Author Topic: Tomorrow's my first session!  (Read 583 times)

Offline LexaBlackbird

Tomorrow's my first session!
« on: January 14, 2020, 09:52:58 pm »
I made the appointment in November, a few weeks after I had finally accepted who I am and came out to my best friend. I've since come out to my small circle of closest friends, but decided I'd wait until after this appointment before coming out to anyone else. I also decided I wouldn't make a decision on whether or not to transition until the first session or perhaps even several, I just don't know yet.

It's exciting and scary at the same time. I have a close friend who is a trans man who decided not to transition long ago, so I know that could be an option. But I'm really leaning towards going for it. And not looking forward to the difficulties!

Kaiser's Gender Pathways clinic sounds like it's really good. And my first appointment isn't with one of the staff physicians or NPs or PAs, but with the head physician of the program.

Ai me, I want to go as fast as I can (because of my late start, at 55) and I also want to take it slow and careful. Definitely going to involve some balancing of those priorities!

Offline AnneK

Re: Tomorrow's my first session!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 09:57:47 pm »
Ai me, I want to go as fast as I can (because of my late start, at 55) and I also want to take it slow and careful. Definitely going to involve some balancing of those priorities!

You'll just have to hurry up and wait!   ;)
I'm a 67 year old AMAB who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 10:23:03 pm »
@Heda
Dear Heda:
This is certainly great news for you.
I want to go as fast as I can (because of my late start, at 55) and I also want to take it slow and careful.
A delicate balance for sure....  I am wishing you success.

HUGS,
Danielle

***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline MikaelaA

• The day I can be myself is the best day of my life
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 11:17:11 am »
Hi Heda,

Congratulations!!!  I know exactly what you are going through.  I started just 4 months ago at 57.  It's very exciting for sure but transition stuff seems to take up all my time these days.  Good luck with your first appointment.  I hope you have a wonderful journey.

~~Michelle
Finally discovered the real ME: September 5, 2019
Started HRT: September 20, 2019
Out to my wife: October 25, 2019
Out to my closest friends and family: February 9, 2020
Out at work: July 31, 2020
Legal name change: September 29, 2020

Offline Jessica_Rose

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 11:25:37 am »
I hope your appointment goes well! Therapists can help guide you from time to time, but you are the only one who knows which path is the right one to take. An old Chinese proverb states 'The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.' I started this journey rather late in life as well (54), and it turned out to be the best decision I ever made. I wish you all the best.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA with Dr. Ley on 21 Feb 2019
GCS II and FFS - GCS II and FFS with Dr. Ley on 26 July 2019
FFS II - FFS II with Dr. Ley on 13 Oct 2020
23Mar2017 Started Estradiol / 16Feb2018 Full Time! / 21Feb2019 GCS / 26July2019 GCS II & FFS

Don't let others tell you who you are. Be yourself, the world will adjust.

Offline LexaBlackbird

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 09:40:34 pm »
Thanks all, the appointment was great!

Not at all what I expected, though. When a dear friend of mine started transitioning over ten years ago, there were a lot of hurdles to jump through before they would even start HRT. Like a year (maybe 2? I forget) of counseling.

At my appointment, the doc simply trusted I knew my own health needs, and said as soon as the labs came back OK, I could schedule a phone follow-up to get my HRT started whenever I was ready!!!

Labs did come back OK. So now I'm on the shore of the estrogen sea, timid yet ready to dive in. Every hesitant thought I've had is significantly outweighed by the thoughts saying it's time, so I'm going to go ahead and schedule it!

Brief rant, it's going to be quite a bother dealing with work when the time comes - not because they aren't supportive (the company is, very much so) but my own comfort levels and the notion of suddenly becoming weird to my coworkers. Age, however, has confirmed for me that whatever others think of me, they are far, far more concerned with their own lives than with mine.

Tower has given me clearance for take-off, runway 23. Taxiing into position and ready. Godspeed to me and to anyone else out there in similar circumstances!

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 03:40:30 am »

Not at all what I expected, though. When a dear friend of mine started transitioning over ten years ago, there were a lot of hurdles to jump through before they would even start HRT. Like a year (maybe 2? I forget) of counseling.

At my appointment, the doc simply trusted I knew my own health needs, and said as soon as the labs came back OK, I could schedule a phone follow-up to get my HRT started whenever I was ready!!!

Labs did come back OK. So now I'm on the shore of the estrogen sea, timid yet ready to dive in. Every hesitant thought I've had is significantly outweighed by the thoughts saying it's time, so I'm going to go ahead and schedule it!

Brief rant, it's going to be quite a bother dealing with work when the time comes - not because they aren't supportive (the company is, very much so) but my own comfort levels and the notion of suddenly becoming weird to my coworkers. Age, however, has confirmed for me that whatever others think of me, they are far, far more concerned with their own lives than with mine.

Tower has given me clearance for take-off, runway 23. Taxiing into position and ready. Godspeed to me and to anyone else out there in similar circumstances!

Enjoy the journey.  I hope the turbulence on your flight, if any, will be easy to deal with.  :)

Chrissy

Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Jaymilynn

• Friend
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 07:14:55 am »

I wish you the very best on your journey. My first therapy appointment is tomorrow at 8:30. I’m hoping they give me the go ahead to start HRT. I’ve came out in pretty much every aspen this of my life and it’s been great so far. Work was good. Friends and family were good. I haven’t told my best friend yet though. I honestly believe he won’t support me and that scares me more than anyone else to be honest. He is family, my brother. I’ll tell him soon. Just not sure when.
Do the thing you fear the most and the death of fear is certain

Offline LexaBlackbird

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 11:50:21 pm »
Thanks @Jaymilynn , and best of luck my dear

Offline Julie H

• Family
  • Formerly known as White Rabbit
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 11:56:56 pm »
Just be honest and good luck
Julie

Offline Maddie

• Family
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 12:07:53 am »
<<<We are taking flight, Lady Blackbird>>>

Beautiful hair, sister  ;)

Offline LexaBlackbird

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 09:32:04 pm »
<<<We are taking flight, Lady Blackbird>>>

Beautiful hair, sister  ;)

Thanks so much! I do wish I had a little more up top, but I what I do have, I love. :-)

Tags: