Author Topic: Puberty blockers linked to lower suicide risk for transgender people  (Read 616 times)

Offline stephaniec

• SPARTA Trans Veterans AKA Stephaniec ( Garbo ) Diabla
  • Family
Puberty blockers linked to lower suicide risk for transgender people

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/puberty-blockers-linked-lower-suicide-risk-transgender-people-n1122101

NBC News/Jan. 24, 2020, 12:06 PM CST
By Tim Fitzsimons

"Transgender individuals who received puberty blockers during adolescence have a lower risk of suicidal thoughts as adults than those who wanted the medication but could not access them, according to a study published Thursday in the journal Pediatrics."

Offline BrightWindow

• Friend
Re: Puberty blockers linked to lower suicide risk for transgender people
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 01:57:42 pm »
I'm not particularly surprised by this honestly. For some transsexual people the experience and aftermath of the puberty of your assigned sex can be very difficult, whereas by starting earlier, you never have these characteristics (e.g. hips and chest for FTM, facial hair and shoulders for MTF) to begin with so are spared the dysphoria from them.

Myself, I never liked male puberty but aside from a few months of depressed mood when I was 12, I was still able to have a great time during the first two or three years of male puberty during which most of the major changes took place. I didn't notice the masculinisation that much to be honest, because it was gradual and overall slight, and to this day I don't have that many male 2SCs especially when taken into genetic context (I come from a tall family with big feet anyway, so by comparison my height and foot size are not huge, but still above female average). I did notice my voice drop though due to a long period between hearing it recorded, and I do have a deep voice when I'm not practising etc. I definitely wasn't happy about that but it didn't give me enormous distress. I feel it would have been better if I had begun my medical transition before or in the earlier stages of male puberty but I'm definitely still in a good position and so far I've never felt suicidal about it.
Profile picture credit:
"Nastasia (Modern)" by fawfulthegreat64
https://www.deviantart.com/fawfulthegreat64/art/Nastasia-Modern-Super-Paper-Mario-10th-676052566
Used with consent.

Offline stephaniec

• SPARTA Trans Veterans AKA Stephaniec ( Garbo ) Diabla
  • Family
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 02:53:47 pm »
it would of been interesting to not have lived in depression most of my life

Offline BrightWindow

• Friend
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 03:10:23 am »
:(
Profile picture credit:
https://www.deviantart.com/fawfulthegreat64/art/Nastasia-Modern-Super-Paper-Mario-10th-676052566
Used with consent.

Offline Erika_

• Friend
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 12:30:56 pm »
They certainly would have helped me, but back then the doctors here were still performing lobotomies and other barbaric practices.

Offline Sophiaprincess2019

• www.tickerfactory.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 01:38:38 pm »
...I'm definitely still in a good position and so far I've never felt suicidal about it.

I was just thinking about transgender suicide and it's causes. When I think about why some TG people choose to end their own life I look to the reasons/causes that led them to believe there was no other way except an early exit. While many of us know there is always another option, some actually make this decision regardless of the protests of support personnel like family, therapists, doctors, close friends and relatives.

I think the current state of society plays a major role here, mainly anti-transgender sediment, laws, etc. When society goes against you for being yourself it can seem that you are alone against something much bigger than your abilities to fight back, becoming easily overwhelmed and eventually grow tired of the "fight" and decide to check out.

The people, agencies and powers that go against transgender people need to realize something: Transgender people didn't have the luxury of choosing to be transgender, but, they have the ability to choose not to go against someone because of their gender identity, placing them at greater risk of suicide.
1968 Assigned male at birth with feminine mannerisms
1978 Dolls and dresses
1988 Experimental stage, limited makeup and clothes
1998 Denial continues, unsuccessfully tried living as a man
12-8-2018 Knew I was a woman, time for a change....
2-22-2019 Started HRT
8-9-2019 Legal Name Change
8-14-2019 New Drivers License issued with correct gender
9-5-2019 Social Security card updated
10-12-2019 Birth certificate updated
2-22-2020 One year HRT

Offline BrightWindow

• Friend
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 03:11:36 pm »
lobotomies
I don't think I know what this means. Would you mind informing me?
Profile picture credit:
Used with consent.

Offline RandyL

• Non-binary
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 04:17:30 pm »
From Oxford: "Lobotomy is a surgical operation involving incision into the prefrontal lobe of the brain, formerly used to treat mental illness."

Obviously barbaric and inappropriate to treat gender dysphoria.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Casting about for my best path forward...

Offline Zumbagirl

• Family
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 05:07:10 pm »
Meh, it's statistically flawed. If you go outside looking for pigeons and then you find a pigeon that equate to success.

Offline BrightWindow

• Friend
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 02:02:50 am »
From Oxford: "Lobotomy is a surgical operation involving incision into the prefrontal lobe of the brain, formerly used to treat mental illness."

Obviously barbaric and inappropriate to treat gender dysphoria.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Thanks for the information.
Profile picture credit:
Used with consent.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 05:50:13 am »

For certain psychiatric problems, they'd remove part of the brain.  Another favorite was electroshock therapy.  Watch the movie One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.
I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.

Offline Geeker

• Friend
  • life is one kick in the hind parts after another
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 01:57:36 pm »
Assuming there's a consenting adult somewhere in the picture...
I'm not out, I'm not on E, unless things change I doubt I ever will be.

Offline Jenny_Oh

• Friend
  • One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman - SdB
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 09:50:34 pm »

Yeah, I could have done without the 2 suicide attempts, the edema and tremor inducing Lithium and nauseating, insomnia from Zoloft. Who knew estradiol was such a miracle worker  :laugh: :laugh: God, it's amazing, peace at last  ;D ;D

Offline JanePlain

• M2E2?2->ME
  • Finished questioning...
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2020, 12:29:25 pm »
Yeah, I could have done without the 2 suicide attempts, the edema and tremor inducing Lithium and nauseating, insomnia from Zoloft. Who knew estradiol was such a miracle worker  :laugh: :laugh: God, it's amazing, peace at last  ;D ;D

I missed reading these threads when they were new but this just begs the question. Is this form of depression a direct effect of having been wired (brain wise) female but stuck inside a body thats pumping male hormones into it?  I've joked that Estrogen is a highly addictive antidepressant but now I wonder???  More and more in just the last couple of years there have been great leaps in being able to medically (with machines like MRI) diagnose mental illnesses. I asked my therapist what was going on before this and her honest answer was "All I can tell you is that it was a great relief to have affirmed that mental health is "REAL" without a doubt now and that we've dedicated ourselves to treatment of a medical issue." Also that its wonderful to be able to measure success of drug therapy. For example is a particular drug reducing depression more or less then another?  Or even working at all!" 

If any of you have studied history of the medical world we can all laugh at the stupid ideas of Doctors of long ago that had no concept of germs and thought leeches were great for sucking out the "poisons" that must be the cause of people being sick, blood letting or putting radium into pills thinking it would cure anything. I think every generation fails to realize there are things being done now that 50 or 100 years from now will make people wonder how stupid we must have been.

Now with these studies of male / female brain structure being "viewable" (as if they were ever the same??) I think these studies showing pre HRT trans people whose brain reflect what they have felt and or been telling people should put aside some of the horrible stigma attached to us.  I just wish this all had happened before I hit puberty (or anytime for that matter) 

Thank GOD you failed in your suicide attempts. As one of your friends it would cut me to the core. To anyone reading this who is pondering that option someone once told me, "don't make perminent decisions to a temporary problem"  Love to you all who have suffered so greatly as to consider suicide. I hope this brings some peace to you if the problem was second guessing you had a medical condition or as other (idiots mostly - uninformed at least) suggested it was you choosing an alternative lifestyle.

Which btw... For the m2f transpeople. How silly does it sound to spend years of time, significant expense and pain to go from male with all its privlages, higher income, increased openings for leadership positions (I could go on but I don't want to insult f2m people) to be paid poorly, not taken seriously in many cases leadership wise, loose your male muscle mass and thus becoming an easy target for violence and forgetting the trans part of things being a woman which means being a target for crimes like rape?

Dear GOD How can it NOT be medical?

Tags: