Community Conversation > Legal Matters

Preferred name and pronouns at work.

<< < (3/3)

Madison02:

--- Quote from: JessicaF84 on December 15, 2019, 12:52:34 am ---100% agree with you, the last thing I want to do is get someone in trouble, just looking for a little bit of respect and decency from them. I have changed my gender marker on my license, the name I am working on the funds for a lawyer. I understand you can do it yourself but it seems like a complicated process to me, especially the newspaper part. I do have a question concerning name change also. So my parents are wondering if they would have to revise all their wills and other documents when I change it or will the decree by the judge saying I went from x to y suffice?

--- End quote ---

The name change process actually isn't as hard as it may seem. I live in California and did all of my own paperwork and filing. I simply had to pay the court fee to do so. One nice thing is that the courts have a free clinic where they will review your docs prior to submittal to make sure they are correct. They will not fill them out for you, but will show you where things may need correcting.

As for the newspaper, again, here in California, it is not a legal requirement to put an announcement in the paper for things like a gender change or name change. Doing so could put some people in physical danger, not to mention it's nobody's business, and thankfully that is not a requirement here.

It may be worth your time to look into just how much of this you can do on your own and what is required to file. It may save you some time and money. All the best to you.

- Madi

*** sorry....just realized that this is a really old post.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version