Author Topic: The transgender flag  (Read 648 times)

Offline KennedDoll

• Friend
The transgender flag
« on: October 21, 2019, 10:50:00 pm »
I am not a fan of a flag, representing transgender people. Flags represent, something like Countries to me. Countries are boundaries carved out by violence. Gang land, essentially.

I much prefer the transgender symbol that isn't associated with people with blind allegiance to an authoritarian body.

I'm not on the transgender "team". I support openness and honesty and freedom from being terrified to speak in case you upset your team.

I won't throw you under the bus, because you spoke to the wrong person, like many of the transgender people I have encountered have done to me.

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
Re: The transgender flag
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 12:36:27 am »
Hi, KennedDoll,
Flags can be so much more than national symbols. In maritime operations flags are used as communication devices (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_maritime_signal_flags). In motorsports they are used to indicate things ranging from dangerous conditions to race status (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_flags). There are many other examples, but I believe this is sufficient to make the point.

The purpose of the transgender flag is communication. It is used to communicate solidarity and/or support with the transgender community, or for a transgender person to simply publicly display their pride in being who they are.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 09:10:48 pm by BlueJaye »

Offline KennedDoll

• Friend
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 01:11:33 am »
Ok. I didn't think I was disparaging anyone. I was expressing my preference for the transgender symbol as an alternative to the flag, for the reasons I  gave.

Oh, I guess you are not seeing "to me".

Maybe, a useful analogy is: A software development group uses sports analogies to represent group dynamics. Someone says, I think sports is a poor analogy for software development, because we cooperate to produce software that is useful to our customer, we are not primarily focused on winning over another groups and declaring people Most valuable player.

So, someone complains, there are many sports that don't involve competition, so it is unfair to disparage those who enjoy sports. This misses the point, and sites something not stated by the person expressing their opinion.

=======

Ah, more things that might be the complaint. "I am not on the transgender 'team'". I mean that I am in the transgender community, where we support each other and allow for differences of opinion. I am not on the not the transgender "team", where everyone follows in lock step to "win" over an opposing group.

Also, "I will not throw you under the bus..." Meaning, I will support you even if you say things I don't agree with you. Unlike, say transgender people on twitter who blocked me because I spoke to a TERF.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 02:24:32 am by KennedDoll »

Offline BlueJaye

• Family
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 07:27:57 am »
Ok. I didn't think I was disparaging anyone. I was expressing my preference for the transgender symbol as an alternative to the flag, for the reasons I  gave.

Oh, I guess you are not seeing "to me".

Maybe, a useful analogy is: A software development group uses sports analogies to represent group dynamics. Someone says, I think sports is a poor analogy for software development, because we cooperate to produce software that is useful to our customer, we are not primarily focused on winning over another groups and declaring people Most valuable player.

So, someone complains, there are many sports that don't involve competition, so it is unfair to disparage those who enjoy sports. This misses the point, and sites something not stated by the person expressing their opinion.

=======

Ah, more things that might be the complaint. "I am not on the transgender 'team'". I mean that I am in the transgender community, where we support each other and allow for differences of opinion. I am not on the not the transgender "team", where everyone follows in lock step to "win" over an opposing group.

Also, "I will not throw you under the bus..." Meaning, I will support you even if you say things I don't agree with you. Unlike, say transgender people on twitter who blocked me because I spoke to a TERF.
Go it ;)

Thanks for clarifying. Written communication  can be tricky.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Offline gennee

• Family
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 06:36:51 pm »
I meet people where they are at. I have friends of all stripes. I like the transgender flag because it shows that we exist. I believe that every person is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that. It's sad that people cut themselves off from others just because they present a different viewpoint.
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 06:38:40 pm »
I meet people where they are at. I have friends of all stripes. I like the transgender flag because it shows that we exist. I believe that every person is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that. It's sad that people cut themselves off just because they present a different viewpoint.

That’s for sure!

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline KennedDoll

• Friend
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 08:40:04 pm »
I meet people where they are at. I have friends of all stripes. I like the transgender flag because it shows that we exist. I believe that every person is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that. It's sad that people cut themselves off from others just because they present a different viewpoint.

That is why I like the transgender symbol ⚧️ rather than the flag. Flags in general represent a team or a country or an army. I want to be part of a community that is inclusive rather than part of a team that is on one side against another side.

That doesn't mean that if someone uses the flag to mean community instead of team, I would reject them.

I will not throw anyone under the bus, like has been done to me. I won't exile you because you spoke to the wrong person, as has been done to me (an exception is people who are intentionally being deceptive, e.g. TERFs and most "gender critical" people I have encountered).

------------------------------------

I probably should have use the subject "the transgender symbol" and approached this the opposite way.

I've never seen the symbol for Mercury be used to mean "screw you, other elements".
I've never seen the symbol for Uranus be used to mean "the best planet".
I've never seen the symbol for Neptune be used to mean "keep out, other planets".
I've never seen the symbol for Saturn be used to mean "make the solar system great again".

I have seen the Mars  and Venus  symbols be used to mean war with the other, but I think the transgender symbol resolves that in favor of community ⚧️.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 03:43:50 am by KennedDoll »

Offline KennedDoll

• Friend
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 10:54:37 am »
If someone says they prefer coca-cola, it doesn't mean that they won't drink pepsi.

Tags: