Author Topic: New Robotic MTF SRS Technique by Dr. Geolani Dy?  (Read 1027 times)

Offline vivisawesome22

• Visitor
New Robotic MTF SRS Technique by Dr. Geolani Dy?
« on: January 14, 2020, 11:28:30 pm »
Dr. Geolani Dy is the new GRS Surgeon at OHSU in Portland Oregon. She previous worked at the University of Washington and New York University. She has helped pioneer a new method for Vaginaplasty called " Robotic Laparoscopic Pull-Through.

Has anyone heard of actual results from her work, or of this new method?
            <Link not allowed>

Info about her work on the procedure:
            <Link not allowed>

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 12:53:00 am by Northern Star Girl »

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: New Robotic MTF SRS Technique by Dr. Geolani Dy?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 12:45:56 am »
@vivisawesome22
Dear vivisawesome
    Thank you for coming to the Forums.
    I am most pleased that you had decided to join the Susan's Place site.

Know that I am not trying to sidetrack your questions and thoughts.... but please allow me to officially welcome you here and then other members here can address your questions and concerns that you expressed.
    Thank you for writing your first posting.... as you get more involved in exchanging comments on various posts other members will be offering their thoughts and comments in response to any of your future questions and concerns..

This is the right place for you to be to find out what others may have to say regarding their own experieinces.
    There are a lot of members here that will be able to identify with your situation as you continue to feel free to share it.

I also want to warmly WELCOME you to Susan's Place
You will find this a safe and friendly place to share with others and to read about others similar trials, tribulations, and successes.

As you are certainly aware you can share with others and involve yourself with some give and take with other like-minded members.  When frustrated or if you have successes you can share it here if you wish and receive support from others and offer support to others. ....
     ***It's a very good chance that you might find that you will make some new friends here. 

Please come in and continue to be involved at your own pace.

There is information and important LINKS that I have included below.   You will find information about the site that will help you navigate around and best utilize the features here.   
Please look closely at the LINKS in RED, answers are there to many questions that new members ask.

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place.
Danielle

Here are some links to the site rules and stuff that all new members should be familiar with:

Things that you should read
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 12:46:29 am »
@vivisawesome22
Dear vivisawesome:

If you wish, please feel free to stop by the Introductions Forum to briefly tell more members about yourself!

Wishing you well as you get more involved in the forums and meet more members here.

Danielle

NOTE:  Now that all of this necessary greeting stuff is over, I will hand your thread back to you and those that may want to respond to your original posting.
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline Jessica

• I love you. No...... I might not know you, but if folk can hate for no good reason, I can love.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 12:06:01 pm »
Hi Vivisawesome 🌸  i have not heard of Dr. Giolani Dy, but laparoscopic pull-through method sounds very promising.

I see that the lovely Northern*Star Girl has greeted you with her charm and grace.  She also provided some very helpful links to information that will help you achieve the best experience at Susan’s Place.  Please give them a look see....

Hugs and smiles, Jessica

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

Offline Jane.Shannon

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 05:44:48 pm »
I send an email to OSHU.  They confirmed that Dr. Dy was joining the team, and that she is trained in the PPV at NYU.  They said she and Dr. Dugi were still working out how things were going to work with her coming on board.
June 2021: Orchiectomy
July 2020: Full Time
Aug 2019: Started HRT
Dec 2019: Hair Feminization Surgery

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 07:56:38 pm »
About a month ago, a friend of mine had PPV with Dr Bluebond-Langer in NYC. She was working with team members using the robotic procedure during the surgery.

My friend is doing well, but she is still in recovery and it is too soon to make any recommendations about her surgery.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Sophiaprincess2019

• www.tickerfactory.com
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 08:12:19 pm »
When I had my SRS consultation at University of Denver Medical Center, my Surgeon Dr. Kaoutzanis trained at Mt Sinai Medical Center, New York with Dr Jess Ting another robotic SRS pioneer! I recently found out Dr Marci Bowers sometimes lends her expertise at UC Health Denver. I think we are all going to be in very good hands in the near future!

Sophia
1968 Assigned male at birth with feminine mannerisms
1978 Dolls and dresses
1988 Experimental stage, limited makeup and clothes
1998 Denial continues, unsuccessfully tried living as a man
12-8-2018 time for a change....
2-21-2019 Started HRT
2-21-2020 One year HRT
2-21-2021 Two years HRT

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 09:15:18 pm »
As someone else mentioned, Bluebond-Langner now uses the robot for almost all her vaginoplasties, so given that Dy trained under Bluebond, it’s not surprising that Dy has adopted the technique.

I actually had my consult with Bluebond last week, and she and her urology partner are now very confident that the robot reduces risks in the surgery and enables them to do things that can’t be done using manual methods.

So net-net, Dy is inexperienced, but she is definitely using a valid, cutting-edge technique, and she trained under a leading practitioner in the field. She also has strong educational credentials. Those are all positives in Dy’s favor.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline josie76

• Family
  • Something beautiful emerges from a dark pool
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 09:12:47 am »
I don't know of that doctor in particular but its great to see the concept is expanding to so many doctor's practices so quickly.
I had PPV done at IU Health with Dr. Gallagher (GCS surgeon) and Dr. Koch (urologist) last September. The urology dept there does all of their surgeries with robotic laproscopic assist. Having a urologist who works in the peritoneal cavity commonly is a great asset to any gender program and honestly a great reassurance to me personally when I had it done. It was quite a relief when I first saw Dr. Koch that he thought the procedure seemed simple enough and that his working in that area was so commonplace that he had 3 prostate removals scheduled the very next day. All done laproscopically.

Afterwards both Dr. Gallagher and Dr. Koch mentioned how simple the PPV technic really is and wondered why it has not been commonplace for years. They did 3 patients last fall and are publishing a peer reviewed medical paper on the technic. Dr. Gallagher is leaving IU Health and going into private practice in FL but she said the Urology Department at IU Health intends to continue doing the procedure as soon as a replacement GCS plastic surgeon is trained. Dr. Gallagher also intends to continue the procedure with one of the local Miami hospitals doing the urology portion.

I would make certain when you speak with a surgeon that they are actually doing a PPV. In other words that they are actually making the vaginal canal from the peritoneum. Other doctors at NYU have done penial inversion with the end of the penial skin capped with the peritoneal lining. This is not PPV. While this may provide improved self supplied moisture, it still involves skin used as the lining and has greater chances of graft seems causing granulation and other healing issues.
Its my understanding that Dr. Bluebond-Langner and the doctor who has been working with her has done actual PPV as corrective procedures. I would think anyone who trained with her will be doing a true PPV also then.
04/26/2018 bi-lateral orchiectomy
09/11/2019 PPV at IU Health (DaVinci robot laparoscopic Davydov with modified Chonburi Flap) w/ Dr. Gallagher, Dr. Koch, Dr. Roth assisting urology
03/02/2020 revision labiaplasty at IU Health w/ Dr. Gallagher

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence.
I for one want to live now, not just exist!

Offline josie76

• Family
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 09:25:08 am »
When I had my SRS consultation at University of Denver Medical Center, my Surgeon Dr. Kaoutzanis trained at Mt Sinai Medical Center, New York with Dr Jess Ting another robotic SRS pioneer! I recently found out Dr Marci Bowers sometimes lends her expertise at UC Health Denver. I think we are all going to be in very good hands in the near future!

Sophia

So far Dr. Ting has never done a PPV surgery. He developed a different technic completely. His involves a regular penial inversion. Then he uses a piece of peritoneal tissue that he removes from the scrotum and lines the skin used to form the vaginal canal. So this places peritoneal tissue there as the lining but this tissue has been removed and reconnected to the body. There is risk that blood vessels may not reconnect properly from the skin layer and if they don't then some of the peritoneal lining tissue may die and create longer healing with granulation.

When the testes drop through the abdominal wall, they drop in a lining of peritoneal tissue. This stays around the testes when they push through the abdominal wall. This is why Dr. Ting can remove some peritoneal tissue from the scrotal area.

The articles about his method state he was inspired by Dr. Mahtre's work with the Davydov laproscopic pull through peritoneal vaginoplasty studies on MRKH girls. However Dr. Ting did not use the Davydov method at all. 
09/11/2019 PPV at IU Health (DaVinci robot laparoscopic Davydov with modified Chonburi Flap) w/ Dr. Gallagher, Dr. Koch, Dr. Roth assisting urology

Offline cbraeburn

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 01:22:44 pm »
I wonder what the difference is between robotic PPTV and "regular" PPTV.  Yes, I understand that a robot is involved, but what's the exact benefit?  I've been trying to learn as much as I can about this procedure because I'm planning to go to PriyaMED in India later this year for PPTV.  My insurance here in California would cover an inversion GCS, but why would I choose that when PPTV is available at relatively affordable cost.

Offline josie76

• Family
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 11:26:02 am »
I wonder what the difference is between robotic PPTV and "regular" PPTV.  Yes, I understand that a robot is involved, but what's the exact benefit?  I've been trying to learn as much as I can about this procedure because I'm planning to go to PriyaMED in India later this year for PPTV.  My insurance here in California would cover an inversion GCS, but why would I choose that when PPTV is available at relatively affordable cost.

So when I was speaking with the urologist and I gave him my research links, he brought up some of the videos shot by doctors doing PPV in India and other countries. Now these were generally MRKH patients. As he watched one he pointed out how the camera was shaking so much. He said that is not the fault of the surgeon. He said they were using the older laproscopic tools. These are straight tubs around 2 feet long or so with the controls at the one end. The surgeon has to manipulate the position of the tool inside while working the control with their fingers or thumbs on the opposite for end. Doctors get the job done with those tools but the thing he said was that with the robot there is no shaking around and that its almost like he has his hands inside the patient because the robot is so nimble and steady. This is from a urologist who does surgeries every single week with a robot.
Really robotic laprascopic surgeries is the newest medical standard but not all hospitals use them as they are very expensive. The hospital I went to ONLY does laprascopic surgeries with the robot anymore.

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 06:26:20 pm »
I had my prostate remove using the DaVinci robotic laparoscopic method in 2005.  At that time less than 30% of prostate removals were done using that.  My last urologist told me that now more than 80% were done that way.  At that time I was told that the surgeon can be much more accurate and precise with the tools at the end of those robotic, computer controlled arms.  It was called the nerve sparing procedure, which in my case didn't spare any nerves thereby resulting in probably one of the reasons I am who I am today.  That is a long story told face to face!
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)