Author Topic: Are you a good cook or chef?  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Sephirah

Re: Are you a good cook or chef?
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 05:46:50 pm »
Are you a good cook or chef?  Perhaps baking is your niche?

I am not a very good cook.  I can cook steaks, and I can make sandwiches and salads, soups, chili, veggies, frozen meals, eggs, toast, rice, stews, and put out fruit and cheese and crackers for friends!  I can follow recipes but I would not be the type to make my own!

I can also stop at the store or restaurant and get meals already put together or cooked.

Sometimes I think that I really should be a really good cook, but that is not an absolutely necessary skill for anyone. 

So, are you a good cook or chef?  What is it that you really like to make?  Cookies?  Anything on the grill?  Or...perhaps you like to make reservations at a restaurant.  :)

Chrissy

No, I am utterly atrocious. I could burn water. I make a few things well, but mainly things I was brought up with as a kid. Sunday roast, bacon sandwiches... I make a nice steak because I don't really need to cook that. If it ain't mooin', I ain't chewin'. But other than that... no... I'm not culinary minded whatsoever. Give me a recipe book and I'd probably ask for a Rosetta Stone.

Honestly I kind of find a lot of food overly complicated. People adding stuff for the sake of adding it. I watch TV chefs and think... why? Spending a small fortune on ingredients you can't even taste and trying to make stuff into a foody work of art... yeah.. that ain't me. I'm a Yorkshire lass. Simple food is good food.

Colleen_definitely

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2019, 08:32:50 am »
Would it be in poor taste to make a joke about the English cooking stereotype?  Or would that show a lack of taste?

<giggles in American>

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2019, 08:37:32 am »
Would it be in poor taste to make a joke about the English cooking stereotype?  Or would that show a lack of taste?

<giggles in American>

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Veteran, US Army

Offline big kim

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2019, 05:00:14 pm »
Nothing wrong with English grub can't beat a spotted dick in your mouth

Colleen_definitely

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2019, 06:05:52 pm »
I'm poking fun at the stereotype suggesting that the brits boil everything until it is mushy and abstain from all seasonings.

Yes I know it's not true, but it is fun to joke about.

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2019, 04:26:22 am »
I'm poking fun at the stereotype suggesting that the brits boil everything until it is mushy and abstain from all seasonings.

My brother in law (UK citizen) and I have joked about transparent British boiled broccoli since we first met last year. Just the other day I made a facebook post about trying Twiglets for the first time, and I said they looked and tasted like burnt chicken bones.

B.I.L.: That's good, right?
Me: Beats boiled vegetables.
B.I.L. Don't be ridiculous.

:laugh:

Nothing wrong with English grub can't beat a spotted dick in your mouth

mmm, mmm...spotted dick.  ;D
Veteran, US Army

Offline Sephirah

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2019, 03:15:41 pm »

It kind of is true, lol. In some places. That's how my mother used to cook. Until I was 16, I thought sprouts were supposed to taste like wallpaper paste. And cabbage could be substituted for Papier-mâché. And pepper was one of those things you just never used. :P There is a very big nugget of truth to that stereotype. It's probably why I don't do well with spicy food. Because I just never grew up with it. Never really had it. The tastiest thing I ever ate was rabbit. And it was only in my mid thirties that I learned it was my pet rabbit, which we had to cook during the miner's strike of the 80s because we had no food, and whom I got told had ran away.

My tastebuds haven't gone through puberty yet, really, lol.

Just the other day I made a facebook post about trying Twiglets for the first time, and I said they looked and tasted like burnt chicken bones.

Twiglets are made with a yeast extract, not dissimilar to Marmite. That stuff is... well... it's polarizing. Personally I think it tastes disgusting.

Offline Haley Conner

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2019, 03:21:13 pm »
I'm good at burning things and ruining cookware.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2019, 05:04:57 am »
I can make very good steaks and chili and stew.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Linde

• Full time for some time
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2019, 10:13:05 am »
My daughter and I did teamwork to make the best pork shoulder roast in the history of mankind.  I can make pretty mean sauces and gravies, and everything was finger licking good!  ;D

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
Are you a good cook or chef?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2020, 07:18:29 pm »
No, I am not a good cook or chef.

But, I am not burning or drying out foods as often.  That in itself is encouraging.   :) :)

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Tags: