Author Topic: what age did you decide to transition  (Read 5726 times)

Offline Alice Skye

• Friend
  • "She was only just discovering who she was..." -CH
Re: what age did you decide to transition
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2020, 12:26:14 am »
"Start by holding your head high... You're only a mouse if you let them make you one" Christina Henry from 'Alice'

Offline graspthesanity

• Friend
    • graspthesanity writing blog
« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2020, 10:05:52 am »
Between 20 and 21 I realized that I was trans and gay, which led me to question everything for a while, because I had been denying something I had known since birth, probably.

Offline Katie76

« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2020, 11:55:02 am »

Offline DeniseGrace

« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2020, 03:09:58 pm »

And due to some likewise "older" transitions listed here, I feel more comfortable with it

Offline Tessa James

• Family
  • Enjoying this self liberation
« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2020, 03:11:19 pm »
As so many here have explained I made efforts all my life to be my true self.  As a kid that involved magical thinking and as an adult my shadow self was submerged but ever present.  I made frequent overtures to appear somewhat androgynous and have worn my hair long most of my life.  I made several attempts to come out and that resulted in being seen as gay or bisexual.  That is only one part of my identity while formal medical transition with HRT awaited my 61st birthday.  Again, like so many of us here, it felt less of a choice than an imperative to finally live a life worth celebrating today.  Over seven years now with my reclaimed girlhood and curvy self a joy every day. 

I spent many days here connecting with others and understanding where I fit in a far more diverse transgender world than the usual and too simple narrative may suggest.  Once I got to self acceptance my impatience to arrive was too keen.  Luckily transition takes time and maturity may take forever ;)
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013

Offline Confused1

• Non Binary
« Reply #165 on: June 05, 2020, 11:14:13 pm »
I guess transition can be different to each individual. To some it might mean hrt. To some it could be total transition and Binary. To others it may mean somewhere in between.

I felt like I should be like my baby sister at a young age. Fairly strong dysphoria at puberty, but that was way before the Internet. Didn't understand what was happening. Dysphoria raised its head again at one point after that, but I beat it down, thinking it was just fantasy. Life went on.

I guess I got the cart in front of the horse!

Started researching GRS as a possibility at age 63 for a medical issue other than dysphoria. Have thought about it almost every day since I knew it was a possibility.

Decided to go for it at 64 after reading WPATH and DSM over and over and over. I felt like I fit the criteria listed. I definitely didn't want certain parts and needed something different. Not Binary though.

Didn't entirely understand why it was so easy to decide until 2-3 weeks ago at 65 while reading a thread on Susan's. Everything just clicked into place. Cis people don't have the thoughts I have, at least not continually. Still new to this and can't say doubt doesn't creep in at times. I found I am not alone in that either.

Offline mm

« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2020, 09:52:03 am »
Confused1, You make several good points, as we age things do change. Are you making any progress in deciding to definitely have grs and who would be your surgeon?

Offline Confused1

• Non Binary
« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2020, 11:00:10 am »
Confused1, You make several good points, as we age things do change. Are you making any progress in deciding to definitely have grs and who would be your surgeon?

I started seeing a therapist and intend to have GRS. Doesn't mean I don't have doubts, but I know I need it. As for surgeons, I have read some comments and reviews here and other places about different surgeon and results. I am thinking about one in Kansas City. I have not contacted them yet or made a definite decision.  It is a long drive, but I am on Medicare and there aren't a lot of surgeons nearby, at least ones that accept Medicare.

Offline mm

« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2020, 11:12:34 am »
I good therapist can sure be helpful especially helping to keep one thinking the correct direction.

Tags: