so we could determine the best dosage and course of action for the future. She wrote back and while she was surprised at my reaction to the Dot, she suggested we may need to increase my dose and she ordered the blood test.

However, my February 28th test showed that my Estrogen level had changed from 92pg/ml in December, when I was using two Climara patches, to 291 pg/ml now when using two Dots, twice a week, and one Climara, once a week. How my level could triple when just increasing my dosage 50% and why I felt my progress had reversed when using the Dot only was most confusing. Still, I’ve felt no increase in bust size since December.

Once I viewed my results, I pulled off all my patches for a few days and then returned to the twice a week regiment using just two patches. My doctor told me to remove the patches when I apply new ones as well and she ordered a new blood work to see where my levels are. At this time, I’m waiting a few weeks with this new regiment and will do my blood work next week.

My weight loss journey continues to be a struggle, with my weight bouncing between 160 to 162 during the month. This morning’s weekly check revealed I’ve broken the 160 barrier, at 158, so I hope I continue this trend.

Now, if only my boobs would start growing again.

Three months until FFS.

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2020, 01:25:53 pm »
@Laura1951
Dear Laura:
It was nice to see your new update this month.   

The new blood tests will give your doctor and you the information required to adjust your HRT as needed.

Very good news regarding your weight loss... under 160 pounds!!!   Congratulations.

I know for a fact, at least in my experience, with my boobs getting larger and weight loss are not necessarily compatible goals....
...... but do keep that weight off and keep on top of your HRT.... your boob growth will come when it comes!!!

PATIENCE !!!!

Thank you for sharing, I will be eagerly looking for your next updates and posts.
HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Online Laura1951

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2020, 02:48:50 pm »
@Laura1951
It was nice to see your new update this month.   

@Danielle

Thank you Danielle. I continue to be amazed that you're able to devote so much time supporting us here when you're in the middle of a crazy tax season.

I do appreciate your well wishes and look forward to sharing next month. By then I hope to have a pre-op appointment for my FFS.

Laura

Offline Myranda

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2020, 04:16:35 pm »
@Wendi

Wendi,

Laura

I was just commenting about this same thing to my doctor this afternoon. I have been on my HRT regime for over a year straight now and haven't noticed any change in my emotional state, and any temporary changes I could easily and readily attribute to other stimuli.

Online Laura1951

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2020, 08:14:40 pm »
I discovered today that COVID-19 has caused Kaiser to stop all lab work.

After my high E reading in late February, I returned to a two dot, twice a week regiment, and began removing old patches when applying new ones. I decided to wait three weeks before my next blood test to ensure my E level had stabilized, but when I attempted to reserve an appointment for next Thursday the site said that Kaiser is not currently doing labs.

Interesting.

Laura

Offline Maddie

• Family
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2020, 09:35:28 pm »
Similiar boat here Laura.
My Feb levels were high, and have since reduced.  On Friday, my Dr sent orders to my local clinic for a new blood draw.  They are only open a couple days per week, so i was waiting til tomorrow to make an appt for a draw.  I'll find out when I do.  Wouldn't surprise me if their labs are too busy for it.

Offline Kate.claire

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2020, 05:48:10 am »
I discovered today that COVID-19 has caused Kaiser to stop all lab work.

After my high E reading in late February, I returned to a two dot, twice a week regiment, and began removing old patches when applying new ones. I decided to wait three weeks before my next blood test to ensure my E level had stabilized, but when I attempted to reserve an appointment for next Thursday the site said that Kaiser is not currently doing labs.

Interesting.

Laura

Yeah, likely splitting up their lab workers into isolated work groups to decrease the chance of them all getting quarantined or sick at the same time and shutting down all testing, plus they need to make room for the expected test demand for SARS-CoV-2. Tells you where the medical communities mind is on potential size of the outbreak, for any remaining doubters.

Btw, I'd fill any HRT prescriptions that are close to running out in the next month or two, if they are available for refill.  Could be a headache to get a hold of, depending on how things run their course in that time frame. 

Online Laura1951

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2020, 10:15:52 pm »
Seven Months

It’s hard to believe that I’ve reached the seven month mark. Long gone are the fears I felt during the many times I’d started and stopped in the past, and present are my hopes and determination to see this through. While this should be a happy occasion, I’m disappointed by many things.

First, I’ve had no breast growth since December, so the past four months have seen no improvement: no tingling nipples, sore breasts, or itching. My nipples are still upright, especially in the morning and my breasts buds are still firm.  Currently, I’m still a tad under an “A” cup, so I’ve had to wear sports bras while playing tennis, but during the winter months, I was able to wear my women’s clothes but layer them to hide my development. Now that summer is here, it’s back to sports bras and a loose-fitting male shirts when out and about.  Ho hum.

There’s also been no change to the many things others have experienced during HRT; my band size is still 38, my height is still 5’8”, my shoe size is unchanged, and I’ve obsersved no fat distribution to my face or hips. I have noticed some reduction in strength, and while my body hair has slowed its growth, no other noticeable changes have happened.

Now, I know breast growth is YMMV, that it’s partially based on your nearest female relatives, and that growth occurs over a two year period.  I’ve read that it’s normal to go through stops and spurts during HRT. That growth stopped four months ago concerns me, but all I can do is wait and hope. (No, I don’t anticipate getting BA in the future, so what I get is what I get.)

I'd love to hear from others about the stops and spurts in their breast growth.

My weight loss struggle has been hampered by COVID. While I had been slowly but steadily losing weight, being on lockdown, and not being able to play tennis regularly, has reversed my loss and has now become a slight gain. Weight loss is the only factor within my control, so I must do better to get below 160 and to my ultimate goal.

Fortunately, I’m an introvert so I’ve been able to polish off several trilogies, binge watch several Netflix series, and fly every two weeks in my plane.

I’m also waiting and hoping about my FFS. While it was scheduled for June 16th, this COVID-19 situation has postponed surgery to an unknown future, so I’ll be lucky if I get a new October date.

And so it goes.

At least I’m liking wearing earrings in public when I’m in guy mode. BTW, my profile picture is current.

Laura

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2020, 10:36:03 pm »
@Laura1951
Dear Laura:
It is wonderful to see your real life Avatar Photo. 
I have been looking forward to your latest  "HRT Progress update"  ...thank you for sharing.

I am glad that you mentioned the "YMMV" provision... but I can tell that you are frustrated with
the slower than expected results.   Obviously it is desirable to see more and faster results.

I trust that you can get a firm FFS surgery date soon...  this Covid-19 thing has obviously delayed many surgeries.

I hear you about the Covid-19 lockdown and weight gain....   
I had a good friend tell me that just as soon as the lock-down is over she doesn't know which she should sign up for...  AA or Weight Watchers !!!

Again, thank you for sharing your latest update.

HUGS and best wishes,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline Wendi

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2020, 03:57:21 pm »
You look very pretty Laura.

Hopefully you'll be able to get a FFS date soon.

Hugs

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Started HRT 1/3/2019

Online Laura1951

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2020, 07:13:57 pm »

I hear you about the Covid-19 lockdown and weight gain....   
I had a good friend tell me that just as soon as the lock-down is over she doesn't know which she should sign up for...  AA or Weight Watchers !!!
size=12pt]Danielle[/size][/b]
@Danielle

Danielle,

Thank you for taking time to read and respond to my posts. I know how valuable your time is and all the forces contending for it, so thank you.

I laughed at your comment about deciding between AA and Weight Watchers when this is over.

I hope you're well.

Laura

Online Laura1951

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2020, 07:15:31 pm »
@Wendi

Wendi,

You are too kind. Thank you.

Laura