News and Events > Science & Medical News

Puberty blockers linked to lower suicide risk for transgender people

(1/3) > >>

stephaniec:
Puberty blockers linked to lower suicide risk for transgender people

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/puberty-blockers-linked-lower-suicide-risk-transgender-people-n1122101

NBC News/Jan. 24, 2020, 12:06 PM CST
By Tim Fitzsimons

"Transgender individuals who received puberty blockers during adolescence have a lower risk of suicidal thoughts as adults than those who wanted the medication but could not access them, according to a study published Thursday in the journal Pediatrics."

BrightWindow:
I'm not particularly surprised by this honestly. For some transsexual people the experience and aftermath of the puberty of your assigned sex can be very difficult, whereas by starting earlier, you never have these characteristics (e.g. hips and chest for FTM, facial hair and shoulders for MTF) to begin with so are spared the dysphoria from them.

Myself, I never liked male puberty but aside from a few months of depressed mood when I was 12, I was still able to have a great time during the first two or three years of male puberty during which most of the major changes took place. I didn't notice the masculinisation that much to be honest, because it was gradual and overall slight, and to this day I don't have that many male 2SCs especially when taken into genetic context (I come from a tall family with big feet anyway, so by comparison my height and foot size are not huge, but still above female average). I did notice my voice drop though due to a long period between hearing it recorded, and I do have a deep voice when I'm not practising etc. I definitely wasn't happy about that but it didn't give me enormous distress. I feel it would have been better if I had begun my medical transition before or in the earlier stages of male puberty but I'm definitely still in a good position and so far I've never felt suicidal about it.

stephaniec:
it would of been interesting to not have lived in depression most of my life

BrightWindow:

--- Quote from: stephaniec on January 24, 2020, 02:53:47 pm ---it would of been interesting to not have lived in depression most of my life

--- End quote ---
:(

Erika_:
They certainly would have helped me, but back then the doctors here were still performing lobotomies and other barbaric practices.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version