Author Topic: Analog vs Digital  (Read 331 times)

Offline Andrea Candle

• Friend
    • My Music Channel
Analog vs Digital
« on: January 26, 2020, 04:17:14 pm »
What do you prefer? Personally, I prefer analog photos,this plasticity. I also like Polaroid and Fujifilm instax,love to have developed photos and have them in physical form :)
“Stop thinking and end your problems.” Lao Tzu

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: Analog vs Digital
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 04:26:34 pm »
What do you prefer? Personally, I prefer analog photos,this plasticity. I also like Polaroid and Fujifilm instax,love to have developed photos and have them in physical form :)

@Andrea Candle
Unfortunately, analog film photography is going the way of VCRs, 8 track tapes and Cassette Tapes.   I was an avid film buff in the past with Nikon and Cannon film cameras, developing equipment, etc.... but the supplies and particularly the Film itself is becoming more difficult to procure especially in the oddball ASA film speed ratings, etc.

I have been shooting Digital now since the mid-90's and I print much of what I shoot so that I do have a picture in physical form.

I have lots of money tied up in film Cameras, Flash equipment, Lenses, Filters, Accessories and developing equipment that is becoming more and more worthless every day that passes.....
.... very sad for sure.

Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline Jessica_K

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 04:36:26 pm »
I have a Bronica 6x6 with a prism head and a collection of lenses and a canon 35mm, I have not used them for a very long time, but when I did I used to develop the film and then scan to digital, best of both worlds!?

They deserve to be in a museum lol

Jessica xx

Offline Andrea Candle

• Friend
    • My Music Channel
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 04:47:16 pm »
I have a Bronica 6x6 with a prism head and a collection of lenses and a canon 35mm, I have not used them for a very long time, but when I did I used to develop the film and then scan to digital, best of both worlds!?

They deserve to be in a museum lol

Jessica xx

yep, the best of both worlds such a hybrid can also be great, I like it the most in music, digital synthesizers in cassette or vinyl :)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 04:58:56 pm »
I push a few buttons on my telephone to take pictures or to make videos for the most part now.
Otherwise I would use a DSLR.

Chrissy

Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Jessica_K

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 05:07:50 pm »
I push a few buttons on my telephone to take pictures or to make videos for the most part now.
Otherwise I would use a DSLR.

Chrissy

I agree with you there Chrissy, I used to carry a DSLR and all the lenses, now for the last 5 years all I take is my phone and get stunning pictures. I used to belong to a club and have had photographs in regional exhibitions, but I have not printed any for 10 years or so, they all sit on a cloud somewhere

Jessica xx

Offline KathyLauren

• Casting off dull certainty
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 05:27:45 pm »
My specialty is astrophotography.  It simply would not be possible to do what I do without the processing that is possible in the digital realm.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly, beginning full-time; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2019-10-18 Phone consultation for GRS; 2020-03-11 GRS!; 2020-09-30 New birth certificate

Offline Jessica_Rose

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 06:02:47 pm »
I went all digital around 1998. For the last ten years or so I have taken photos for two local fastpitch softball teams. I usually take around 1500 - 1700 photos per game. I simply could not do this with film! Outside of softball, the ability to switch the ISO on the fly based on lighting conditions is also really handy.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA with Dr. Ley on 21 Feb 2019
GCS II and FFS - GCS II and FFS with Dr. Ley on 26 July 2019
FFS II - FFS II with Dr. Ley on 13 Oct 2020
23Mar2017 Started Estradiol / 16Feb2018 Full Time! / 21Feb2019 GCS / 26July2019 GCS II & FFS

Don't let others tell you who you are. Be yourself, the world will adjust.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 06:43:38 pm »
Back in the old days, I developed my own film and printed in a darkroom. Messy and expensive. Digital is much easier and actually I can get better results with digital photos.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Andrea Candle

• Friend
    • My Music Channel
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 07:49:16 am »
My specialty is astrophotography.  It simply would not be possible to do what I do without the processing that is possible in the digital realm.

WOW astrophotography sounds great,I bet you have beautiful collection,do you have your favorite/special photo?

Offline KathyLauren

• Casting off dull certainty
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 09:23:06 am »
WOW astrophotography sounds great,I bet you have beautiful collection,do you have your favorite/special photo?

This one won me a pile of awards.  It is the March photo on the RASC's 2020 calendar.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly, beginning full-time; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2019-10-18 Phone consultation for GRS; 2020-03-11 GRS!; 2020-09-30 New birth certificate

Offline Andrea Candle

• Friend
    • My Music Channel
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 09:48:15 am »
Beautiful,congrats:)

Offline Liina

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 09:49:54 pm »
Yes film photography did give a great base of knowledge of how to take pictures and understand light and reading it. On a big photo trips in years past, shooting 100-200 rolls of film was such a big deal, packing it all around with you, keeping it cool, no x-rays, big glass. With film I liked the use of small batteries to run the meters but certainly not the confines of ASA/ISO. Nowadays with super sensitive CCD's or sensors it has opened up a huge area not previously accessible with film. I started with a Pentax system, moved to a Nikon system where I still keep my interest. Yes phones have been easy and have wiped out point and shoot cameras with 1 hour developing. As Kathy Lauren mentioned, some stuff is not possible without digital. Great shot by the way Kathy! I recently cashed in a whole bunch of film bodies with KEH and was able to upload to the next FX body in Nikon's line. I still have a 4x5 film camera that I will dig out again and use, can still film for. In fact I heard that film is making a resurgence albeit a small move back to it. We have witnessed a change in documenting life by going from Analog to Digital!

Offline Tess100

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 11:11:32 pm »
I had a very lucrative, fun and creative career as a commercial photographer  in my 20s and 30s when digital photography was talked about as something out in the future.   The environment is for the better with digital photography but that is the only positive thing I can say about it.  There are so many subtle nuances of silver based images that have been lost. I still find it sad that Polaroid type 55 film is gone.  I will always remember how amazing it was to pull 8x10 transparencies out of the box fresh from the lab and lay them out on the light table. I kept 1 film camera, a Horseman VHR press camera, when I transitioned over to digital with the idea that I will shoot silver based film again. 

Offline Liina

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 11:25:32 pm »
Hi Tess, yes agreed, so much has been lost with the change to digital, I am sure that the time Ansel Adams spent in his darkroom to finally get the perfect print of "Moonrise over Hernandez" could have been spent getting more fine B&W photos. It is astounding the time put into film photography. With slide/positives it was much easier to send them away, however now we do the processing with digital. In some ways it is similar. I do resent the life span of digital body nowadays, 3-5 years then kaput! At least with a film body we could 10 years out of them.

Tags: