Community Conversation > Intersex talk

Not sure if I am intersex

<< < (3/7) > >>

Rachel Montgomery:

--- Quote from: josie76 on December 17, 2019, 03:41:33 pm ---"Studies done on larger patient sets of brain MRI's has repeatedly identified the IFOF region of the brain as being one area that is hard-patterned in the second trimester based on the level of exposure to testosterone. Some studies done prenatally identified base neural patterns that were expanded upon as the person grew. Others found the pattern established in the prenatal period could not be forced to charge later either by puberty or even cross hormone treatment. So anything that interferes with the level or sensitivity to testosterone in a genetic male fetus has a chance of preventing the masculinization of the brain."

--- End quote ---

When I was 32 I had an MRI because I was having migraines.  After the tech did the scan, she left the room.  Being curious, I went around t look at the images which I assumed were my own.  The radiologist came in and saw me looking at the screens and told me I shouldn't look at that, it was another patients medical information.  I told him I was pretty sure it was mine.  He said I can't be because this is a woman.  I asked if you can tell the difference on an MRI and he said 100%, he ALWAYS could tell, and this was definitely a woman.  Just then the tech came back in and I asked her if the images were of me.  She check the screen and the chart and said, "Yes.  That is you."

The doctor didn't blush, he turned white and ran out of the room saying: "You are fine.  No tumors, no lesions, no stroke.  I have heard of this before, I have just never seen it.  you are a man, you are married, you are fine.  It isn't a problem.  It is unusual, that all."

So, yes.  I believe I have typical MTF neurology.  It actually made me feel better, but I would have loved to have a long conversation with him to understand exactly how I was and maybe wasn't more like a woman.

ParkerTalks:
Just popping it say that there's a very strong link between being intersex and being trans.
Being trans means not identifying with your assigned gender. That doesn't preclude being intersex. You def sound intersex to me, but you also sound trans.
good luck.

Rachel Montgomery:

--- Quote from: ParkerTalks on December 18, 2019, 03:29:11 am ---You def sound intersex to me, but you also sound trans.

--- End quote ---
Oh, I am definitely trans.  I suppose I would need a gene test to resolve the question as to which alternative diagnosis is correct (or maybe they are both wrong).

I don't understand why they won't order the tests.  I offered to pay for them myself.  I don't suppose it really matters, unless it would suggest a better way to treat the problem.     

Linde:
I am definitely intersex, and I consider myself being trans.  If one wants to be really technical, I am not trans because I just convert back to the gender that is indicated by my chromosomes.  This would make me cis woman.

But I had to hop over most of the hurdles every trans woman has to take.

BrightWindow:

--- Quote from: Linde on December 18, 2019, 05:22:55 pm ---I am definitely intersex, and I consider myself being trans.  If one wants to be really technical, I am not trans because I just convert back to the gender that is indicated by my chromosomes.  This would make me cis woman.

But I had to hop over most of the hurdles every trans woman has to take.

--- End quote ---

I object to your saying "convert back to the gender...." since transitioning is not changing one's gender but just changing one's life in accordance to it, for example a legal name change. I was always a woman and I am merely changing my life to reflect that. Before 14, my identity did not have a strong impact on my life, for reasons I say in "Why I Came Out At 14" but I always knew I identified as a woman.

I also do no think that chromosomes dictate gender, most transmen have the same genotype as you but I do not consider them men any less because of that. There are some transwomen who have XX but still a completely male phenotype, and get AMAB, I would still consider them transwomen.

It ultimately depends on how we define being transgender, in terms of the sex you were assigned, or the the sex one was truly born as. For most these are the same, but for intersex people they may well not be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version