Author Topic: Star Wars - Rise of Skywalker  (Read 355 times)

Offline JennyTG

• Family
Star Wars - Rise of Skywalker
« on: January 18, 2020, 04:52:26 am »
Has anyone seen it yet?  I'm in no hurry and will wait a while.  I heard most are giving it an average rating.

Offline Maria2018

Re: Star Wars - Rise of Skywalker
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 06:00:32 am »
I have and I loved it. It was one of the few films I considered watching in the cinema for a second time. For me though, Star Wars IV was the first, more grown-up film (ie not a Disney cartoon) that I ever saw in a cinema and Star Wars is my favourite film series, so all the fan service really appealed to me.
A friend of mine saw it and said he thought that it was an average film, but done in a way that was a brilliant ending to the whole thing. So I guess maybe it depends how much of a fan you are, and how much you will view it in the context of what has come before :)

Maria

GordonG

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 11:57:46 am »
With all the bad reviews I'm not going to bother. I'll probably see it some day when it is free on TV or Prime, or Netflix. I think Disney ruined the last few one's that it did. Too bad.

Offline KateR

• Kate
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 10:40:08 pm »
I never understood film critics.

I get it won’t be / wasn’t nominated for any awards, but it was fun.

And if you thought the revelation of Luke’s father being Darth Vader was a stunner, you’ll be floored by the identification of Rey’s parent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kate

Offline Julielynn

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 09:23:40 am »
Did you like The Force Awakens?   If you did, you'll probably like Rise even if you didn't like Last Jedi.   It felt about the same as that first one.   It's obviously heavily controlled by producers trying to be all inclusive and diversified and it shows how many useless characters there are that do nothing and add nothing to the plot. 

Just watch the Mandalorian, it's what the movies should have been.   So good! 

Offline Julie H

• Family
  • Formerly known as White Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 09:30:33 am »
It was ok, it was much better then Last Jedi. I generally enjoyed the show.
Julie

Offline JennyTG

• Family
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 03:55:43 pm »
Did you like The Force Awakens?   If you did, you'll probably like Rise even if you didn't like Last Jedi.   It felt about the same as that first one.   It's obviously heavily controlled by producers trying to be all inclusive and diversified and it shows how many useless characters there are that do nothing and add nothing to the plot. 

Just watch the Mandalorian, it's what the movies should have been.   So good!

Mmmm...TFA was okish, I have to see Rise just to complete the saga story but I will wait.  Oh wow, I've been hearing that so much about Mandalorian, I guess I will have to eventually then.

Offline JennyTG

• Family
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 03:59:41 pm »
With all the bad reviews I'm not going to bother. I'll probably see it some day when it is free on TV or Prime, or Netflix. I think Disney ruined the last few one's that it did. Too bad.

Yep, exactly...no doubt about it.  Not that the prequel trilogy were any better, ugh.

Offline JennyTG

• Family
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 04:01:58 pm »
Thanks for all the opinions guys, I love to hear how SW fans rate the new movies, always seem so divided.

Offline Kate.claire

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 04:18:18 pm »
I’ll add a little late to the conversation,  nice to talk on these boards about something other than gender *all* the time. I mean, it’s understandable and all, but...

I actually thought,  given the marketing pressure, fan service pressure, writing by committee and all, it was reasonably well done for such a big commercial product. Was one of the more reasonable movies of the 9.  Honestly,  huge fan of SW,  but none of the movies are really THAT great.  I mean,  my favorites were Empire and Star Wars,  but if I remove the nostalgia,  they’re not any deeper than the current ones.  That might be sacrilege,  but there you have it.

My cousin is a storyboard artist at Disney and all his industry buddies hated it,  but they hate everything that they didn’t do themselves.. so meh.

Actually enjoyed the Clone Wars cartoon series quite a bit, all the episodes allowed for more depth and ALMOST made the Anakin Skywalker downfall between Episode II and III palatable.

I like the Mandalorian,  not crazy about the post-John Williams soundtrack,  but had to happen at some point.  Some of the selections just feel wrong for the atmosphere of some scenes. My other frequent laugh is how much the individual episodes feel like a play session quest from WoW or Everquest...  Assassinate the target and be rewarded with rare ingots to craft into mythical chest armor +3. Repeat bounty quests and craft an entire suit of armor.  Save the poor villagers from the attacking monster (AT-ST) and win the affection of the princess.  Still reasonably fun though.

I like the Mandalrian
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:26:02 pm by Kate.claire »

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 09:32:11 pm »
I liked Rise of Skywalker. The first half of the movie was uneven, but the the second half redeemed the film. It’s not a classic, but it was good and fitting conclusion.

I started watching the Mandalorian, and i agree that it honestly reminded me more of a first-person shooter video game than a TV series. Each episode felt like a mission in a video game (“Go kill boss to move to next level”). The visuals are great, but the story is really thin. So I’m kinda ho-hum about the Mandalorian. I’m hoping it gets more interesting in Season 2.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Tags: