Author Topic: Highish levels.  (Read 298 times)

Offline Renee.D

• Kindness and Confidence are infectious!
Highish levels.
« on: November 27, 2019, 07:39:32 pm »
Hey everyone,
I have already asked my doctor about this and she responded with a relatively nonplussed response.

My last blood test showed a few levels that were higher than what "normal" should be. I know that some of these levels can be higher in pregnant women, but I'm Trans, not pregnant!

My E levels were lower than they have been in awhile and my T levels were higher than they have been. When I messaged my doctor about all the results these were the only two levels she seemed concern with and wanted to see if an increase in my HRT would normalize them.

The levels that concerned me are below.
WBC Count 12.5 (Normal Range 3
7 to 10.5)
Platelet Count 433 K/mm3 (Normal range 150 to 400)
Triglycerides 213 (Normal range 0 to 150)

I don't know why my triglycerides would be so high as I have cut out a lot of unhealthy things from my diet and have lost 17 pounds over the past 6 months.

The other to levels that are still within the "Normal Range" but are higher than they have been in the past are:
Creatinine 1.2 mg/dl (Normal Range 0.6 to 1.2)
Calcium 10.4 mg/dl (Normal range 8.5 to 10.5)

I hate WebMD as everything you type in says you are going to die! But when I type elevated... all these levels in it returns back so scary stuff.

My water intake has been much lower than normal and all this levels can be elevated by dehydration.
I go back in for another blood test at the end of December, but if anyone else has experienced something like this some encouragement would be appreciated.

Again my doctor didn't seemed concerned about these levels, but just for my ease of mind.

Thanks,
Lacy
She believed she could so she did!

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
Re: Highish levels.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 08:15:06 am »
Lacey,

Interpreting lab results is a task for someone with professional training in the medical field. I am no expert, but my training as a Pharmacist made me somewhat familiar with lab results.

First off, you need to be well hydrated to be healthy. If you water intake is not what it should be, then this will throw off some of your test results. Your labs are not that far off and I would venture that this is just reflecting your being slightly dehydrated. Drink some water, young lady. You will feel better and your lab results will be more reflective of your general state of health.

Second, your WBC (White Blood Count) is reflective of a possible infection or foreign invader that your body is trying to fight off. Yours is not that bad. It is just a little into the range of concern. It could possibly that you have a low grade infection that your body is doing a good job of fighting without any antibiotics needed. Wait and see if you develop any other symptoms. Be concerned, but do not worry. People with functioning immune systems are always fighting off some sort of infection.

Triglycerides are a bit high, but I have to ask, did you get your blood drawn on an empty stomach? After a meal our triglycerides start to rise and if that meal contained a lot of fat, then it can go very high. Triglycerides are associated with heart disease and other metabolic conditions. The best way to lower triglycerides is to eat a diet heavy in vegetables and low in carbohydrates. Losing weight and regular exercise are of great benefit.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Renee.D

• Kindness and Confidence are infectious!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 06:39:56 pm »
Lacey,

Interpreting lab results is a task for someone with professional training in the medical field. I am no expert, but my training as a Pharmacist made me somewhat familiar with lab results.

First off, you need to be well hydrated to be healthy. If you water intake is not what it should be, then this will throw off some of your test results. Your labs are not that far off and I would venture that this is just reflecting your being slightly dehydrated. Drink some water, young lady. You will feel better and your lab results will be more reflective of your general state of health.

Second, your WBC (White Blood Count) is reflective of a possible infection or foreign invader that your body is trying to fight off. Yours is not that bad. It is just a little into the range of concern. It could possibly that you have a low grade infection that your body is doing a good job of fighting without any antibiotics needed. Wait and see if you develop any other symptoms. Be concerned, but do not worry. People with functioning immune systems are always fighting off some sort of infection.

Triglycerides are a bit high, but I have to ask, did you get your blood drawn on an empty stomach? After a meal our triglycerides start to rise and if that meal contained a lot of fat, then it can go very high. Triglycerides are associated with heart disease and other metabolic conditions. The best way to lower triglycerides is to eat a diet heavy in vegetables and low in carbohydrates. Losing weight and regular exercise are of great benefit.
Rakel,
Thank you for your response! I can appreciate the position of professionals and their skills in reading tests. I also know that there are people like you that pay attention to trends and patterns and could provide more knowledge than I had!

Since my doctor didn't seem to concerned I tried to not freak!

I was drinking close to a gallon of water a day for a long time. A coiple weeks ago things got busy and I stopped drinking! As soon as I saw the results I started the h2o flow again!

I had an ingrown toenail from a poor trimming during a pedicure. It was pretty rough for about a week and definitely was infected. Maybe that was enough of an infection to see my body fighting it.

The test on my triglycerides showed I was fasting. I had not been told they were going to do that test, so I had a hearty lunch! I have to think that was maybe the culprit. I have stuck to my diet better than I have in the past.

I really do appreciate your response(s) you have been very comforting!
I look forward to seeing my results after the test in a few weeks.

Lacy
She believed she could so she did!

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 06:46:55 pm »

I look forward to seeing my results after the test in a few weeks.

Lacy

Let us know how things went with the retest, if you wish.

It is always nice to hear that my sisters are doing well.

Take care.  :-*

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Tags: