Author Topic: Curlers??  (Read 153 times)

Offline Newlife65

• Visitor
Curlers??
« on: June 28, 2020, 11:29:13 am »
Hello Ladies,
I am looking for help in learning how to use curlers, in lockdown I have been able to grow my hair the longest it has ever been.   My hair dresser who likes longer hair on men as been just trimming & reshaping my layers.  In guy mode I receive compliments from men and women. I have a natural light curl in my hair, a couple of time I have been called “ma’am,” which I LOVED as I drove in the security gate guard when I had to go into office.
I would like to try curlers, looking for something like “Curlers for idiots”.    😉

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: Curlers??
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 12:24:43 pm »
Hello Ladies,
I am looking for help in learning how to use curlers, in lockdown I have been able to grow my hair the longest it has ever been.   My hair dresser who likes longer hair on men as been just trimming & reshaping my layers.  In guy mode I receive compliments from men and women. I have a natural light curl in my hair, a couple of time I have been called “ma’am,” which I LOVED as I drove in the security gate guard when I had to go into office.
I would like to try curlers, looking for something like “Curlers for idiots”.    😉

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

@Newlife65
Dear NewLife65
    Thank you for coming to the Forums.
    I am most pleased that you had decided to join the Susan's Place site.

Please know that I am not trying to sidetrack your questions and thoughts.... but please allow me to officially welcome you here.
    Thank you for writing your first posting.... as you get more involved in exchanging comments on various posts other members will be along to offer their thoughts and comments in response to any of your specific questions and concerns..

This is the right place for you to be to find out what others may have to say that may have been in your circumstances and with your questions and concerns.
    There are a lot of members here that will be able to identify with your situation as you continue to feel free to share it.

I also want to warmly WELCOME you to Susan's Place
You will find this a safe and friendly place to share with others and to read about others similar trials, tribulations, and successes.

As you are certainly aware you can share with others and involve yourself with some give and take with other like-minded members.  When frustrated or if you have successes you can share it here if you wish and receive support from others and offer support to others. ....
     ***It's a very good chance that you might find that you will make some new friends here. 

Please come in and continue to be involved at your own pace.

There is information and important LINKS that I have included below.   You will find information about the site that will help you navigate around and best utilize the features here.   
Please look closely at the LINKS in RED, answers are there to many questions that new members ask.

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place.
Danielle

Here are some links to the site rules and stuff that all new members should be familiar with:

Things that you should read
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 12:25:08 pm »
@Newlife65
Dear NewLife65:

OH, another thing....  Please feel free to stop by the Introductions Forum to briefly tell more members about yourself!

With more exposure to more members here you will be able to get more responses to your questions and concerns.

Wishing your well as you continue to be involved in the forums.

NOTE: Now, after all of this Greeting and Welcoming stuff, I will give you and others the thread back so that the conversation can continue.

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place.
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline Lyric

• Family
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 11:46:13 am »
Getting past the necessary formalities and back to the topic... you've touched upon one of my favorite things-- the roller set. I just realized a couple of days ago it had been too long since I set my hair and it was fun to do it again.

Without seeing you I can't really suggest a specific style, but I can give you some tips from many years of of curler-mania. These days curlers have fallen rather out of fashion in favor of electric curling rods, but I far prefer a roller set. I'm also not a fan of electric curlers, and those seem to be rather less popular these days, too.

The most widely used cool curler is the velcro roller. They have the advantage of staying in the hair well, sometimes without pinning, but can also tangle in your hair easily. Completely avoid them if you have very fine hair. In my early curler days I used brush rollers, which are still around. They cling well, but do require pinning and tend to be kind of heavy. The smoother plastic curlers are called "magnetic curlers" and are light and easy on the hair. They are called magnetic because they are supposed to cling to the hair by static electricity, but I've never experienced that. They do work well if you clip the in well and put a net over while drying.

For years I used the 1 1/4" or so "jumbo" curlers most of the time, but since Jennifer Aniston changed hairstyling back in the '90s I've often followed her lead using the huge 2 1/2" or 3" curlers. They tend to give more of a straighter look.

Anyway, if you shop around curlers can be found pretty inexpensively, so I'd suggest trying a couple of different types until you find some you like.
"Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life." - Steve Jobs

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 12:03:30 pm »
I'm thinking back to my youth when all the women and girls had
orange juice concentrate cans in their hair.  ;D
Veteran, US Army

Offline Jenny_Oh

• Friend
  • One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman - SdB
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 01:15:47 pm »
I am looking for help in learning how to use curlers, in lockdown. Any suggestions?

Socks!

https://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/article/how-to-curl-hair-with-socks

Tags: