General Discussions > Music

Do you think rock is dead?

(1/4) > >>

Andrea Candle:
Gene Simmons has no illusions and claims that rock is dead.What do you think could have killed rock music? Fans, internet or maybe music labels? Once in the 90s I had a band and we dreamed of signing a contract with the label, at a time when CDs and cassettes were selling well, today you only need to play concerts and have a second job to survive. Streaming is also killing this business. Hip-hop sells more, you don't need to have talent for this genre to exist. There are also too many copying bands.Rock music has gone underground,like the old times....

Haley Conner:
Rock isn't dead, but it's not being produced much by the major labels.  However it is still the standard in bars and festivals and other events.

randim:
I wouldn't say it is dead, but it is certainly not what it once was.  The internet is a big part of that.  It makes it possible for music to be distributed more easily and widely, which contributes to a balkanization of the audience for rock music. When music was on physical media, the record labels were gatekeepers for what would be produced and played.  I think this helped foster more of a mass culture, musically speaking. You had acts that would fill stadiums and such.  Now, very few acts can draw a crowd that big. It's kind of a catch-22.  It's probably easier to be a musician now that in years past, but the chances for stardom and big money (or really, any kind of livable money) are a lot smaller.

Haley Conner:
IMO it's harder to be a musician on the club level since DJs became a thing.  They are a safe bet from a club owners perspective, and they often get paid more than musical groups.  When you hire bands, it can be hit and miss, and many of them prefer to avoid the risk.

Andrea Candle:

--- Quote from: Haley Conner on January 29, 2020, 11:26:18 am ---Rock isn't dead, but it's not being produced much by the major labels.  However it is still the standard in bars and festivals and other events.

--- End quote ---

Yes...major labels don't see the future in rock.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version