Author Topic: Question on Legal Gender Change  (Read 361 times)

Offline BeckyCNJ

Question on Legal Gender Change
« on: December 13, 2019, 04:55:30 pm »
In previous posts I noted that my 1950s birth certificate has a very fortunate error. Typed in the "SEX" box is "Female." With that as a legal document I changed the gender marker on my driver's license to F. The typo however only appears on the copy of the birth certificate that is in the hall of records in the city in which I was born. The state version of the certificate, which supersedes the local one, has "MALE."

In my state I can legally amend my official birth certificate simply by filing a form. No proof of surgery is required.

While I have no plans to socially transition, I have found great comfort in the small steps I have been able to take to live my life more authentically. Before I might take such a big legal change I want to ask for your collective thoughts on the wisdom of such a move. Are there complications I should be aware of? One I can think of is my passport which shows male. If I had to change that to female it could present problems when traveling to some countries since I have a male presentation. Other thoughts?

Thank you!   

Becky

Online Jessica

• I love you. No...... I might not know you, but if folk can hate for no good reason, I can love.
Re: Question on Legal Gender Change
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 05:06:15 pm »
That is a very important thing to consider.  If you don’t present the gender that is on the documents, it could cause you grief.

Hugs and smiles, Jess

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

Offline KathyLauren

• Casting off dull certainty
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 05:44:00 pm »
I would not recommend changing your legal gender until you were ready to socially transition.  It will cause problems for you, such as you mentioned with a passport.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly, beginning full-time; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2019-10-18 Phone consultation for GRS; 2020-03-11 GRS!; 2020-09-30 New birth certificate

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• ellie_arroway@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 08:40:39 am »
In the UK, there would have to be a very good reason for me to go through the process of changing my legal gender. As it is, that costs £140, you need to have lived in your new gender role for two years, and a panel decides whether you can do it.

Even though it entitles you to the rights of the gender you're going to, it doesn't really change much.

My passport says M but I have a picture fairly similar to the one above on it; I'm wearing a wig and I have an androgynous look. It also says it's a biometric passport so I may be able to pass through the automated gates the next time I go somewhere... If not, I'm sure it won't be the first time they've seen a transgender person going through passport control.
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: "kind of" started 15 Jul 2020
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline Pammie

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 11:35:24 am »
In the UK, there would have to be a very good reason for me to go through the process of changing my legal gender. As it is, that costs £140, you need to have lived in your new gender role for two years, and a panel decides whether you can do it.

Even though it entitles you to the rights of the gender you're going to, it doesn't really change much.

My passport says M but I have a picture fairly similar to the one above on it; I'm wearing a wig and I have an androgynous look. It also says it's a biometric passport so I may be able to pass through the automated gates the next time I go somewhere... If not, I'm sure it won't be the first time they've seen a transgender person going through passport control.
You do know (assuming you have changed your name already) that you can get a new passport and get F on it too - without a GRC?
Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ellie_Arroway

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 03:49:13 pm »
You do know (assuming you have changed your name already) that you can get a new passport and get F on it too - without a GRC?
Xxx

Yeah. I do now...

Just after I'd applied for it...

It's a letter from a medical professional that will do for that, isn't it?

I have the new passport now in my new name. I'll live with it; I'm not paying another 80 quid just to get the M changed to an F. Ten years down the line might be a different matter.

I guess I could get that for my driving licence though, and that wouldn't cost anything (well, I'd probably update the photo and there would be a cost involved in that). I've already changed the driving licence as well (to my new name).

Offline Pammie

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 03:52:10 pm »
Yeah. I do now...

Just after I'd applied for it...

It's a letter from a medical professional that will do for that, isn't it?

I have the new passport now. I'll live with it; I'm not paying another 80 quid just to get the M changed to an F. Ten years down the line might be a different matter.

I guess I could get that for my driving licence though, and that wouldn't cost anything (well, I'd probably update the photo and there would be a cost involved in that). I've already changed the driving licence as well.
Frustrating isn’t it! I ended up getting a second new passport when I found out because I did a lot of business travel and I needed my passport to match my presentation - transiting through places like Abu Dhabi it was a must!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ellie_Arroway

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 04:17:18 pm »
Frustrating isn’t it! I ended up getting a second new passport when I found out because I did a lot of business travel and I needed my passport to match my presentation - transiting through places like Abu Dhabi it was a must!

I can certainly understand that. I haven't travelled on business for years, and when I have done it, it's only been to Spain twice, or places in the UK (and obviously a passport is not necessary for that; at least, not at the moment. If the UK breaks up, it might be, and I don't know how the Irish situation will be once we leave the EU; I guess there'll be some sort of control for going to Northern Ireland.)

Tags: