Author Topic: MTF timeline for Hormone Replacement Therapy  (Read 2252 times)

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
MTF timeline for Hormone Replacement Therapy
« on: January 14, 2020, 08:08:28 pm »
HRT potential outcomes and possible MTF timelines......

I see many posts from members on the forums asking about (and sometimes concerned)...
Here is my treatise regarding my own personal experiences as I started HRT on March 2015.... obviously it should be understood that every one, every body may not have the same results as I summarized here.

I am sharing with you my personal experiences of HRT and some of the timelines you "might" expect for yourself as you continue on in your journey.

As has been stated over and over here on the Forums in many posts and many of my past comments on various posts, HRT will work uniquely in your own unique body.
What you read about other transitioning members experiences with HRT most likely will not be identical to your own experiences.

Some will experience more dramatic changes more quickly and then some will experience less significant changes more slowly....   it is all up to your genes and how your body reacts to your own doctor managed HRT regimine.
Your doctor will  undoubtedly be continuing to look at your frequent blood test results during your journey to determine if any alterations to the medically prescribed HRT regimen are needed.

The adage that you have probably already heard here on the Forum's various threads regarding HRT and how it may work for various individuals is:
....."YMMV"  meaning that Your Mileage May Vary.

PATIENCE is definitely required.... usually not much happens very quickly with HRT... but changes will happen.  Here on the Forums you might want to do some reading of other transitioners posts and look at many of the posted HRT timelines and the before and after pictures. ....  they can give you a rough idea of what you MIGHT expect in your HRT as time goes on.

Many times the very first noticeable changes can be felt and seen within the first 3 weeks to a couple months... nipple and breast tenderness, erect nipples a lot of the time, breast bud lumps forming under the nipples and some pain when bumping your nipples.  Also as time goes on more significant breast growth may continue and there may be changes in body hair growth, also your own body and urine smell, changes in erections becoming less intense, less libido, etc.

Without a doubt this can be very "EXCITING and SCARY all at the same time."   One needs to hang on for an amazing ride.  Some of my own best and most appreciated and dramatic body changes happened for me at about the  4 to 6 month point through the start of year #2 of my HRT journey. 

Regarding tracking your body measurements, it would be a good idea if you established a reference point  allowing you to judge your body changes as HRT does it's magic.   
For me, I did not gain a whole lot in my hips but my breast growth was very good and after 2 years of HRT my breasts were a full C-cup.   
Many will achieve an A or a B cup and some transitioners may possibly achieve a C-cup or even a D-cup or more.

Even though I was able to very successfully pass before I went full-time... when I did go full-time at the 1 1/2 year mark in December 2016 I had been passing 100% of the time.  Of course that is just my unique experience, I suppose I can thank my body makeup and my genes for all that.

We are here to rejoice with you in the good times and to support you in the not so good times.
One more time.... PATIENCE is required.   The attitude of many people these days is "I want it all and I want it now" ... that will not apply to HRT

You might want to re-read what I just wrote so you can get a good grasp of the details that I mentioned.

Regarding your own future progress... things will happen with HRT, but in their own time and in their own ways in your unique body.

I will be looking forward to your updates as you feel free to post them.  Please hang in there!
Hugs and well wishes
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline Jaymilynn

• Friend
Re: MTF timeline for Hormone Replacement Therapy
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 10:38:47 pm »
Thank you so much for sharing. I had my first appointment with my GP today since coming out. I have my first appointment with my therapist the 5th of February. My GP is getting me a consultation appointment with the endocrinologist hopefully soon so we can discuss options. This is extremely exciting for me. I feel like my journey to complete womanhood is getting ready to start. I plan to post an HRT progress post after I’m started. These last 2 weeks have been a whirlwind.
Do the thing you fear the most and the death of fear is certain

Offline Allie Jayne

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 05:50:22 am »
Danielle, our timelines vary depending on so many things, but one of the big ones is where we start from. Someone who is really big and tall may never see relative changes as they would need proportionately large breasts to be even noticed.  I started out very broad and muscled, and weight loss has made as much difference in my first year on HRT as the hormones did. I also had a slight head start having hypogonadism for decades before transition, meaning I have light body hair and a full head of hair. Age does play a part, I was 65 when I started HRT, so smooth skin will never replace my age wrinkles and skin spots.

If you are happy to, can you describe your starting point?

Hugs,

Allie

Offline Wendi

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 10:40:12 am »
Great post Danielle, I myself was wondering what my timeline would be when I started HRT.

This will be good for newcomer's as a reference.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Started HRT 1/3/2019

Offline Pammie

• Up
MTF timeline for Hormone Replacement Therapy
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 12:11:33 pm »
Thank you so much for sharing. I had my first appointment with my GP today since coming out. I have my first appointment with my therapist the 5th of February. My GP is getting me a consultation appointment with the endocrinologist hopefully soon so we can discuss options. This is extremely exciting for me. I feel like my journey to complete womanhood is getting ready to start. I plan to post an HRT progress post after I’m started. These last 2 weeks have been a whirlwind.
OMG I can imagine how exciting this is! Wonderful ! Xx

I opened the door and the light shone in

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 12:41:37 pm »

Jennifer Lynn,

I hope that your journey goes smoothly and will be exciting!

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Sophiaprincess2019

• www.tickerfactory.com
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 07:02:03 pm »
I feel this a perfect thread to post my experience with HRT and what happened to me personally. HRT came into my life on 2-22-2019 and decided to rocket-ship me to womanhood in the blink of an eye. I was not prepared for being a woman overnight. I know a lot of women want their changes to happen fast and I used to think the same thing until one day I lost the ability to present male; that threw me for a loop.

In the past I always had the ability to switch back to male mode when things got too intense, but, once that was gone I felt like a baby, helpless and alone with no way to control my presentation. It was either present female or don't go outside, there was no other option and still isn't. Some days I feel like screaming "waaaiiitttt...let me got off the E train" but there is no door. I'm forced to be the woman I'm supposed to.....end of story.

I wish this process took LONGER actually. There was no combination of HRT or vitamins that made me go from an almost dead man to my current state (see avatar) it was a natural occurrence. Women ask me all the time "What's your secret?" ...I tell them the same: There is none, it's genetics and what God intended.

So the moral of this HRT story is: Be careful wishing for immediate results because once it happens you had better be ready.

Wishing everyone all the success on their journeys.

Much love,

Sophia
1968 Assigned male at birth with feminine mannerisms
1978 Dolls and dresses
1988 Experimental stage, limited makeup and clothes
1998 Denial continues, unsuccessfully tried living as a man
12-8-2018 time for a change....
2-21-2019 Started HRT
2-21-2020 One year HRT
2-21-2021 Two years HRT

Offline AnneK

I'm a 67 year old AMAB who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.

Offline TS5arah_xx

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 12:25:56 pm »

Regarding tracking your body measurements, it would be a good idea if you established a reference point  allowing you to judge your body changes as HRT does it's magic.

Great idea! i am thinking of doing a day by day time lapse when i officialy start (hopefully in January!) - but measurements are already prominent in my mind due to the never ending clothing requirements i have !

Offline Misato

• I thought I was out, but I've been pulled back in.
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 02:09:01 pm »
I was just thinking how I don't really remember developing my breasts. I remember the tingle feeling of blood vessels opening up. I was still using the male locker room when I went to the gym for a while, and I remember starting to go into the bathroom stalls to change my shirt. I have no idea if the need to do so was in my head or not. Anyway, back then I'd of thought I'd remember the day I stopped stuffing my bra but I don't.

I know it took more than two years for them to mature. The end of January will mark 8 years since I started a transitioning dose of HRT, and the size of my breasts along with my areolas grew for a long time after my endo stopped measuring me. Now they're just there, and I love that they're mine cause I feel more natural in my body. The decades of delay in their development doesn't even register as real anymore to my mind.

Offline TS5arah_xx

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 02:42:41 pm »
I'm not going to lie I have been taking herbal supplements. And I think I am one of the fortunate ones who see results. I have taken a baseline measurement today so we shall see what happens. I honestly stuff my bras less and less. Its like I have a subconscious need to be as authentic as possible these days and it's a good feeling!

I'm not fussed with how long it will take, only that it happens. And it will happen one way or another 🤔

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 02:45:54 pm »
I'm not going to lie I have been taking herbal supplements. And I think I am one of the fortunate ones who see results. I have taken a baseline measurement today so we shall see what happens. I honestly stuff my bras less and less. Its like I have a subconscious need to be as authentic as possible these days and it's a good feeling!

I'm not fussed with how long it will take, only that it happens. And it will happen one way or another 🤔

Well they can work.  @Devlyn here had very nice results.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Pammie

• Up
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 03:03:46 pm »

I'm not fussed with how long it will take, only that it happens. And it will happen one way or another
Have you sought more official HRT as opposed to self medicating? At least you would be well advised to get regular blood tests to check hormone levels I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 03:38:32 pm »
See my HRT thread here:

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html

No changes of note since my last post...maybe a bit more breast growth, but I've gained 6-7 pounds since the beginning of the year.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline Pammie

• Up
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 03:44:27 pm »
See my HRT thread here:

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html

No changes of note since my last post...maybe a bit more breast growth, but I've gained 6-7 pounds since the beginning of the year.

Sarah
Oh right, I was confused by the post about herbal supplements -  sorry!

Offline TS5arah_xx

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2020, 12:50:12 am »
Have you sought more official HRT as opposed to self medicating? At least you would be well advised to get regular blood tests to check hormone levels I believe

Short answer is yes. I am waiting for my appointment with the gender clinic. I intend to inform my GP about the herbal suppliments. If regular blood testing is deemed nessecary for herbals i will go for it. Most of the medical/scientific information i have looked at say that phytoestrogens dont have much effect if any - but as i have said i am noticing some differences so its definately worth getting some medical oversight

Offline Pammie

• Up
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2020, 03:23:46 am »
Short answer is yes. I am waiting for my appointment with the gender clinic. I intend to inform my GP about the herbal suppliments. If regular blood testing is deemed nessecary for herbals i will go for it. Most of the medical/scientific information i have looked at say that phytoestrogens dont have much effect if any - but as i have said i am noticing some differences so its definately worth getting some medical oversight
That’s good! It’s just really important we do at least get regular blood tests

Tags: