Community Conversation > Legal Matters

Preferred name and pronouns at work.

(1/3) > >>

JessicaF84:
Good evening ladies and gentlemen reading this,

So my dilemma is that I work in an all Male environment (firefighter) and have been on HRT for 4 months and have come out over a year and a half ago. I'd say about only 20% of the people I work with (younger people) are respectful and use the name and gender I have requested. My question is and I cannot find it anywhere except for schools, is there a law that requires people to address you how you wish to be addressed? As I become more feminine I don't want to be outed by ignorance of dead naming me infront of taxpayers. Policy wise they are "burying their heads in the sand" because they dont want to acknow the fact I am transgender. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Rakel:
Give it more time.

As you progress and your changes become more noticeable, some people will come around and refer to you as you wish. Right now, it may be a situation of too much, too soon for them to take in all at once. Most people mean well.

Then there are the other people.  >:-) These other people will never accept us as we are. I have no good answer on how to deal with these people.

ChrissyRyan:

--- Quote from: JessicaF84 on December 13, 2019, 10:38:24 pm ---Good evening ladies and gentlemen reading this,

So my dilemma is that I work in an all Male environment (firefighter) and have been on HRT for 4 months and have come out over a year and a half ago. I'd say about only 20% of the people I work with (younger people) are respectful and use the name and gender I have requested. My question is and I cannot find it anywhere except for schools, is there a law that requires people to address you how you wish to be addressed? As I become more feminine I don't want to be outed by ignorance of dead naming me infront of taxpayers. Policy wise they are "burying their heads in the sand" because they dont want to acknow the fact I am transgender. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Rakel on December 14, 2019, 07:11:14 am ---Give it more time.

As you progress and your changes become more noticeable, some people will come around and refer to you as you wish. Right now, it may be a situation of too much, too soon for them to take in all at once. Most people mean well.

Then there are the other people.  >:-) These other people will never accept us as we are. I have no good answer on how to deal with these people.

--- End quote ---

Jessica,

I think that Rakel is right.

In the meantime, I realize that this is hard on you.  Keep on hoping that they will address you by your name and desired pronouns, remind them to do so. 

Some may have known you for so long that it is hard for them to do this and get used to it.  But, with sincere practice, they can. However, they do have to want to do so.

Chrissy

tgchar21:
Regarding your name, 1) Have you legally changed your name or 2) Does the employer allow cis people to go by a name other than their legal one? If either of those is true, and gender identity is protected in that jurisdiction, then what they're doing is probably not allowed (even without trans protection if you have a court-ordered name change they'd be in violation of ignoring a court order).

If the employer requires everyone to go by their legal name (regardless of why they may prefer to use another name) it'd be a bit harder to challenge unless you live somewhere where preferred name rights for trans people are explicitly spelled out (this would be a "disparate impact" challenge).

KathyLauren:
Whether or not there is a law that protects your rights as a trans person depends on what the laws are in your jurisdiction.  In some places, there may be protections at the municipal, state/provincial, and/or national levels.  In other places, there are no protections.  You should research what the legal status is where you live.

Here in Canada, there are legal protections against discrimination at the provincial and national levels.  However, those protections would not necessarily apply to dead-naming or the use of incorrect pronouns.  They apply to things like getting fired for being trans, or getting demoted or paid less, being denied access to public spaces, that kind of thing.

For dead-naming or incorrect pronouns to be considered illegal, you would have to prove that the person said what they said in an effort to promote hatred against trans people.  That is hard to do.

And of course, that applies to the laws where I live.  They are likely different where you live.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version