Author Topic: Why we edit language on the site  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Why we edit language on the site
« on: December 20, 2019, 01:18:38 pm »
The reason why we edit the language used on the site is because this is a family friendly site.

Because I wish I had a nickel for every time someone here said they wished they knew about Susan's when they were younger.

A nickel for everyone who said they knew that something wasn't right when they were a child.

When a young person can't access the site because a content filter on the library or school computer blocks the site due to language, they aren't able to get the information they need. The information that you said you wished you could have had at their age.

If you want to help us help people, especially younger people, you have to understand these rules, and cooperate with us on keeping the site available for all ages.

If we edit your language, it's because of the reasons I've listed above. I'm not going to tolerate anyone telling off the Staff, myself, or the site owner, Susan, about our language policies.

Devlyn

Veteran, US Army

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
Re: Why we edit language on the site
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 01:37:07 pm »
A big thank you to all the site staff for working hard to keep this invaluable resource available for those who often need it so much. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

"Life is a travelling to the edge of knowledge, then a leap taken." - D. H. Lawrence

Offline Julielynn

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 02:02:05 pm »
Yup, I messed it up once already.  I have to watch my mouth a lot.  Sorry!

Pammie

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 03:09:10 pm »
The reason why we edit the language used on the site is because this is a family friendly site.

Because I wish I had a nickel for every time someone here said they wished they knew about Susan's when they were younger.

A nickel for everyone who said they knew that something wasn't right when they were a child.

When a young person can't access the site because a content filter on the library or school computer blocks the site due to language, they aren't able to get the information they need. The information that you said you wished you could have had at their age.

If you want to help us help people, especially younger people, you have to understand these rules, and cooperate with us on keeping the site available for all ages.

If we edit your language, it's because of the reasons I've listed above. I'm not going to tolerate anyone telling off the Staff, myself, or the site owner, Susan, about our language policies.

Devlyn
Quite right too! We should all be capable of moderating what we type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rakel

• rah KEL
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 07:30:52 pm »
In addition to language, we also must monitor illegal actions, especially when talking about any type of medication.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 06:47:55 am »
Editing makes sense when appropriate, for sure.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

I am a brown eyed brunette.

Offline Lady Michelle

• Dreams are the fruit of the womb of my mind!
    • Feme blog
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 06:21:35 am »
I think it's important for a site like this to have certain standards and editing language by moderators is okay when required.

Hugs
Michelle
First outing dressed as a girl in public - 1978
Minor feminization surgery (ears) - 1980
Joined public funded gender clinic as client - July 2016
Voice communication clinic - June 2017
Commenced hormone therapy - August - 2017
Bilateral ochiectomy - August 2018
Legal name changed - 2019
Birth certificate sex updated - 2020
Feminization laryngoplasty - May 2021
Laryngeal shave - May 2021
GRS (labiaplasty) was scheduled for August 2022. I decided not to proceed.

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 03:51:41 am »
Megan and I were at a local support group the other night. We don't go to get support, we go to offer it.  :)

There was a woman there who has a nine year old son, and was looking for advice on how to help him. I pointed out our Youth area, and how the board description points out that it was heavily moderated. I told her that the whole site was kept family friendly, and that sexual discussions were moved into a restricted area.

I'm well aware that most nine year olds aren't going to be using the site, but I'm going to do everything in my ability to make sure that they and their families CAN use the site. I want that little boy to live as much of his life as himself that he can.
Veteran, US Army

Offline big kim

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 10:46:52 am »
I can confirm language is edited!

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 10:56:55 am »
I can confirm language is edited!

:laugh:  ;D
Veteran, US Army

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 02:57:19 pm »
I'd like to remind everyone of our language policy:

11. Foul or obscene language, and/or subjects belongs on the street, Please do not bring it on to my site.

This includes cloaked profanity, or using symbols to hide the words you shouldn't be using here. This is an all ages site, you've probably noticed that there is no "You must be 18 to use this site" button when you come to the forums.

Some of you have been getting fast and loose with the language lately, and we have to ask you to stop.
Veteran, US Army

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 03:37:36 pm »
In addition to the policy that @Devlyn mentioned,
we also do not want vulgar terms and words
being used for describing body parts. 
    ***Use clinical terms only*** 

Any questions please ask.
Danielle   northernstargirl@susans.org
`````````````````````````````````````````````````
I'd like to remind everyone of our language policy:

11. Foul or obscene language, and/or subjects belongs on the street, Please do not bring it on to my site.

This includes cloaked profanity, or using symbols to hide the words you shouldn't be using here. This is an all ages site, you've probably noticed that there is no "You must be 18 to use this site" button when you come to the forums.

Some of you have been getting fast and loose with the language lately, and we have to ask you to stop.
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 42

Offline Rakel

• rah KEL
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2022, 07:38:03 pm »
In addition to the policy that @Devlyn mentioned,
we also do not want vulgar terms and words
being used for describing body parts. 
    ***Use clinical terms only*** 

Any questions please ask.
Danielle   northernstargirl@susans.org
`````````````````````````````````````````````````

I want to second that offer to ask any administrator or moderator if you have a question. We can be reached by PM or by email if you have less than 15 posts. My email is Rakel@susans.org. To reach the other staff members, their email is listed on their profile page.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Tags: